Oh My Gosh :(

I just met my cousin for lunch today and her two year old is in a noback booster!!!! Her 10 month old is forward facing with aftermarket strap covers and twisted straps!!!

Arg!! What do I do?? I asked her why her kids aren't rear facing still because my 9 1/2 month old has the same stats as her 10 month old and he is rearfacing, and I have daycare kids at 3 who are still rearfacing.. Her exact word were "people can't tell me what to do with my kids... Rearfacing past 1 year, yeah right"

I up and left. Sent her numerous messages with facts, info and videos on Facebook and texted her. She hasn't responded to anything. I am so worried about her kids and I am just praying to god that her kids stay safe in that car!

ADS

tjham

I sympathize with you. I would have a hard time being friends with someone who was so flip about her children's safety. Hopefully she will think over what you said and improve the situation but don't hold your breath! :(

Kat_Momof3

I think you did what you could... you gave her info... after that, I suggest heavy drinking prior to ever looking in her car again.

Baylor

IS there laws in the state you can show her? Is there a reportable number you can call that will help and not make her feel like her Children are going to be taken?

I would report her in an instant. Here in PA it is now a primary offense if children are not in appropriate seat and restrained properly.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Baylor said:
IS there laws in the state you can show her? Is there a reportable number you can call that will help and not make her feel like her Children are going to be taken?

I would report her in an instant. Here in PA it is now a primary offense if children are not in appropriate seat and restrained properly.

Is there any place I can find the new law info? In my search, all I found was this (not proper use):

http://www.drivesafepa.org/Resources/CPS Law Summary.pdf

ETA: actual law wording: no proper use, just follow the manufacturer's guidelines ( weight and height limits).

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter102/chap102toc.html

I should also add that I'm out of town and on the mobile app, hence my weird links and bad copy/paste.

Baylor

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=196325

Click Link in thread gives you all states and laws. This is where I learned about it first!

ETA and it has no specific requirements like other states. I would just let her know of the fine and proper usage and then try and get her on board. If not, There is not much more you can do.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Baylor said:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=196325

Click Link in thread gives you all states and laws. This is where I learned about it first!

ETA and it has no specific requirements like other states. I would just let her know of the fine and proper usage and then try and get her on board. If not, There is not much more you can do.

Yeah, but that's not proper use, that's just changing from secondary to primary offense. Technically, a 1 year old that's 30lbs is not an offense in a BPB (I can't off the top of my head what booster it is, a Cosco one? I'm sitting in a seminar tapping under the table right now, lol). The law doesn't say anything about bring strapped in CORRECTLY, or installed correctly, just that they're in one. Not that they're checking, even now...

ETA, it's the Cosco HighRise I'm thinking of, a backless booster. That would be totally legal :/

Baylor

Lol. I just would my shard the particulars of the law;) I'd just tell he'd she can get a ticket for not having her kids properly restrained.

auto correct hates me

Oh and one time, I went to her house (her SIL invited me to babysit my cousins kids with her) and we went out to an indoor playground and her SIL put the 10 month old (5 months old then) in her infant carrier, with a HUGE coat, loose straps and the chest clip down at the crotch strap and that's not even the worst part! She didn't have the base, and her SIL is the most uneducated person, so she put the seat FORWARD FACING and Installed totally wrong! I scared to death!!! My cousins 2 year old was forward facing with a coat, twisted and loose straps, and aftermarket strap covers. I said something to her and she didnt do anything about it. I texted my cousin about it and she was like "yeah the baby is supposed to be rearfacing, but she doesn't need to be, that's just the way the car seat goes but I'm sure she will be fine forward facing" I flipped my shit on her, and now 5 months later here she is!! Ugh

mominabigtruck

If it's someone I know, I'm just like hey, let me help you out with that and I fix it. If you act authorative and have confidence people will just follow your lead.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: T4K

T4K

Even if it's someone you don't know...

I was at Whole Foods the other day eating lunch. An older woman had a Graco infant bucket trying to get it into a highchair (I think she was thinking of when you can turn those wooden highchairs upside down and rest the bucket on it), so I just asked her if she needed help and I suggested that it's easy to just stick the baby in the booth next to her. She was real thankful and told me how that was Her grandbaby and she hasn't had to play mom in a long time. As I was cooing over the baby I asked her if she would mind me adjusting that baby's twisty straps. They were loose, twisted, and had a belly clip. I just narrated as I talked, "oh, you are soooo cute, I'm going to put this clip right over your chest so your itty bitty belly isn't squished!"

She was appreciative and said that she doesn't think her daughter knows all that and she was going to relay the message.

Anyway, point is...people become hurt and offended really easily so you have to tread lightly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC