Right at or above?

zactayaus

Trying Gavin out in the FR85 in my vehicle now (this will be our 4th seat we have tried this week:p). I'm trying to decide if I want the harness right at his shoulders or above. I know he's fine either way but wondering what would you do with your own child?

ADS

hrice

I keep mine right at. That's one of my favorite things about the Frontier. The harness positions are so close together.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I would rather see above and if I were advising a parent at a check I would say above as well. My reasoning is that it's easier to keep them at the right level. Kids can grow overnight (which is why I'm scrambling for new shoes for DS at the moment) and since you have to uninstall the Frontier to change the harness height in most cars, you won't be caught having to move the harness when you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry. As long as the harness can be properly tightenend, there is no harm in the harness being a little high.

mykidsmylife

Seths is slightly above. It looks right at but when you stick your finger through the cover the holes dont line up so it is actually slightly above. So yeah, right at.

glockchick

Depends on how his head is in relation to the head wings. Caleb's are set to the click above because he is right at the setting below and the head wings look weird to me on the lower setting. Very technical reasoning there I know. :ROTFLMAO:

Kat_Momof3

knowing that Gavin is one tall boy, I'd go with above... so you aren't having to constantly check his shoulders.

tracee877

Ours is slightly above right now and I don't like it. It makes the headwings halfway up his head. I also had to move the crotch buckle out to the middle slot and it's too far out. The FR85 is just not fitting my DS well at the moment.

zactayaus

Ours is slightly above right now and I don't like it. It makes the headwings halfway up his head. I also had to move the crotch buckle out to the middle slot and it's too far out. The FR85 is just not fitting my DS well at the moment.

I decided to go with right at (it may be just slightly above) for the moment and we have the crotch strap in the middle slot as well but the whole seat seems to fit him very nicely.:)

Pic from last night:
2012-04-21223826.jpg

bnsnyde

I always do above because then if it fits the oldest, it'll fit the smaller ones who can FF(well, usually that's the case).
Also, maybe it's just me but it seems much easier to have it above when I buckle. Right at, sometimes the fit doesn't seem snug or correct (slippage, etc.).

monstah

I always go above. I find myself sticking my fingers through the cover to double check a few times a week if the harness is right at. Drives me crazy. If it the harness is above, I can just buckle and go, easy peasy. :)

And seriously, I want Gavin. Please let me know when I can come pick him up. I'll even trade you two of mine - two for one. How can you say no. :p

Phineasmama

DD's are right at, but I keep having the urge to check and make sure they're not a little bit over :rolleyes: I'll probably put them on the next slot tomorrow.

zactayaus

I always go above. I find myself sticking my fingers through the cover to double check a few times a week if the harness is right at. Drives me crazy. If it the harness is above, I can just buckle and go, easy peasy. :)

And seriously, I want Gavin. Please let me know when I can come pick him up. I'll even trade you two of mine - two for one. How can you say no. :p

Well I might just take you up on that offer as he's been quite the handful with more attitude then I can handle the past couple of weeks.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC