I got two expired seats "off the road" today!

Kendrab2315

This morning before work I went out to go to some garage sales. At one of the last garage sales I went to, there was a grandmother selling two very expired seats (for $30!!!). Having actually been kicked off of someone's property before (yard sale) for politely telling them their seats were expired, I was hesitant to say anything, but I did. She was so thankful for me telling her! She asked what she should do and I offered to trash them for her :)

I cut up the straps and put them and the covers, which were gross, in the trash outside of my work and I wrote "crashed!!!!" on the shells and put them in the dumpsters out back of the grocery store by my work. I was originally going to bring them home and google where I should bring them but they stunk! There was no way I was leaving them in my car all day!

It feels good knowing no kids will be using them :)

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

Great :) what exactly, word for word, did you say to her? I usually go to garage sales around this time of year & I have saw some pretty old seats.

Kendrab2315

Great :) what exactly, word for word, did you say to her? I usually go to garage sales around this time of year & I have saw some pretty old seats.

Might not be the EXACT words, but it went something like, "hey I'm not sure if you know or not, because I just found out myself (lie), but car seats expire and yours expired about 4 years ago. You're supposed to destroy them once they expire because they can fail in an accident". After I told her she asked me to show her where you can find out if they're expired or not. I showed her the sticker and explained that most have a six year expiration from the date of manufacture. The DOM on her infant seat was 02 I think and her graco seat was 03 (or close).

When I got kicked out of the yard sale (lol), there were two Eddie Bauer seats and some lady was holding her itty bitty baby and looking at them. I heard the owner talking to someone else about her 10 year old twin grandsons. Because of that I went and checked the DOM's and they were expired. I tried to politely tell her and she flipped out at me telling me I didn't know what I'm talking about and that she doesn't understand why I'm trying to make her lose out on money. She made a huge scene while I jut stood there dumbfounded but at least the lady with the baby heard and didn't buy the seats!

ETA- my mom (who doesn't buy the whole "car seats expire") spent $2 on a HBB this past weekend because she saw it had expired! She didn't want confrontation so she didn't want to say anything to the lady. I guess I'm rubbing off on her :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC