3 y/o About to outgrow her RF seat-- WWYD??

AmandaKrone

CPS Technician
My 3 year 2 month old DD is 40" tall, has a torso height of about 14" (I think? haven't measured for a while), and is now right around 38 lbs. She had been 33-34 lbs since last February (2 year check-up), and then suddenly gained about 4-5 lbs pretty much overnight last week! I think she's also getting ready to get taller, just based on how she would grow when she was a baby (gain weight, then gain height).

She's currently in a Britax Boulevard 70. She has only about 1.5" of shell left, and with clothes she's probably 39 lbs. If she grows any more in height or weight she'll outgrow the seat, so it's definitely time to decide on the next step.

My original goal was to RF her to 3 years and switch her to FF when she got to 40 lbs or outgrew her seat by height. I just can't imagine her riding FF though. :eek: I tried her FF for about 5 minutes just driving around our neighborhood a few days ago. She freaked out about not having a place for her legs and complained the whole time about her back and legs hurting. She kept trying to stick her legs straight out into the back of the passenger seat in front of her and got very irritated that they were dangling.

I made a list of options for my DH last night and he wasn't amused. Some of them are jokes (obviously), but tell me what you'd do.

1) FF her in the Boulevard as soon as she gains another pound or 1/2" of seated shoulder height.

2) Buy a Radian or Foonf and RF her to 45 lbs, which could be a year + or could be a few months if she keeps growing.

3) Buy a Swedish seat and RF to 55 lbs. I do understand that it isn't legal to use in the US, but I am willing to accept a potential $25 fine for not using a proper car seat. In the event that she would die and I'd be responsible for her death (considered neglect), I would probably also be dead or I really wouldn't care about the consequences after losing her. :eek:

4) Put her on a diet so she'll stay under 40 lbs for a while. ;)

5) Become Amish and just ride in buggies, no car seat needed.

6) Turn her Boulevard FF and just always drive in reverse. :rolleyes:

WWYD?? I'm a new tech and don't know any others in my area. My DH is very supportive of ERF and wants me to be happy with the decision. His suggestion was to buy the Foonf, but I'm not really sure that it's the right choice.

ADS

creideamh

Personally (and this is what I would do, not necessarily recommend others do), if I could find the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another seat to continue to RF til at least 4. Especially since it seems like she's on board with continuing to RF. That's just me.

gsdguenter

Well, what's your budget? If you have a green light to buy whatever, the I'd go for either a Radian or Foonf. Otherwise, I'd flip her ff.

Of course, I have an MT and have bought a seat to rf my DD after the age of 3, so I may not be the best to ask lol

There is nothing wrong with turning her now if money is an issue. Hey, even if it isn't there is nothing wrong with turning her.

Easier said than done though, I know. I'm worried about DD1 outgrowing er RN soon and then she'd only be able to rf in one car (in her MT) and would have to go ff in the other 3 cars she rides in :p And she'll be 5 in August!

NannyMom

Personally (and this is what I would do, not necessarily recommend others do), if I could find the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another seat to continue to RF til at least 4. Especially since it seems like she's on board with continuing to RF. That's just me.

:yeahthat: I'm in the rear facing until at least 4 camp. I don't push HARD after a child is 2 to re-rear face. But if the parents are already all for it, I highly encourage it

babyherder

If I could afford it I'd buy another seat. I like new seats and if its safer I'll never feel guilty about spending the money.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wouldn't freak about turning her when she outgrows the seat, but if she wants to RF, you want her to RF, and you have the $$$ I'd 100% buy a new seat to RF.

lovemy2kidstw

If your husband agreed to get the foonf, that's what I would do! :). My daughter is the same age as yours & the same height, but she is 40 lbs. She is FF in a FR85. If I had lots of extra $$ laying around, & could get DH on board, I'd. Buy a foonf & re RF her. I am comfortable w/ her being FF at this age & size.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
At her age and size, I would not personally buy another seat. But, I also realize I'm in the minority around here when it comes to rf'ing as long as humanly possible and by any means possible.

Phineasmama

My son is the same age and I'm not ready to turn him yet :eek: I am buying a Foonf and he is RFing in an RXT in our other vehicle.

Since she just had a huge growth spurt I wouldn't worry too much, it could still be a while until she reaches 45 lbs. So basically if you have the money to get a new seat I would do it, otherwise great job on making it this far!!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I wouldn't buy another seat to RF a 3yo. I'd FF and know my child is safe.

If you have the money, then by all means, by a Foonf or Radian. :)

Kat_Momof3

at her age and size I wouldn't buy another seat or import from sweden (though I was sorely tempted when Ruthie went ff full time at 2.5yrs back when all the seats were lucky to have 33 or 35lb limits)... BUT... that reflects my finances.

if you can afford it easily, then I would spring for a higher limit seat... probably a Foonf as I lust for one for no reason and with no child to put in it (basically I wish I'd had one for my kids when they were little)

if not, I would breathe easy knowing that not only will she be rearfacing to the limits of her seat, at least 2yrs old, but that she's going to be one of the minority who ride in a properly installed and used seat 100% of the time.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At her age and size, I would not personally buy another seat. But, I also realize I'm in the minority around here when it comes to rf'ing as long as humanly possible and by any means possible.

No, I'm there too. Nothing wrong with buying a new legal seat if it's not keeping groceries off the table, but I personally wouldn't do it for a typical 3yo. I definitely would not consider importing under the circumstances -- in my life, that would be reserved for special needs or a 46# 1yo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC