Playing with a Peg convertible tonight.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My notes:

-The manual is supremely poorly written. So are some of the labels on the seat. The manual states that the built in "lockoffs" are NOT a substitute for a locking latchplate or retractor. If you do not have locking belts you must call them for a locking clip and instructions on how to install with it. Except... this isn't mentioned in the part about installing the seat forward-facing! Only in the section on belt types! Installation instructions simply say to route through the lockoffs and check for tightness. Um... Many belts don't automatically lock... The label on the back says "WARNING! ALWAYS USE TOP TETHER!" Except... you can't RF tether, and the manual says that while use without tether is allowed, it's always recommended. Um... that label needs re-wording. The manual reads very awkwardly, and was obviously written by someone for whom English was not a first language, which leads to very confusing statements in several places. And of course there's the LATCH limit snafu which we were already aware of (though the way the manual is written- it defers to the vehicle manufacturer if they give a higher limit.)

-It's actually quite tall. The 7th setting is the highest allowed for rear-facing; I sat Maggie in it (uninstalled) and... she didn't quite fit but she had almost 1/2 inch above her head. She has already outgrown the Radian a while ago, she's really tall especially in the torso, weighs 40 lbs. and will be 4 on Tuesday. I measure 24.5" with the cover compressed internal seating height at that setting, meaning a child who is 23.5" bum to head should fit properly... That's only 1/2 inch less than the SK Radians, and if Diono has the same shell height (I'm not sure) and now goes by 1.5" from top, that could be about the same.

-The infant recline cushion has to be used to 22 lbs. I could see that being an issue and uncomfortable for taller, older, skinny kids.

-40-45 degree angle required RF? Wow, that's generous. :rolleyes:

-The fabric is, as advertised, nice.

-7 year from DOM expiration.

-Adjuster for the harness is very easy to use, but was not intuitive to me, and allows for overshooting- I had to watch the back to make sure what setting I was on.

-Recline mechanism was difficult to use (though that could be just this particular seat.) The seat seemed to get stuck easily between settings; we couldn't even get it in the full upright position when we first tried; it was difficult to get it to "click" into place as required. (That audible "click" when it finally did work was great though- very loud and reassuring.)

-Rear-facing seatbelt install: almost as bad as a Peg infant seat seatbelt install. I cannot, literally cannot get my hand in the belt path. To buckle I had to turn the seat sideways, drop the buckle under, and access the bottom to pull through the other side. Um... Luckily the belt path is open at the bottom, unlike the Radian's closed belt path (then again, I can get my hands in that one.) They also say that belts with lightweight locking latchplates "are on older vehicles" (um... like the 2012 models that have them?) and may make the install poor or very difficult. They say the same thing about lap belts with locking latchplates- install may be very difficult (I can see that one being very true.)

-LATCH install RF: much better. 20 seconds to unhook the straps, 20 more to thread them correctly, about a minute to tighten them. It naturally installs at the allowed 40 degrees in my 2005 Honda Odyssey, without much trying for an angle at all. So that's good, I don't see much misuse potential there.

I didn't try forward-facing as it was late and I am tired and have to get up in 6 hours...

The seat installed with LATCH, maximum allowed RF height. You can see the leg room is quite decent, and the second picture shows how much room there was between the driver's seat (set for my 6'1" long-legged husband) and the seat, without any adjusting of the second row seat position from where it is usually (not all the way forward, but not near all the way back, either. It matches the setting I keep the other second row seat on for my booster rider, which just about gives her proper head excursion room.) As you can see, if I needed to I could have moved the seat forward significantly. I think this seat would do fine in cars with less front-back space than I have, even if touching the seat in front even gently is not allowed (*cough*Toyota*cough*.) It looks actually pretty upright but I measured the recline at 40.5 degrees from vertical.

IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG0774.jpg

(Sorry about pic quality being poor; it was almost 1 am when these were taken and the lighting was poor...)

My conclusion: a viable alternative to the Radian for ERF when space isn't as tight side-to-side but the Radian doesn't do well in that seating position due to overrecline (*cough*2nd row of Ody*cough*) or front-to-back room; decent leg room; won't last all kids to 45 lbs. RF but will probably get a LOT of them past 40, and many to 45; major RF seatbelt installation and manual issues but very nice with LATCH and fairly easy to use once you understand the gibberish manual; expensive but that does mean quality materials in this case though I am not so sure about some of the construction features; better for heavier kids (who will go over 22 lbs. quickly so you don't have to deal with the "newborn" positioning cushion); not nearly as bad as I honestly expected after years of dealing with Peg infant seats and their nonsense.

ADS

Syllieann

I think it looks like a great alternative to the radian once they get the manual and stickers fixed.:rolleyes: Carseatblog review said the manual is supposed to say 35-45 so that will make it a contender for small spaces for quite a bit less than the foonf. I really wish they had slapped the arb on for the states though.

glockchick

How does the top harness height compare to the Radian? To the BLVD?

And the width to a BLVD? Right now DS is in a BLVD forward facing in the suburban because that's what fits best and allows dd to be able to buckle her own seat belt, but he's nearing the top harness setting. I can't get a good install with the Radian in that seating location and I have to keep him there because it's lap belt only and the other kids need shoulder belts.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's pretty tall (I forgot to measure but I think someone else did...) And it's probably about as wide as a Boulevard, maybe a bit wider.

I would NOT want to install with lap belt in either direction, though. Not at all.

glockchick

Thanks! Very helpful. Guess I'll be making the FR85 work. It'd be perfect if it didn't have the red clips on the side to hold the cover on, and much easier if I didn't have to fit a booster next to it. Hopefully, Caleb won't outgrow the BLVD until Gabriel 5 steps and then I can put Gabe next to him without a booster. /crosses fingers

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC