Force the issue or let it ride?

Lenae

LOOONG story short, I have a girly Radian to fly with and a not girly Marathon. I'd really like to put Colton in the Radian, but he is flat out refusing.

Reasons I'd like to switch their seats; Chy can RF on the plane, and she is a major seat kicker. Colton will sleep better in the much more upright Radian because he's used to it.

Is it worth it to make him use the Radian and be upset for the whole trip (he holds grudges) or do I just FF both of them and hope for the best?

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What kind of Radian is it? I have a Shadow RXT cover I could send you but I'm assuming it wouldn't make it in time?

Lenae

Maybe only for the plane and switch around for the car?

Switching for the car would be no big deal at all, but Colton is pretty upset with the thought of riding in a flower seat on the plane. (I never ingrained gender stereotypes in this kid, he did it all on his own.)

What kind of Radian is it? I have a Shadow RXT cover I could send you but I'm assuming it wouldn't make it in time?

Thanks. It's a Spring RXT. We leave May 6th, I'm not sure it would get here in time, and I would hate to have it get here and me be already gone with no way to send back. I may just tell him to suck it up for a while.

I really hate to do this to him, but I think it might just be best.

crunchierthanthou

Thanks. It's a Spring RXT. We leave May 6th, I'm not sure it would get here in time, and I would hate to have it get here and me be already gone with no way to send back. I may just tell him to suck it up for a while.

I really hate to do this to him, but I think it might just be best.

I don't think Spring is all that girly. I wouldn't think twice about putting my son in one. :twocents:

Did you tell him it was a girl's seat? or is it just that his sister rides in it? You barely notice that it's flowers, and the colors are completely neutral.

T4K

I'd have a really awesome incentive waiting for him in Oregon. Maybe a special thing that he and you could go do.

Keeanh

Maybe get a bedsheet in boy colours or with cars on it or something (you must have some sheets you're leaving behind) and cut slots in it for the harness, cut off the extra, & tape it on. Yeah, it's "aftermarket", LOL, but it's just a sheet. Tell him "hey look, it's a special seat that's just for the plane" and don't even tell him it's his sister's seat.

Lenae

I like the idea of covering it. He's got John Deere tractor sheets from his crib days I could donate to the cause, lol.

I never told him it was a girly seat. His 'best friend' has been informing him since we moved here a year ago that all the things Colton likes are girly or babyish.

I have a firetruck toy waiting with my mom for when she picks us up. I could inform him ahead of time that a SUPER special surprise waits for him if he is nice and cooperative for the flight.

DH is in the 'don't give him a choice' camp. I just hate to upset him any more than this whole ordeal already has. He's pretty upset about moving. He loves it here. :(

gigi

I would not give him a choice, but i'd bribe his compliance with treats and surprises. And if possible, let him chose other stuff about the ride...who he sits next to, what shirt he wears, which treat he gets on board, what he gets to play with, and get lots of stickers and let him get crazy with them. He will make it!

I understand your dilemma. My son takes stuff very seriously and personally too, but usually I can bribe compliance in a pinch :)

SynEpona

I like the idea of covering it. He's got John Deere tractor sheets from his crib days I could donate to the cause, lol.
DH is in the 'don't give him a choice' camp. I just hate to upset him any more than this whole ordeal already has. He's pretty upset about moving. He loves it here. :(

DS would feel the same way about that seat. On a plane, I'm less worried about RFng, and more concerned with containment. If it would help,I would totally cover a seat with a sheet for the plane ride. I think it's kind of you to respect his feelings since this plane ride is more than *just* a flight. He's moving, which is hard for kids even when they don't like where they are leaving. I too have a boy that would hold a grudge for months if I forced the issue of a 'girly' seat. He didn't even want to sit in DDs seat for 2 min for photos the other day, just so I could show someone that if my 5yo still fits RFng, there was no good reason to flip their child the moment they hit the legal minimum.

crunchierthanthou

I just hate to upset him any more than this whole ordeal already has. He's pretty upset about moving. He loves it here. :(

Oh, you're moving and he's having a hard time? :( I didn't know the whole story, just that you had a flight coming up. FF his 2 year old sister on the flight and leave them in their own seats. No question. I started ff my kids on flights between age 2 and 3 anyway.

The person in front of her can deal with the kicking. Will you all 4 be flying together? If the plane seats 3 on each side, maybe put dh in front of her. Or if they're two on each side, put ds in front of her. Maybe just sit 2 and 2 in consecutive rows anyway? That way he's in front of her and you don't have to stress about the kicking.

cookie123

I also would say don't give him a choice, and bribery. I hope you have a great flight and your move goes okay. How long is the flight?

Kat_Momof3

I would totally cover it because it's for a plane ride, not an actual car trip... and... it's just a sheet... crash dynamics are totally different for a plane, plus... if you use a thin sheet, it'd be like wearing a thicker shirt... not much added.

otherwise, do whatever works when you get there?

teekadog

My son's 6 weeks older than yours and proudly rides in his Flora Radian- he picked the cover out himself.

Not that that changes your son's mind, of course.

I would force him. Or bribe him if I were desperate. But I would continue to drill into him that it's not a "girly" seat. Otherwise you'll soon be hearing that all car seats are "baby" seats and then you're screwed.

babyherder

Maybe someone can post a pic of their ds in a flora seat? Or a pink seat (even if its just for demo purposed the OP's ds doesn't need to know that).

I'd be understanding with your ds that this move is hard. Talk with him about it and let him know that you understand he is sad to be leaving. Certainly have something fun for him when you arrive. I'd give him the choice of riding in the seat as it is or covering it with something more "boyish." But ultimately you have what seats you have. When I make seat choices safety comes first, then convenience, then cover. Sometimes life isn't perfect.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC