Vent Tech hated our seat

LuBaby16

Today my husband and I took our convertible car seat to get safety checked by a tech and the tech was so condescending to us. His words, "I'm not a big fan of this seat." We purchased 20 pound 10 month old son and Evenflo Symphony e3 because he almost has just about outgrown his Cortina Keyfit by height. We have done tons of research on convertible car seats and love this one because of the safety features and the size. We have a 2009 Kia Optima and a Jeep Patriot, both are not huge as far as car seat space is concerned. Plus, I'm not tall and I can't have a very high backed seat sticking up in my rear view. Basically, the tech today had never seen an e3 and thought it was a horrible seat. Once he learned about the SureLatch system, he was able to get a tight fit. I basically had to stand there and recite loads of information from the owner's manuals from the Keyfit and the e3 while he chose to make it seem like I had no idea or that I didn't care about my child's safety. In determining if my son was ready to transition to a convertible seat, he asked me if he was walking yet (what does that have to do with anything?). He questioned why we were using the latch system as well, like it was a neglectful choice. I was so angry by the end of it from how he was treating us. I learned quite a bit from when we had our Keyfit installation checked and this one turned out to be so bad. Does anyone agree with me?

ADS

Baylor

First he is not supposed to install your seat. He's supposed to have you do it and watch and give advice.

Sounds like a jerk.

auto correct hates me

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Not all techs are created equally, I'm afraid.

The only question to ask about whether a baby is ready to transition to a rear-facing convertible is "does the convertible fit the baby" (does the baby meet the minimums of the car seat and can the straps be adjusted properly)? In the case of newborns, it's also to make sure there's room in the car to recline the convertible seat to an appropriate newborn angle.

The Symphony probably isn't the most popular seat on this forum, but it's still a nice seat. Who cares whether it's that tech's or anybody else's "favorite?" If it suits your needs then it's fine.

LuBaby16

Brigala said:
Not all techs are created equally, I'm afraid.

The only question to ask about whether a baby is ready to transition to a rear-facing convertible is "does the convertible fit the baby" (does the baby meet the minimums of the car seat and can the straps be adjusted properly)? In the case of newborns, it's also to make sure there's room in the car to recline the convertible seat to an appropriate newborn angle.

The Symphony probably isn't the most popular seat on this forum, but it's still a nice seat. Who cares whether it's that tech's or anybody else's "favorite?" If it suits your needs then it's fine.

He never made any interest in having me move my son into the e3 to see how it fits him. And although I had hoped he would have given me advice on buckling him in there properly, I realized he had no clue about that seat so I didn't ask him to help with that. My son is within the height and weight requirements for the seat thought for sure. What about the Symphony e3 is disliked on this forum?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I wouldn't say it's disliked. It just gets outgrown a bit more quickly than some of the other seats that are available in the same price range, especially for bigger or taller kids.

Baylor

LuBaby16 said:
He never made any interest in having me move my son into the e3 to see how it fits him. And although I had hoped he would have given me advice on buckling him in there properly, I realized he had no clue about that seat so I didn't ask him to help with that. My son is within the height and weight requirements for the seat thought for sure. What about the Symphony e3 is disliked on this forum?

It does not matter if other people don't like it. It is a good seat and you like it and he should have helped you install it properly and schooled you on proper usage.

I feel spoiled. I had a seat check from Monstah on this board and she took her time and made sure I knew about my seats and proper installs. She did it , then showed me how and checked it. When I left I felt I knew all I needed to about keeping my kids safe in my car with my particular seats.

auto correct hates me

lovemybabies924

Nothing is disliked, it just is outgrown faster than integer seats from what I have heard, I love the look and sturdy feel of it though! It was in the running for my youngest :) If you need help with it take it to a different tech... Maybe one from this board!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

LuBaby16

lovemybabies924 said:
Nothing is disliked, it just is outgrown faster than integer seats from what I have heard, I love the look and sturdy feel of it though! It was in the running for my youngest :) If you need help with it take it to a different tech... Maybe one from this board!

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

I'm located in Anchorage, AK. Are there any techs living here on this forum? Living here also narrowed our options down quite a lot. We wanted a 3 in 1 and there were literally 3 options at babies r us here. We wanted be sure it would fit in the car so we didn't want to order one online. Of the 3 options at the store, they only had 2 types in stock and the Alpha Omega Elite doesn't seem very great to me. Plus it's huge. Which seat is better and will fit in normal sized vehicles? This is such a difficult and stressful decision.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The Sym65 e3 is a very nice seat. If you're happy with it then I wouldn't change a thing.
Have you seen my blog review? It might answer any outstanding questions that you have.
http://carseatblog.com/16765/evenflo-symphony-65-e3-review-impressive/

Here is a list of techs associated with this board that will probably offer you a better experience. There is one in Anchorage: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

Anchorage & surrounding areas, Alaska
Anna
(An Aurora)
Technician since 2007
Special Needs Training

HTH!

LuBaby16

Kecia said:
The Sym65 e3 is a very nice seat. If you're happy with it then I wouldn't change a thing.
Have you seen my blog review? It might answer any outstanding questions that you have.
http://carseatblog.com/16765/evenflo-symphony-65-e3-review-impressive/

Here is a list of techs associated with this board that will probably offer you a better experience. There is one in Anchorage: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

Anchorage & surrounding areas, Alaska
Anna
(An Aurora)
Technician since 2007
Special Needs Training

HTH!

Your blog about it was actually our deciding factor in choosing it. Now everything keeps making me second guess myself. My son's safety is our number one cencern and this seat seems very sturdy and safe. I don't mind that it is heavy. I do want to keep him rear facing as long as possible and he has a long torso with short legs. I know people have said kids outgrow this seat early which is what is making me second guess it.

I will definitely look up a new tech, thank you for the link:)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Contact Anna, she can refer you to other techs in the area. ;) There are definitely a large number of them in Anchorage and out in the Valley.

(Also, you should tell Anna which tech you met with... if he installed your seat and didn't ask you to put the baby in the seat and strap him in to make sure you were doing it right, he needs some additional training and refresher.)

LuBaby16

Starlight said:
Contact Anna, she can refer you to other techs in the area. ;) There are definitely a large number of them in Anchorage and out in the Valley.

(Also, you should tell Anna which tech you met with... if he installed your seat and didn't ask you to put the baby in the seat and strap him in to make sure you were doing it right, he needs some additional training and refresher.)

Thank you. I will let her know. I had it checked at the military hospital on Elmendorf AFB so that may have been the problem.

LuBaby16

jeminijad said:
We use a Symphony e3 in my MIL's car and we really like it!

Really? That is great to hear. This is really stressing me out, haha. What do you use for your own car? Which do you prefer?

LuBaby16

Starlight said:
HA! I knew you were going to say that. :ROTFLMAO:

Do people have a lot of complaints about the techs on base? Even our first tech (who was much more informative) didn't watch us install it and give us tips. He just put it in. It makes me mad because now I know I was ignorantly driving my son around all this time and it could have been unsafe. This is what everything is like on base. Untrained people do everything: checking car seats, delivering babies, performing surgeries, etc. You name it and it's probably done wrong. I really thought I was doing the best for my child :(

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I've heard a few. I'm sure they're capable of doing things correctly, but from what I've heard, it sounds like they do make mistakes and are still doing things old school where they just install the seat instead of teaching people how to do it. This was how I was initially trained almost 5 years ago, but it's not how we do things now. We *all* make mistakes sometimes, myself included, but I do hear quite a few coming from that direction. :(

Being a military wife is one of those things that is just... well, it's just special. But since you mentioned medical issues a couple of times, I will point out that if you have a problem with base medical personnel, you NEED to file an ICE complaint or a complaint with patient advocacy. It's vital. Additionally, if it's really bad, you can also switch to Tricare Standard, with max out of pocket expenses per family at $1000 per year. Oh, and you can *always* go off base for maternity care, Tricare covers maternity at 100%.

LuBaby16

Starlight said:
I've heard a few. I'm sure they're capable of doing things correctly, but from what I've heard, it sounds like they do make mistakes and are still doing things old school where they just install the seat instead of teaching people how to do it. This was how I was initially trained almost 5 years ago, but it's not how we do things now. We *all* make mistakes sometimes, myself included, but I do hear quite a few coming from that direction. :(

Being a military wife is one of those things that is just... well, it's just special. But since you mentioned medical issues a couple of times, I will point out that if you have a problem with base medical personnel, you NEED to file an ICE complaint or a complaint with patient advocacy. It's vital. Additionally, if it's really bad, you can also switch to Tricare Standard, with max out of pocket expenses per family at $1000 per year. Oh, and you can *always* go off base for maternity care, Tricare covers maternity at 100%.

I did file a complaint with Patient Advocacy and when I followed up with them several times, they never returned my call. Nobody ever did anything about it. I walked around the hospital and asked a boat load of people where to file and ICE complaint and mysteriously nobody knew what I was talking about. We did switch to Standard. I couldn't take it anymore and even today, I get extremely nervous walking into that hospital because of the experiences I had there. You are also a military wife?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC