Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use the EFTA of unknown history

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Use the Cosco seat over the height/weight limits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Okay, My sister's Manny (boy nanny) needs to pick up all 3 of her kids this afternoon from my house. Here's the kids (I'm guessing on height & weight comparing to my own kids):

A: 9 48" 48lbs.
J: 8 52" 50lbs.
E: 5 38" 40lbs. (I know he's 40)

Seats: 2 Literiders & a Cosco Highback (with harness). NOT a good situation, 5yo is over the top slots plus over the weight.

There is only a lap belt in the middle so who goes there? And in what? My sister told the manny to put J, the biggest, in the center with just the lapbelt.

I have a few seats here that I was taking to recycle (my extras are all in dh's car or I'd let them take one of mine). I do not know the history on any but they are here and the other option is nothing. Seats: HBTB, EFTA

Would you just let them do what she said? I told her to "pick the child you love the least" She picked the biggest (makes some sense).
Have them use the HBTB of unknown history (with the biggest up front), or try to use the EFTA of unknown history if it will fit? And if he brings his girlfriend with him, I'm stuck with either a booster, EFTA, or nothing for someone in the middle. (girlfriend is a firefighter so I'm sure she will understand my wanting them to be safe).

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't use a harness with unknown history. Turbo with unknown history... maybe. (I wouldn't use the back though.) Any chance a kid will 5-step? Maybe the 8 year old 5-step in the back seat and you could put the 9 yo in a booster in front?

If none of that was an option, I'd do what she said and put the 9 year old (who is smaller than the 8 year old, but a year older- so would actually be my choice) in the lap belt and pray. :(

Brianna

I would put the oldest in the front with a literider, and the younger two outboard in the back. I would probably choose the unknown history HBTB for the 5 year old, and tell him to leave the girlfriend at home.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would put the oldest in the front with a literider, and the younger two outboard in the back. I would probably choose the unknown history HBTB for the 5 year old, and tell him to leave the girlfriend at home.

Ok, I missed the girlfriend. Yeah, girlfriend stays home.

And, I suppose that might work, but I'm still more comfortable with a backless than HB booster of unknown history- one less factor or point of failure, you know?

Brianna

Ok, I missed the girlfriend. Yeah, girlfriend stays home.

And, I suppose that might work, but I'm still more comfortable with a backless than HB booster of unknown history- one less factor or point of failure, you know?

Good point. Does the TB have the shoulder positioning strap with it in case the belt doesn't fit properly without the back?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have a spare strap downstairs I can put on. And no way to contact him before he comes so I won't know until he gets here if the girlfriend is coming.

Oh, and the 8yo & 9yo are only 6 weeks apart, A is barely 9 and J will be 9 in 10 days.

vangelder03

I would leave girlfriend at home go pick up 2 kids then drop them off and go back for the last one. but since they will more than likely be riding in the nannys car frequently does she normally have the kids in any type of car seats or boosters? what time is the nanny picking the kids up could you arrange a babysitter and give the kids a ride? could you borow a seat from somebody?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
So if the girlfriend comes, is it best to use the outgrown seat with known history, a harnessed seat with unknown history, or put the biggest kid in the middle with a lap-only belt? Ugh! I hate these situations where none is really a good, safe option.
And yes, he will need to transport all the kids more than just today. Thankfully, it is only once a week, when the older 2 get out of school early but then summer is coming and it will be more. My sister will not buy new seats (she does have more boosters but they are with other babysitters that live 40 minutes away today).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I probably would too. Unless she doesn't fit. Then I'd put the 9 year old there (less body mass and height=hopefully not going to travel quite as far and hit quite as hard?)

And I'd see if you can find a known-history harness for future use, I guess. :(

gigi

I am not a tech but after today I would forbid the manny from transporting the girlfriend in a safer position than my kid had (i.e., she stays home or rides in the lap belt). I'd then put my oldest in front with a backless and the two others in backless boosters outboard in the back (for today using unknown origin TB, but hopefully getting a backless with known history is an option as it costs almost nothing).

Would a 3 across even work in his car?

cmm7

I know this isn't one of the poll options but just want to make sure nothing obvious is being overlooked :p But are your seats not at home where you can lend the RN or MR for youngest kiddo to go in the lap belt position?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have my MR but then I'm left with nothing for my 2yo. My RN is in dh's car and I'm not sure I want to lend it out, especially to the manny.

My EFTA is also in Dh's car or I'd let them take that. We may re-think for another day but today I'm concerned.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Any chance if the girlfriend shows up you can help transport the kids to where they need to go this afternoon, and later do a little more planning (such as getting/loaning a HWH seat for that lap belt position or specify that the girlfriend needs to stay home)?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
The only way I can help transport is to leave my own kids home alone (the manny lives about 20 minutes from me) or put my kid (the RF) in his car so I can fit another kid in my car. So unless I leave my kids home, I can't, not enough seats.

Thanks for all the input. We'll see what happens when he gets here. (in about 20 minutes or less)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
He came with one backless booster (forgot the one my sister left for him). Great! So I sent an EFTA center and the backless TB & then the Combi Dakota backless he had. Hopefully he'll use the seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC