Sienna question, is it okay to slide the seats forward?......

emandbri

I remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that someone said their sienna manual said you have to have the seats of the van all the way back when you installed car seats. I've looked through my manual (2004) and I didn't see anything that said that. Is this something on the newer models? Is this person just confused?

I have a forward facing decathlon in the front and center with the seat about half way and a rear-facing marathon outboard and I slide it forward to brace it.
Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The front and center second row seat is specifically designed to do that, but I'm not sure about the outboard seats or where there might be guidance in the manual. I can't remember if the '04 has advanced front airbags with sensors in the front seats. My '05 has them, and has a warning against allowing child restraints to touch the front seatbacks. Here's a fuzzy photo of the manual page with the warning - it's in the airbag section on page 127 in my manual, the third bulleted item in the yellow box on the left side of the page, right before the section on child restraints:

siennamanualpage127.jpg

sirrahn

There is no such comment in the '04 manual except for when using a seatbelt install or booster in the outboard 2nd row seats.

The '04 does have a sensor of some sort for the front passenger seat, but I don't think it's the "advanced airbag sensor". It just turns the seatbelt warning light for that seat on if someone's sitting there and doesn't buckle up.

Dawn

I don't think she means the front seat. I think she means the second row seats. The Sienna has the adjustable/sliding middle captains chairs.

emandbri

Yes, I'm asking about the second row. I was wondering if the person read about the front seat and thought it applied to the middle seats as well. My 2004 has side curtain airbags and side airbags in the front but it doesn't loook like it has the sensors behind the front seat like the newer models do.

I feel okay bracing the seat now!

Thanks!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yes, I know she means second row. But the reason they may be saying to slide the seat back in the newer model and not in hers is because it does not have advanced airbags. They don't want anything pushing against the front seat with advanced airbags.

4xMommy

EEK! I never knew that about the front seat!! I think the front passenger seat is touching Aedhan's FPSVD! I have the '05 Sienna, I will definitely be moving the seat up when hubby gets back with the van!

magoose

We have a Sienna 04 and if i am correct it even advertised something to the extend you can bring that center seat forward to have your loved one closer. Remember that? I have the center seat in its regular position and then slid forward. I did not lift it out and put it in the utmost forward tracks. Does that make sense? But I think it would be ok to use. As they advertised it that way with pictures showing a child in a carseat with the seat installed in the special forward tracks on the center seat. My car has no side curtain bags. Anna

Yes, I'm asking about the second row. I was wondering if the person read about the front seat and thought it applied to the middle seats as well. My 2004 has side curtain airbags and side airbags in the front but it doesn't loook like it has the sensors behind the front seat like the newer models do.

I feel okay bracing the seat now!

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC