Question Which CR and vehicle manufacturers/models prohibit locking the seat belt with boosters?

PikkuMyy

I am aware that locking the seat belt is no longer recommended. This came up in my CPST class today and now I'm wondering which CR and vehicle manufacturers/models explicitly state that the seat belt should not be locked with a booster?

I know Recaro is one. I just looked up the ProBooster manual. Any others?

ADS

mamakc

Why is it not recommended? The harmony dream time manual advises TO lock the belt if the vehicle allows it.

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

PikkuMyy

Why is it not recommended? The harmony dream time manual advises TO lock the belt if the vehicle allows it.

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

This is good to know also! I'm going to look up the manual and include this in my list as a booster that advises to lock the seat belt.

I don't have a clear answer as to WHY it's not recommended but I can see how a seat belt could tighten too much and become uncomfortable. Also, seat belts already have pre-tensioners and from what I've understood, one of the concerns is how the seat belt will perform in a crash if it's already locked. Car seats are locked in place because they're securing the child but a booster positions the seat belt correctly and the seat belt is what holds the child in place in a crash.

creideamh

Here is what our state highway patrol sent all of us techs (sorry about the format, that's how it was forwarded):

> At University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, we
> researched the practice of switching seat belts to the locking mode when
> used with boosters as part of the development of an updated version of
> the UMTRI document on best practices in child passenger safety (coming
> soon.) When speaking with several vehicle manufacturers, most were
> against the practice of locking seatbelt with boosters because seatbelts
> are designed to allow the torso to rotate past vertical in a frontal
> crash, which acts to prevent submarining below the lap part of the belt
> when there's no crotch strap. When we have tested boosters with the 6YO
> and 10YO dummies, they definitely generate sufficient belt loads to
> activate the locking mechanism in a severe crash. I suspect that some
> of the reports of nonlocking belts may be from a combination of low
> occupant mass and low crash severity.
> The suggestion to lock the seatbelt with boosters to deal with wiggly
> out-of-position kids arose years ago when there weren't higher weight
> harness products available. These would be the best choice if a child
> can't sit properly in a booster seat. Since one of the key curriculum
> directives is to follow the manufacturers' directions, if the
> manufacturers don't tell you to lock the seatbelt with a booster, CPST's
> shouldn't be suggesting it as an option for parents.
>
> Kathy Klinich
> University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute

I believe all Toyotas prohibit it. My 2006 Prius does.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Pre-tensioners are rarely a feature found in rear seating positions. The current curriculum does not address this particular issue at all. And I am not personally aware of any documented downside to locking a switchable retractor on a child in a BPB (other than a few CR or vehicle manuals which simply state not to do this).

In fact, the only real technical info I have on the subject is from the instructor manual of the previous CPS Tech curriculum which states that this is (was) an acceptable practice at the time. Switching the retractor to ALR was listed as a "fix" for BPBs with shoulder belt slack issues (when the belt couldn't retract properly because it was caught in the guide) and also recommended to help "wiggly" children stay in place.

According to the instructor notes in the 2004 curriculum manual:

The issue was addressed by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Children's Restraint Task Force and it was "generally agreed that... the use of an ALR/ELR in the ALR mode was favored by installation experts (and many parents) because it kept the child in position against the seat back. That practice did not draw any objections from the others."

"The theory is that the latch plate still allows the belt to slip from the lap to the shoulder belt as the upper torso loads the latter. Locking the retractor (at the top) merely acts like the ELR kicking in early - which is fine."

Keep in mind that this is old info and perhaps there is some new info on the subject that I am not aware of. But as far as I know, there is no general recommendation that says to not lock the seatbelt in ALR mode.

ETA: Cross-posted so I didn't see the previous reply from creideamh. Nice to see that there is some updated info on this subject.

PikkuMyy

Pre-tensioners are rarely a feature found in rear seating positions. The current curriculum does not address this particular issue at all. And I am not personally aware of any documented downside to locking a switchable retractor on a child in a BPB (other than a few CR or vehicle manuals which simply state not to do this).

In fact, the only real technical info I have on the subject is from the instructor manual of the previous CPS Tech curriculum which states that this is (was) an acceptable practice at the time. Switching the retractor to ALR was listed as a "fix" for BPBs with shoulder belt slack issues (when the belt couldn't retract properly because it was caught in the guide) and also recommended to help "wiggly" children stay in place.

According to the instructor notes in the 2004 curriculum manual:

The issue was addressed by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Children's Restraint Task Force and it was "generally agreed that... the use of an ALR/ELR in the ALR mode was favored by installation experts (and many parents) because it kept the child in position against the seat back. That practice did not draw any objections from the others."

"The theory is that the latch plate still allows the belt to slip from the lap to the shoulder belt as the upper torso loads the latter. Locking the retractor (at the top) merely acts like the ELR kicking in early - which is fine."

Keep in mind that this is old info and perhaps there is some new info on the subject that I am not aware of. But as far as I know, there is no general recommendation that says to not lock the seatbelt in ALR mode.

ETA: Cross-posted so I didn't see the previous reply from creideamh. Nice to see that there is some updated info on this subject.

I had to look up pretensioners to better understand how they work. It makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

I had read some previous threads prior to posting mine and it seems like some instructors recommend locking the seat belt and others say not to recommend it to parents. I guess there's no clear answer on this matter, yet. I'm curious to see the research that was done by University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute when it comes out.

I'll just make sure to check for this in vehicle manuals and I'll keep a list of those vehicles for myself.

jjordan

Here is the quote from my Kia manual:

The rear (or front passenger) safety belts use a special auto-lock feature designed to allow a child restraint to be used in these positions without an added locking clip. They normally lock only under extreme or emergency conditions (emergency lock mode). However they can be adjusted so that they remain fixed and locked when a child restraint system is placed in these positions. (Use this auto-lock mode only to secure a child restraint, never for passengers restrained by the safety belts.)

So, it doesn't specifically address booster riders (and I didn't see anything in the child restraint section about it, even though boosters were mentioned a time or two). But it does say that "passengers restrained by safety belts" shouldn't lock the seat belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC