Booster with weight limit OVER 100lbs (besides Clek)

Kat_Momof3

Okay, Jeffrey still DEFINITELY needs a booster in dh's car... he's using his combi dakota (he's gotten too wide to use the harmony literider and buckle easily and he says it squishes him), but that one expires in a year AND he's 106lbs.

Now I will NOT move him out of a booster because of weight limit, but after I check the expiration date, I will know how fast I need to consider my options.

He needs plenty of hip room, so I was originally thinking I would get this when the time comes - Harmony Secure Comfort Deluxe , but as the weight limit is only 110, I can see him outgrowing it before he fits the seatbelt well enough (Damian did outboard at 5' tall and while Jeffrey is 4'11", his legs are shorter making him need a good 3" in leg before he will be able to bend his knees, and the lap belt fit is HORRID on him... his build is just different than his brother's at that size)

So before I start worrying about saving up for a new (or from swap) clek backless, help me out... are there any other backless boosters with higher weight limits.

AND (because the harmony one is SO nice and wide and well priced and his sister is anything BUT wide and will likely never use whatever I buy for him) would you get him one that might not be as comfy for him (he's tested the harmony one and, much like the dakota, declares it more comfortable than the olli we used to have because of the leg support and area under his bum) but has the higher weight limit, or ignore the possibilty of having to use it over the weight limit because it is a backless booster and get the one that he wants.

Also, should I be rushing to get him a new one asap, or am I right in thinking that he can continue using the combi dakota until it expires?

Lastly... he LOVES the dakota, more than any other backless booster EVER... it's discontinued... please remind me of all the reasons that it expires just like any other seat!

ADS

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Is the Secure Comfort another name for the Olympian (WHY Harmony, did you decide to go and change the names off all your boosters :mad:)? I would have no problem exceeding the weight limit of a backless booster. I attempted to with DBK in the Sante Fe, but it wasn't wide enough (I haven't tried the Olympian yet, but I'm afraid it might make her too tall - DBK is over 5').

ETA after looking at your siggy: my DBK sounds about to be the same size as your DS (she's about 110# and was just cresting 5' a couple months ago). She just turned 8 a couple weeks ago.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Also, the Diono Sante Fe goes to 120 lbs.

Huh, I swore it was like 110. Regardless, she couldn't squeeze in there so it ended up not mattering. BUT, if I come across an Olympian, and she fits it, I (and mom) are down with going over.

ctbcleveland

Huh, I swore it was like 110. Regardless, she couldn't squeeze in there so it ended up not mattering. BUT, if I come across an Olympian, and she fits it, I (and mom) are down with going over.

I just double checked two places and they both said the Sante Fe goes to 120 (including Diono's side) - not that it helps your situation, but just in case someone else is reading along.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I just double checked two places and they both said the Sante Fe goes to 120 (including Diono's side) - not that it helps your situation, but just in case someone else is reading along.

No, you're totally right, I have the Monterey box staring at me every day and I still got it wrong :confused::rolleyes: lol .

Kat_Momof3

well, at least I was wrong about 2 things... his height (3mo and he spurted 1.5") and the booster's lifespan... it was made in 2009, not 2007... so as long as no one thinks I'm crazy to keep using it instead of paying money for a seat I don't otherwise need because of the weight limit (again, this is a backless booster, so all it does is prop them up... very different from a harnessed seat), I'm good to go.

In fact, he's now really close to 5-stepping (checked him while I checked the bottom of the seat for the date) I bet another 1" will have him fit... his feet were flat on the floor and so the legs aren't an issue, but the belt fit is still less than optimal.

christineka

Yay! I'd just keep using the seat above the weight limit. I didn't realize the dakota was made so recently. I wish it would come back for the wider butted children.

Kat_Momof3

me, too... it's narrower in the back and gets wider as it comes out, so it fits in my captains' chairs where they need boosters shaped like that... the only other one that is the same style of shape are the cheap cosco backless boosters... and I love that this one just feels more sturdy.

I really think Combi was silly to discontinue it... the high armrests, the cupholder that is soft and can be switched sides on... and the inexpensive price point... it's just a GREAT backless booster for big kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC