When is the Recaro Como shipping?

southpawboston

The WHIPS is a system that allows the front passenger seat backs to flex backward a couple of inches during rear end collisions. This cradles the head of the occupant and help prevent whiplash.

yes, but that is how MOST vehicle front seats are designed. if you watch NHTSA's rear end collision simulations, you will see that they flex back to help dissipate the force of the person against the seatback. volvo just happened to capitalize on the concept and trademarked the name to make it sound like something proprietary. that said, i wonder if RF tethering a seat against the front vehicle seat in ANY car makes the vehicle seat less safe in a rear-end collision?

secondly, the performance of a vehicle in protecting fron seat occupants in a rear-end collision is far less important than protecting against frontal, frontal offset, or side impact crashes, which are not only much more frequent, but also greater in intensity than rear end collisions. so it becomes a question of weighing the benefit of retaining the WHIPS functionality versus the added safety benefit of having your little one RF tethered.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
yes, but that is how MOST vehicle front seats are designed. if you watch NHTSA's rear end collision simulations, you will see that they flex back to help dissipate the force of the person against the seatback. volvo just happened to capitalize on the concept and trademarked the name to make it sound like something proprietary. that said, i wonder if RF tethering a seat against the front vehicle seat in ANY car makes the vehicle seat less safe in a rear-end collision?

secondly, the performance of a vehicle in protecting fron seat occupants in a rear-end collision is far less important than protecting against frontal, frontal offset, or side impact crashes, which are not only much more frequent, but also greater in intensity than rear end collisions. so it becomes a question of weighing the benefit of retaining the WHIPS functionality versus the added safety benefit of having your little one RF tethered.

Yes, most crashes do result in some movement of the front passenger seat in rear end collisions, the Difference in Volvo, is that there is actually a mechinism (sp?) in the seat that exaggerates the degree of movement, kind of like a shock absorber. The danger here is not so much that the car seat may interfere with the safety of the front seat passenger, but that the movement of the seat might injure the child behind it.
I too was very wary of this actually being just hype or speculation when I first heard about it. After several phone calls to Volvo Sweden, I was assured that Volvo had actually found that this DID happen when they tested the Volvo with a US Britax seat.

Kimberly

southpawboston

okay, but that still doesn't answer my question... since all vehicle seatbacks flex backwards (to varying degrees) in a rear end collision, how does this impact the safety of carseats that are RF tethered and/or braced against the front seat of ANY car in a rear-end collision? if all vehicle seatbacks flex backwards (even if not as much as in a volvo), then this could be an argument against RF tethering/bracing.

jeno

Senior Community Member
I was rearended on the interstate in June. I was cruising to a stop and likely hit at upwards of 40mph. DS was RF in a BLVD directly behind my seat, not touching my seat, but tethered to my seat track. The vehicle is a 2007 Acura MDX.

I'm unsure of any flexing that happened, but am happy to report that DS was uninjured. I happened to dismantle his old BLVD last night to destroy it for trash pickup and noticed that the entire SIP piece was cracked in many places. Not sure if that would have been from the impact of his head or possibly this flex movement that you are describing?

southpawboston

did you already destroy the seat? i thought britax has a program where they may take back a carseat after an accident (i suppose for research purposes) and give you a new one (i think it may be on a case-by-case type basis). had you tried contacting britax? they may have been able to determine what caused the SIP to crack.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
okay, but that still doesn't answer my question... since all vehicle seatbacks flex backwards (to varying degrees) in a rear end collision, how does this impact the safety of carseats that are RF tethered and/or braced against the front seat of ANY car in a rear-end collision? if all vehicle seatbacks flex backwards (even if not as much as in a volvo), then this could be an argument against RF tethering/bracing.

Ahh, very true, and a great argument for the need to test car seats in real cars, with other passengers like they do in Europe.

Kimberly

chicagodawn

I'd love an update too. My dd still has 2 inches of headroom in her infant seat, but seems to be growing fast (she had 3 inches when I did my preorder)

lovemyfamily

yes, but VERY few cars have RFTA's... some GMs, a couple fords, and some volvos are all that i know of.

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL and I have RF tether anchors. There are one at the base of the driver and passenger seats. They can't be for FF seats, since you can't be a carseat in those seating positions so they have to be for RF seats.

chickenman

does anyone know the depths of the roundabout and marathon to compare to the como 24 in?, i think that is the hardest part about it. i have a roundabout which when i measured i got about 18 in depth and it was an inch from the edge of the seat, so maybe i could fit 19 inches. If 80% of 24 has to be on the seat then 19.2 in, so it would probaly be legit, but i would be worried about how far it sticked out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC