When is the Recaro Como shipping?

ADS

chickenman

As of right now Recaro will not be supplying a D-ring.

I will be using my extra Britax D-ring for my new Recaro's. It is no different to me. :thumbsup:

All D-ring is to me is an extension of the Tether. Since Recaro allows rf'ing tether I have no problems using my Radian's or Britax's.

When I spoke to Recaro about it, she did not say I couldn't use it. :thumbsup:
how much do they really know about it have you asked britax since they supplied the d ring? i mean if it was me i would probaly do what your going to do and tether it rear facing, just wondering what the book says on it

chickenman

Umm, actually, you are not supposed to top tether any seat rfing in Volvos. The have a system called WHIPS in the front seats that is incompatible. The Swedish seats made use the exhisting hooks are different than the US ones.

Kimberly

really, so they do have exhisting hooks and your just not supposed to use the d ring? or are you supposed to not use one period? ive seen teh video on volvo about the whips it seems like it cradles the head and body nicely and helps eliminate rebound, volvos seem like very safe cars and the v50 sure looks nice

chickenman

I've heard that the top slots are 19 inches and yes, I believe it can be tethered rear facing. Can't wait to see one.

why do companies do this , i mean why is there suggested max height 59 inches then, its still .5" less then the safeguard ( the safeguard child states 19.5 with compressed seat, and in the store thats what i measure). and everytime i measure the regent i still get about 18.5 so i dont see how its 20. regardless its still a good price point to have sip

southpawboston

Umm, actually, you are not supposed to top tether any seat rfing in Volvos. The have a system called WHIPS in the front seats that is incompatible. The Swedish seats made use the exhisting hooks are different than the US ones.

Kimberly

hmm... that's interesting. does it say this specifically in the volvo manuals? IIRC, volvo's WHIPS is just their proprietary term for active head restraints, which are common in many cars now. so does that mean that you shouldn't RF tether a seat in ANY car that has active head restraints?

chickenman

if you watch the volvo video on whips under safety http://www.volvocars.us/models/v50/ it looks like teh seat stays in place after the person collides back, its more hten just the headrestm so if you had a car seat behind that seat, it seems like that seat could hit the car seat then, and cause damage, but im just speculating i have never been in a volvo so i dont really know

Chameleon

and everytime i measure the regent i still get about 18.5 so i dont see how its 20.

Clearly you have measuring issues:D Or are using something that is missing a few inches.

Regent Height when I measure

regentheight2.jpg

regentheight.jpg

Chameleon

I wasn't compressing it any more than my daughter's butt does. LOL I just can't fathom how you can get 18 inches.

chickenman

its an onyx with that i had to perform the recall on , by adding the longer latch belt changing the manual and adding the anti skid things on the bottom, but with a pull out measuring tape i get 18.5
maybe 19 its close

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
ok i have a question. since immi makes all of the webbing for every seat, then would a dring from britax and a dring from recaro be the same thing? i guess the only issue would be using it beyond 33 lbs, which is all the britax drings are guranteed to, right?

mommyto4

why do companies do this , i mean why is there suggested max height 59 inches then, its still .5" less then the safeguard ( the safeguard child states 19.5 with compressed seat, and in the store thats what i measure). and everytime i measure the regent i still get about 18.5 so i dont see how its 20. regardless its still a good price point to have sip

I really don't get were Recaro is coming up with the 59" max height. And, they say 60" on the Signo. I reaaly don't think this is possible since they only have 19" top slots. They do look like really great seats though and I would think that they would get the average kiddo to somewhere between 6 and 8 years old. The Regent gets most kids to between 8 and 10 years old with 20 inch top slots. I still think that the Recaros will be great even though they most likely will not take a kid to 5 feet tall.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
really, so they do have exhisting hooks and your just not supposed to use the d ring? or are you supposed to not use one period? ive seen teh video on volvo about the whips it seems like it cradles the head and body nicely and helps eliminate rebound, volvos seem like very safe cars and the v50 sure looks nice

The hooks are there to use for rfing tethers on Swedish seats. The placement of the tether for these seats is lower than US ones. See this http://www.volvocars.co.uk/campaigns/Misc/ChildSafety/newborn.htm
for a picture of the placement. (plus other really cool stuff) This placement does limit rebound, but not to the same extent that the top placement of US seats do.

The WHIPS is a system that allows the front passenger seat backs to flex backward a couple of inches during rear end collisions. This cradles the head of the occupant and help prevent whiplash.

The lower placement of the tethers on the Swedish seats don't hold the top of the car seat against the front seats the way the top tethers do here. As the vehicle seats flex back, the top of the Swedish seats move toward the back of the car considerably more than the US seats. With the US seats, there is potential for the vehicle seat to crush in the top of the cs as the WHIPS engage.

This being said, if the cs is installed in the center, and both front seats can not possibly flex back into the cs, I see no problem with tethering it.

WHIPS was a very hot topic on the CPS yahoo list serve about 5-6 years ago. I researched whether this system caused problems with car seats, eventually having to make several phone calls to Volvo Sweden to get this answer.

Kimberly

chickenman

The hooks are there to use for rfing tethers on Swedish seats. The placement of the tether for these seats is lower than US ones. See this http://www.volvocars.co.uk/campaigns/Misc/ChildSafety/newborn.htm
for a picture of the placement. (plus other really cool stuff) This placement does limit rebound, but not to the same extent that the top placement of US seats do.

The WHIPS is a system that allows the front passenger seat backs to flex backward a couple of inches during rear end collisions. This cradles the head of the occupant and help prevent whiplash.

The lower placement of the tethers on the Swedish seats don't hold the top of the car seat against the front seats the way the top tethers do here. As the vehicle seats flex back, the top of the Swedish seats move toward the back of the car considerably more than the US seats. With the US seats, there is potential for the vehicle seat to crush in the top of the cs as the WHIPS engage.

This being said, if the cs is installed in the center, and both front seats can not possibly flex back into the cs, I see no problem with tethering it.

WHIPS was a very hot topic on the CPS yahoo list serve about 5-6 years ago. I researched whether this system caused problems with car seats, eventually having to make several phone calls to Volvo Sweden to get this answer.

Kimberly
thank you very much kimberly, they say you learn something new everyday i feel like i learn something new every minute on hear, so i would assume then if you had two kids the volvo would not be and idea car until they were at least forward facing at three years and can not conflict with the whips system, i will look at that site in detail

safeinthecar

if you watch the volvo video on whips under safety http://www.volvocars.us/models/v50/ it looks like teh seat stays in place after the person collides back, its more hten just the headrestm so if you had a car seat behind that seat, it seems like that seat could hit the car seat then, and cause damage, but im just speculating i have never been in a volvo so i dont really know

This is the text from the WHIPS explaination on that web-site

Rear-end collisions often produce serious neck injuries, otherwise known as whiplash injuries. The injuries are caused by the catapult effect – when the passenger or driver is thrown forward after the first impact. If the car is struck from behind, the system is activated in two phases. During the first phase, the wire frame and the limited-travel springs help prevent the occupant of the seat from being pressed too deeply into the backrest. It also provides support for the spine. At the same time, the WHIPS mechanism enables the whole of the backrest to move backwards – to prevent the passenger from being thrown forwards. The upper part of the backrest enables the head restraint to better support the neck and head. In the second phase, the WHIPS mechanism allows the backrest to tip backwards, absorb the force generated by the collision, and reduce the catapult effect. WHIPS is designed to provide protection at speeds of up to approximately 20 mph (30 km/h), precisely the low speeds at which most whiplash injuries occur.

The bolding is mine.

Kimberly

safeinthecar

thank you very much kimberly, they say you learn something new everyday i feel like i learn something new every minute on hear, so i would assume then if you had two kids the volvo would not be and idea car until they were at least forward facing at three years and can not conflict with the whips system, i will look at that site in detail

Well Volvo is still a very safe car, and cs are safe rfing without tethers, so I wouldn't sell a Volvo just to be able to rfing tether.As a matter of fact, my youngest was not tethered rfing from 2 until 3.5 because I replaced the crashed RA with a Safety 1st Intera so she would be able to stay rfing longer.

Or.....we could just get us some Swedish car seats to go with the Swedish cars, LOL

Kimberly

chickenman

Well Volvo is still a very safe car, and cs are safe rfing without tethers, so I wouldn't sell a Volvo just to be able to rfing tether.As a matter of fact, my youngest was not tethered rfing from 2 until 3.5 because I replaced the crashed RA with a Safety 1st Intera so she would be able to stay rfing longer.

Or.....we could just get us some Swedish car seats to go with the Swedish cars, LOL

Kimberly
if it wasnt completely illegal to do so i would, i love the isofix and rigid attachments plus the antirebound bar, everything is just so beautiful, us americans really do have some things to learn

mommyto4

if it wasnt completely illegal to do so i would, i love the isofix and rigid attachments plus the antirebound bar, everything is just so beautiful, us americans really do have some things to learn

Yes, we do have alot to learn, but we have come a long way.:D

chickenman

Yes, we do have alot to learn, but we have come a long way.:D
yes we have bout i think our countrie will always have differences where they think its ok for children to be in boosters at age 4 or so, and some people would like them in a regent or something until they are 8 or 9 or maybe just fit that way as well

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC