car seats DO work, and kill if you don't use them

ADS

Ninetales

How the hell did they all fit? I drive a Cavalier and two adults and one child is tight enough. Ridiculous.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
She needs to be charged. She took a child who wasn't hers, unrestrained, without the knowledge or permission of the child's parent on a car ride in a vehicle which couldn't accommodate everyone, ran out of gas, and didn't bother turning on her hazard lights. One horrible choice after another.

I have found out after the fact that someone I knew had transported my children in a seat belt shared with another child and I was livid and would not let her transport my kids any longer. Had there been an accident I would have pressed charges if my child were injured or killed. And if one of her kids had been killed as well I would have figured it was no more than she deserved for being so careless. Of course I feel horrible for the children. They do not deserve this. But the mother... I have a hard time having any sympathy. I hope she sits in jail for a long time.

Syllieann

That woman made so many potentially fatal screw ups I can't imagine how they won't charge her. Screw up #1: too many passengers #2 not buckled #3 no flashing lights #4 improperly maintained vehicle #5 didn't pull off road onto shoulder

Maybe she couldn't pull off the road at that place but she should have been able to coast a bit even after running out of gas and who the heck piles a bunch of toddlers into a car to go to the park at 9pm?

Kat_Momof3

she should not have been driving that many people in one car... period... and if she HAD to for an emergency, then kids in the back sit on the floor with as many people restrained as possible... and what's with not turning the hazard lights on?

it's just a tragedy for the 2 kids who died and the one on life support... and proves proper carseat use does save lives... can't if you don't use them.

eddis

What a dreadful, and avoidable tragedy. So many bad choices. A 17-month-old, not strapped in properly? I just don't even know. And there were two other adults in that car. So sad.

mamakc

Seven people, three adults four children, in what looks to be a coupe? I'm guessing the baby was in the middle in the back, two adults in front, one adult in back with two kids sharing a seat and one kid on someone's lap. The whole thing is just stupid stupid stupid. Why do people make these horrible decisions??? Why couldn't the idiot adults die instead of the innocent kids? Awful story. :(

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Joyofbirth

This is local to me. It was on our news last night. I posted about it in SCM, but didn't think about here. It's just so, so sad. And this is pretty typical for this area. I see it everyday. Unfortunately, there will probably not be any charges. There usually aren't. The laws are pretty sucky around here. My heart aches for those mothers who lost their children by trusting the wrong person, who is a family member.

And really, no matter how stupid people are, I really don't think anyone deserves the horror of losing a child. That's a horror beyond anything.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
And really, no matter how stupid people are, I really don't think anyone deserves the horror of losing a child. That's a horror beyond anything.

Part of me agrees with you, but she killed someone else's child also. That makes it really hard for me to say she doesn't deserve it. It's justice. Not that I actually would wish that pain on her... in an ideal world I'd prefer to see her sit in jail for a while to think about it without having to go through the horror of losing a child... but still. She killed another family's child and she deserves to know that pain herself as well.

In fact, I place equal responsibility on every adult in that car. Any one of them could have spoken up and said "this is a bad idea."

Phineasmama

It sounds like "going to the park" actually means... "going to get drugs" :rolleyes::mad: Nobody goes to the park that late unless they're up to no good.

Syllieann

It sounds like "going to the park" actually means... "going to get drugs" :rolleyes::mad: Nobody goes to the park that late unless they're up to no good.

That's what I was thinking too. Between where/time and the fact that addiction is one of the only things that can fuel such at-any-cost kind of mentality. I didn't see anything on a test yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC