Radian+RFing foot+Xterra+long stalk+five year old

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Equals a fabulous install!!! I never would have guessed. Unbelievable. It seemed like the worst possible combination. But here it is!

1023986229_412f0cbcec.jpg

1024859990_e769923bd7.jpg

1024852300_d9b706a699.jpg

You can see the buckle going right into the path.

1024867622_0e2dca8d7e.jpg

1024014007_9d259af3d8.jpg

Peeking into the beltpath. My locking latchplate doesn't have a piece of plastic over it, so it looks a lot smaller than it is.

1024878298_9a8c91971e.jpg

And......

1024886238_c9321f8bf6.jpg

Five years and seven days old, RFing in her Radian. My mom, brother, Nathan, Piper, and I were going to a baseball game together, and FFing there wouldn't be enough shoulder room in the back. So I turned her RFing. She's so close to the weight limit I won't be leaving her, but it was ok for one night (and then today, I didn't have time to turn her back).

While I'm on this topic, does anyone know what slots can be used RFing? I thought it was the three angled slots. The manual says nothing about RFing, just that FFing you can use the top three. I don't think the seat was designed for long torsoed five year olds to RF in. :) Right now I have Piper in the top angled slot, and they are well below her shoulders. The chest clip keeps them where they should be, I'm not worried about them, but they are LOW.

Wendy

ADS

cdncasper

That is so awesome that she fits at 5 yrs old. I so wish the Canadian Radian (hey that rhymes) went to 33lbs RF.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I currently have my Radian rfing in the center of an Xterra too. Next to a Husky no less. Only mine is set up for a 3 month old I was watching the other day. I have to turn it back ffing in the morning for DD though, *sniff*, it was so nice to have a rfing seat in the car again. You're so lucky, MY 5 yr old is 55 lbs.

Kimberly

Leila

Oh wow!!!! I wish I could get my guy RF...sort of not possible when they weigh nearly 60lbs!!! And he's four months younger than Piper!

CRS

Senior Community Member
Awesome!!

I just have a question about this photo though:
1024867622_0e2dca8d7e.jpg

I didn't think you were allowed to do that? As it places tension on the buckle and it might come undone in a crash? I thought only the webbing was allowed to thread through the belt path? :scratcheshead: I mean I'm not second guessing your installation. Lord knows you know more/have more experience then me it's just something I've wondered for awhile now as it's what I've been taught on the course here at home..

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Since the belt path on the Radian is enclosed, it is fine. If it was a seat where the child would then be sitting on the buckle (possibly putting pressure on the release button, then there would be a problem.

It's weird though, I have my Radian installed in the same position in the same car and the buckle isn't in the belt path at all. I do have 2.5 twists in it though since I didn't bother to untwist when I switched it from ffing to rfing.

Kimberly

CRS

Senior Community Member
safeinthecar@mac.com;196156" said:
Since the belt path on the Radian is enclosed, it is fine. If it was a seat where the child would then be sitting on the buckle (possibly putting pressure on the release button, then there would be a problem.

It's weird though, I have my Radian installed in the same position in the same car and the buckle isn't in the belt path at all. I do have 2.5 twists in it though since I didn't bother to untwist when I switched it from ffing to rfing.

Kimberly

So that's really not an issue? I'm just confused between what we get told here and what you guys get told there, makes things so confusing for me :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
So that's really not an issue?
Right -- the main thing is that you don't want the locking lap only belt plate at a perpendicular angle & you don't want the release buton pushed.... Since neither of those are happening in this particular instance then it's a good safe install :) If twisting the buckle stalk would bring the buckle plate to a perpendicular angle, but otherwise the release button could be pressed, then you could flip the long part of the seatbelt to cover the release button & help keep the plate locked -- last resort, though: ideally, just try another seating position ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So that's really not an issue? I'm just confused between what we get told here and what you guys get told there, makes things so confusing for me :(

Right. Not an issue. It's on the webbing beyond the buckle. And as the others have mentioned there's no worry about the release button being sat on.

stalknaturally.jpg

This one would be a concern. See how the buckle is at an angle and all the pressure is going to be on the buckle rather than the webbing before or after it? That's bad. But with my insane stalk and the Radian either RFing or FFing the entire buckle is flat in the beltpath.

Wendy

CRS

Senior Community Member
This one would be a concern. See how the buckle is at an angle and all the pressure is going to be on the buckle rather than the webbing before or after it? That's bad. But with my insane stalk and the Radian either RFing or FFing the entire buckle is flat in the beltpath.

Wendy

Ahhhhh thank you for clearing that up! :love: :) is it ok with you if I use that picture? Thank youuuuu! (p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread lol)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ahhhhh thank you for clearing that up! :love: :) is it ok with you if I use that picture? Thank youuuuu! (p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread lol)

Go ahead. It's a 2001 Nissan Xterra's center lap belt only with a locking latchplate.

Wendy

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok i did this a few weeks ago with my radain trying it out in a bunch of differant possitions in my car, ect... and i almost got my hand stuck trying unbuckle and i'm pretty small mama and small hands but i had to use a pensil to shove in the unlatch the dumb buckle. LOL

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehe I must have pretty tiny hands then. It's tight, but I just shove it in there and unbuckle.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC