Question Should I insist on boosters for carpool kids?

eddis

Hello! Popping in after a hiatus... :) We just started carpooling with a new family, so now we have three kids going to and from gym class. In our car, DD (turns 8 in 3 months; 55 lbs. and 50 inches) has a Britax Frontier, and we have used a Bubble Bum for the second carpool child (sitting in the middle).
- Family2 has a spare Britax Parkway (with headrest installed) that DD rides in;
- In Family3's car, DD uses our Bubble Bum, sitting in the middle - BUT the other two girls are not in any kind of booster. They are all roughly about the same weight and height, within an inch or two and maybe five pounds of each other. DD does not meet the 5-step test, last time I checked.

When it's our turn to ferry the girls, in two weeks - should I ask the other girls to sit in a booster? Last time we drove (when we were sharing with only one girl/family), I suggested Girl 2 sit in the Frontier on the way back, thinking it would be more comfortable, but she said it "hurt her shoulders" (it did not touch her shoulders, and I would've been able to adjust it upwards anyway). She was okay with sitting on the Bubble Bum.

I think we'd have to buy another booster if I were to ask Girl 3 to sit on a booster. (I seriously doubt she'd agree to sit in our Parkway, and I don't want to move the Parkway in and out of our other car, anyhow. :)) DH thinks that if their parents don't care about boostering, I shouldn't spend on it myself. I'm not so concerned about the cost, I just wonder whether to insist on it.

Just wondering what other folks' experiences have been. Of course I'd like to make sure all my passengers are as safe as they can be - but I also realize that other parents might interpret my safety consciousness as negative commentary on their parenting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
ADS

lourdes

It doesn't matter if the parents care about boosters, the reality is that if you have an accident with them in the car you are the one responsible for them, to the law, to the parents and to your self. When I transport other people kids they have to go by my car rules, not their parents, if I am driving and is my car I make the rules, I am the responsible adult, they both have to be in boosters, even if they don't like it, that's just my opinion and what I would do.

Baylor

I agree boosters for everyone. Some of the harmony ones have cute covers too.

auto correct hates me

beetlemama

Your car your rules, so boosters are a must for anyone who doesn't fit the seatbelt correctly. Once we hit carpool age I plan to have a few extra backless boosters to keep in the car just in case we end up driving someone who doesn't have one. IMO it's no more a judgement on another parent's rules than asking the kid to buckle up (which not all parents did when I was growing up).

eddis

Thank you, you all are awesome!! I feel better now about getting another booster. (I suppose the kids might complain, but I'm okay if they choose not to carpool based on my booster rule). Going to do some shopping now... ;)

PikkuMyy

I also make the 8 year old I carpool sit in a booster. Without it, the lap belt rides into her abdomen, she slouches and the shoulder belt cuts into her neck. I had the same concerns as you do but it came down to safety. She uses a harmony literider in my car and nothing in her parents' cars.

eddis

It will be interesting to see how the other girls fit in my car. I know one of them is a couple inches taller than DD. Wonder what they will say when I show them to their booster seats? :)

Phineasmama

Just get some cool ones with pink zebra or something, they'll probably be excited! And tell them it makes them higher up so they can see out the window better :)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
My dd is a few months shy of 9, 52.5 inches and closing in on 70 lbs. She does not pass the 5 step and sits in a booster. I have 2 spare harmony's in my car for her friends when they ride with us. Pretty much none of them ride in boosters in their cars but they know, and their parents know, that if they want me taking their child anywhere, they have to ride safely. She does have a friend or two that may be getting close to not needing a booster but most are smaller than her and definitely need them.

PikkuMyy

Just get some cool ones with pink zebra or something, they'll probably be excited! And tell them it makes them higher up so they can see out the window better :)

That (pink zebra) is exactly what I bought for my carpooler. ;) I'm quite certain that she's still not thrilled but she tolerates it without any complaining. lol

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I drive 10yos, so many of them have been out of boosters for ~4 years. (Ack!)

In general, though, if I don't make a big deal out of it they don't either. I'm pretty sure the kid gossip goes something like "Mrs. H makes us ride in boosters, she's weird that way, but she sometimes makes cookies so it's cool."

eddis

Ha! I will look for the pink zebra - and implement the cookie thing, too! :D (note to self, check for allergies... :))

So Harmony boosters seem to work well for a wide range of, well, tushies? :) Just want to make sure I have something even for bigger kids...

PikkuMyy

Ha! I will look for the pink zebra - and implement the cookie thing, too! :D (note to self, check for allergies... :))

So Harmony boosters seem to work well for a wide range of, well, tushies? :) Just want to make sure I have something even for bigger kids...

Harmony Literiders generally give great belt fit, fit into tighter spaces and they're inexpensive. I had originally bought a Harmony Cruz from Target but it's too wide for my 3-across (booster/nautilus/seatbelt) situation. It looks like it would give bigger kids more space and leg support if space is not an issue.

eddis

Hmm, I should go to the store then and try the seats out (was thinking I could get away with ordering online, but it's not a particularly wide set-up - would be Parkway+Bubble Bum+ [whatever I end up buying]). Thank you for the inside scoop! :)

tam_shops

I'd also use boosters, though if one of the girls is taller and at least 9yo, I'd at least use the opportunity to *teach* all of them what 5 step looks/feels like and use the tallest to check if she passes or not. You never know what lesson(s) they may actually take away from it for themselves or their own children...

tam

littleangelfire

I'm with all other PPs, in my car they ride the safest i can make them. We carpooled to a family vacation last month, I had my 7 yo and an extra 7 yo and extra 10 yo, both extras very tiny tiny little girls, lighter and shorter than my son. They had to sit in something. I had Radian (without harness), RSTV, and TB. One girl was so irritated with sitting in one that she switched to her parents' vehicle on the way back part of the way becuase she didn't have to sit in anything in there. I just know if something happened I want to be above reproach in that one regard, if nothing else. I can not imagine how i would feel if something happened because I knew better but didn't do it.

And i was thought to be rather a pain in the butt on that trip for being so insistent on those seats, especially because i drive a small car, so the RSTV and RAdian were required.

I'm pretty sure the kid gossip goes something like "Mrs. H makes us ride in boosters, she's weird that way, but she sometimes makes cookies so it's cool."

:ROTFLMAO:

eddis

I'd at least use the opportunity to *teach* all of them what 5 step looks/feels like and use the tallest to check if she passes or not.

Yes - I was thinking that if anyone balks, I can walk them through the steps, so they can see it's not "my" arbitrary rule but just objective safety practice.

I just know if something happened I want to be above reproach in that one regard, if nothing else.

Thanks to you and all the PP for sharing your experiences. Totally agree that I want all my passengers to be as safe as I can make them!

eddis

an extra 7 yo and extra 10 yo, both extras very tiny tiny little girls, lighter and shorter than my son. They had to sit in something. I had Radian (without harness), RSTV, and TB

Oh, I meant to ask - so did you have either of the carpool kids sit in a highback? I'm debating whether to get a highback for our extra seat - pricier but it would probably forestall DD complaining about how her friends get to ride in backless boosters even in our car, whereas she has to sit in a "baby" seat. (She hasn't protested much yet but I'd like to avoid that, and keep her harnessed as long as possible!! :))

Kat_Momof3

I'd buy inexpensive harmony or cosco backless boosters and anyone who doesn't fit the seatbelt should ride in one (provided they have head support from the vehicle seat)

If a parent complains, then tell them they will need to sign a release of liability in the case of a car crash, should they suffer injuries or death from the bad seatbelt fit.

as for if kids complain, others covered that.

And if your child speculates why, explain that they aren't your child, so you don't have the money to spend on highbacks for friends, but you spend more because she is your own child and you want her as safe as you can provide.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC