Infant Rear-facing Car Seat?

eroyer

I'm new to the thread but could use some advice as a first time parent! We're due at the end of this summer and I have some close friends all arguing over who's carseat is the best!

We have two larger vehicles so fit isn't a concern. We're most concerned with (1) safety and (2) the easiest as far as weight and user-friendliness?

We're looking closer at four of the rear facing infant seats:
  • Chicco KeyFit Car Seat
  • Peg Perego - Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30 Car Seat (2012)
  • Graco Snug Ride 35 Car Seat
  • Britax - B-Safe Infant Car Seat

Any advice on what is a better car seat or anyone have one of these and love it?

Thanks!!:)

ADS

cmcki737

I have had the Peg and the 35 and I love the 35 bc of the easy of use and cute patterns but I like the Peg headwigs and the strap pads on the Peg are more plush.

Emi's Mommy

I had a keyfit and loved it. Super easy to install and very easy to use. Very straightforward harness and was nice and comfy for baby. I also found it more light weight than the peg and snugride seats. It is more expensive than a snugride though.

PeachyPie

We have a Graco SafeSeat (which is now the Snugride 32/35) and we love it!! I've heard really good things about the Peg as well. I know it's hard to tell how big your child will be, but I'm thankful that I bought a bucket seat with a higher weight/height limit (30 lbs and 30" in the one we have) because I have huge babies, haha. They would have both been out of a 22 lb limit seat at 6 months (my son before 6 months!). I like to keep them in the bucket as long as possible because even though they're heavy, you can't beat the convenience of being able to transport them in the seat!!

tam_shops

I had one similar to the Snugride 35. It was my favourite b/c it was the only one that let the babe use it past 22#, which made a difference of 6 months use for my guys. Both my boys were ~22# at a year old. Both used the bigger Graco seat until 18mth when they got too squished (not at the weight/height limit just getting too wide). Even if you don't play on carrying the baby around once s/he gets that heavy, it's nice to have the option in the off chance you/baby are having a bad day and falls asleep in the car, so you can then carry babe into the house/store and let him/her continue napping...

I also found the longer lasting baby bucket an even greater asset once I had more than one child b/c we'd go in/out of pre-school and/or community centre and it was suddenly twice the work car seat and stroller wise! LOL

tam

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have no personal experience with the B-Safe.

I detest the Peg. It's so overpriced for what you get, it's heavy, and the install is...not fun.

The Snugride 35 is one of my favourites all round. The Keyfit is also a really nice seat. It's tall, but with the 22lb weight limit you'll get a lot less use out of it than the Snugride 35. It would be a rare child who would get to 35lbs in the Snugride, but the extra weight limit could take you several months further in it.

It's hard to know ahead of time how your baby will be - both my kids were on the top end of the height and weight charts and were out of 22lb seats by height and pretty close by weight around 5 months. My friend's 4 month old is just creeping up on 11lbs and is at the low end for height and weight - he'll be that kid who gets to age 2 in the Snugride, and very easily 12 months in a 22lb seat.

I think overall the Snugride 35 is a very safe bet. There is the odd incompatibility issue with the Keyfit (you can't use noodles to increase the recline any - so if the built-in recline isn't sufficient, you're SOL).

featherhead

When you are talking about weight, do you mean you want a light-weight seat? Cause I think of those four seats, the Keyfit and Snugride35 would probably be the lightest. I find the Keyfit very easy to use. It fit my dd2 and dd3 very well from birth. DD3 was only 6lbs 8oz and it worked very well with her.

eroyer

Thanks everyone! That's all great :). Exactly what I was looking for. I had a chance to look at a few of them tonight and I think the Chicco and the Graco are my favorites. I do like that the Graco has a higher weight limit... Not sure I can carry much more than 25 to 30lbs for a while anyway but the extra couple months would be nice if we can get away with it.

Thanks again all!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC