Question Torso height

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Torso height is a function of overall size. A 4yo small for her age with an average torso for her size will be smaller in the torso than a kid with average torso for her size who is very tall... What kind of range are you talking about?

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
Torso height is a function of overall size. A 4yo small for her age with an average torso for her size will be smaller in the torso than a kid with average torso for her size who is very tall... What kind of range are you talking about?

My DD is around 38 inches long, I measured her torso today (I have never done this before) and it is 13 inches, I know that she has long legs but I found this too small, I had her sit against the wall, and made a mark with a pen at her shoulder and it was 13 inches, did I did it right?

VoodooChile

My ds is 3 (just turned 3), but he is 38 3/4 inches (measured at doctor's office this morning), and the last time I measured his torso it was 13".
I always felt that both of my kids had longer torsos as babies and they evened out as they grew. I don't feel like he has a long torso at all now--I always feel like his pants get too short way before his shirts do.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Kids do grow legs as they hit 2 or 3 and again at 4 or 5. I'd say by 4, closer to 30% of body height is more average. 13/38 is 35%- that's still on the slightly long side even though it's less of her body length than when she was younger (when 31-34% or so is typical, under 2.)

Though as the PP noted, growth patterns can change, too. Not every long-torsoed baby ends up a long-torsoed child or adult!

That said, sounds like she is petite, so since her overall height is not that tall, her torso is smaller than an average-torsoed tall child.

Did you have her sit up straight and cross-legged?

momtotwogirls

I would say that average for HER size.
My youngest is about 39in tall with a 13.5-13.75 in torso and she jsut turned 3 about 3 weeks ago. My oldest is 5 45in tall with a 16.5in torso.

Oldest torso is much longer on average for her size than say my youngest. My oldest torso was close to 15 by 3.

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
Kids do grow legs as they hit 2 or 3 and again at 4 or 5. I'd say by 4, closer to 30% of body height is more average. 13/38 is 35%- that's still on the slightly long side even though it's less of her body length than when she was younger (when 31-34% or so is typical, under 2.)

Though as the PP noted, growth patterns can change, too. Not every long-torsoed baby ends up a long-torsoed child or adult!

That said, sounds like she is petite, so since her overall height is not that tall, her torso is smaller than an average-torsoed tall child.

Did you have her sit up straight and cross-legged?

She was sit up straight

beetlemama

Wow, now my girls sound ginormous! My 4.5 year old is 44" tall with a slightly over 18" torso, my 2y9m old is 38" tall with a just over 15" torso!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC