Important of SIP

chickenman

I notice a lot of people like th marathon versus the boulevard, and there are customers that dont see why anyone doesnt by the boulevard because it has the sde impact protection. My question is how important is side impact protection. In an accident does the head roll off it, and it slows down the internal collission? I know most people talk about margins or levels of safety. And for most people the marathon is more practical.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
We honestly don't know how important SIP is. Side impact crash tests aren't done on child restraints in the US, and no one keeps scientific data on SIP in real world crashes. In European crash tests, SIP seems to be quite beneficial, but there's no way to tell if the seats offering SIP in the US would perform comparably.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I personally consider side impact protection to be of great importance. So long as the seat is safe, it's good, but some people don't mind paying for extra safety features. How effective and beneficial are bicycle helmets? Very, I should think. Because although the design and shapes change every year, they are tried and true, so to speak. The same thing that is in bicycle helmets is the same stuff a lot of manufactures use for added side impact protection. I guess it might be a "gimmick" but I always encourage parents to get seats with more of that SIP wherever possible. But, I do try to stress that you can have all the SIP in the world, but that's probably not going to be any good if you've got an incorrectly installed car seat, things like that, are the most important things.... how easy is it to install.. use.. etc...
:twocents:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I love the Boulevard. :)

I think a lot of people like the Marathon more, though, because it is simpler and has slightly higher harness slots.

I love both the Marathon and the Boulevard. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
the harness slots are the same its just all the fabric and extra padding that changes the harness path

Right, which in effect makes the BV's top harness position slightly lower than the MA's top harness slots. It isn't a significant difference, but there is a difference.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I think a lot of people like the Marathon more because the Boulevard is THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! ;)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
LOL!

You want to see something funny? This is my backseat. How is this for a study in opposites? (Price-wise, I mean).

DSC_2398.jpg

chickenman

does the car seat on the left even have eps foam in it or is it just a plastic shell? but you have to be able to drive the car , so if thats what fits and works, thats what is most important. i dont feel the new diplomat from britax (roundabout w/ sip) will be that big of a hit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC