20 hour Road Trip and NBB

AtTheSouthDam

In ten days we leave for TX. It will be about 20 hours in the car and we plan on driving over night. DD2 is easy, she'll ride in her ProSport. DD1 however rides in a NBB; Evenflo Amp.
She's 56.5" now, 100# and has 21.25" torso height. I don't think there are any HBB that would fit her, or be comfortable. With the way the vehicle seats angle back her shoulder is slightly above the belt guide on the Monterey (I think, I gave it to a friend as she was very close when I gave it to them six months ago and she's had a huge growth spurt since then) and she certainly won't fit the TB or X-fit.

What can I do to keep her in position and comfortable during the trip? She hasn't slept in the car since she was 3y so I don't know what she'll do. The last road trip at 3y she was awake until 2 am so she may do little more than doze.

Vehicle is 2007 Freestar with two bench seats, no captains chairs. Her favorite position is the rear bench by the windows. I though of just giving her a few pillows between her and the window. She'd likely lean on them but that will at least leave the shoulder belt on her shoulder.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I though of just giving her a few pillows between her and the window. She'd likely lean on them but that will at least leave the shoulder belt on her shoulder.

That's probably what I do. Instruct her to buckle the seat belt first, and then assist her with tucking the pillows between herself and the wall of the car so you can be sure they're not pushing the seat belt out of place in any way.

One of those travel pillows might also help her doze and rest her eyes without falling out of position.

I don't suppose it's an option to install something like an 86-Y harness...

ctbcleveland

Not that you are looking for a new booster, but someone (hrice?) posted recently that her son (similar size) is very comfy in the Harmony Olympian. It is rated to 110 lbs. In the pics of her DS, it looks like it offers good leg support, which I think is pretty important for that long of a drive.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And maybe some foot support...a light stepstool or even a free priority mail box or a duffel bag with non-squishable stuff in it would do the trick, give her some leg-position options.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think your idea sounds fine. My dd ever so rarely falls asleep in her nbb, and it has never been an issue. She seems to subconsciously stay up-right in it.
My only other suggestion would be the boost air. I think it would be tall enough for her, and has those big side wings..

AtTheSouthDam

That's probably what I do. Instruct her to buckle the seat belt first, and then assist her with tucking the pillows between herself and the wall of the car so you can be sure they're not pushing the seat belt out of place in any way.

One of those travel pillows might also help her doze and rest her eyes without falling out of position.

I don't suppose it's an option to install something like an 86-Y harness...

I can't see spending $140 on something and having a new tether installed for one trip when she boosters beautifully and I'm not even sure it'll be a problem.

Not that you are looking for a new booster, but someone (hrice?) posted recently that her son (similar size) is very comfy in the Harmony Olympian. It is rated to 110 lbs. In the pics of her DS, it looks like it offers good leg support, which I think is pretty important for that long of a drive.

I might look into that. She loves the Amp but I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for 20 hours.

And maybe some foot support...a light stepstool or even a free priority mail box or a duffel bag with non-squishable stuff in it would do the trick, give her some leg-position options.

Her feet sit flat on the floor IN a booster. I think were good but I was planning on doing that for DD2.

I'm going to check her fit in the Monterey when I see my friend Friday and if she fits we'll take that. If not may be 'll check the booster air. We have head rest. I'm just not overly fond of the pillows on the window, though I suppose it will work.

kater-tot82

Maybe get one of those u-shaped neck pillows for her to use? As long as it doesn't interfere with the shoulder belt, I think it would be okay...I like one for when I travel and can potentially sleep.

mlohry

Those little neck pillows work great. We like the cheapy ones from the $ section at Target, they are like 2 or 3$. Works great for my DS who rides in an Amp and also rarely sleeps. Not sure what vehicle you have but if the child can ride in a captains chair you can slightly recline the seat too, I asked on here and was told that was ok.

mlohry

Oh and we did a 24 hour move in our van from MN to FL and only stayed 2 nights, so pretty much all waking hours were in our van and my DS had no complaints about the Amp. He had blankets piled up under his feet, so that probably helped.

AtTheSouthDam

At the shoulder belt guide is fine, right? As in her shoulder is right below the red part and nearly touching?

I just got around to checking today; Dh checked last Friday but couldn't figure out how to unlatch it from their car and so couldn't raise the whole way up. He came and said, "Yeah, it'll probably work if it goes up high enough" :eyeroll:

Anyway to remove smoke smell from a seat? She never smoked in the car, had quit by then, but the car still smelled and the seat smell slightly. Vinegar maybe?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC