Field trip??

Phineasmama

My DD is in 4-K this year and on Friday they are taking a field trip. I am 99% sure they are taking a bus, because there will be around 30 kids going and several teachers.

The thought of her riding on a school bus kind of terrifies me :eek: I am going to talk to her teacher when I pick her up in a little bit but should I just drive her to and from the location instead of letting her go with the other kids? She is still in a 5 pt harness.

ADS

keri1292

Quinn weighs almost 40lbs at almost 8yo. I let him ride the bus starting in Kindy even though he is still harnessed. Bus accidents are rare and our buses also have lap belts. That doesn't mean that I don't worry. :rolleyes:

Baylor

My son just got his permission slip to go to the Zoo. Im letting him go on his trip on the bus. I know it is hard to think about, but it is safe and it is an experience that they should be able to enjoy with their friends. Kind of an independent but still supervised thing.

My son and I talked about not goofing off and sitting in the seat right.

But I think kids need to feel normal when it is possible and enjoy things with their friends that are safe options.

Meg

My son still rides harnessed in the car, but he rode on the bus for the first time yesterday for a field trip. He was so excited! :D I wasn't worried at all. I'm sure someone will pop in with stats, but statistically she's safer riding on the bus than in your car.

Jan06twinmom

How big is your DD? Can you find out what the bus situation will be and if there are seatbelts on the bus? If there are seatbelts on the bus, would you be allowed to install your DD's car seat on the bus for the trip?

My DD is very petite and I probably would have driven her myself instead of putting her on a bus without a seatbelt in prek. She did ride on the bus in kindergarten when she was around 38lbs.

Melanie

Phineasmama

She is over 40 lbs and...maybe 42-43" tall? I guess a bus crash is less likely but whenever I DO hear about a bus crash it's always really bad :(

mommycat

Is she very petite? The amount of my worrying would be inversely proportional to her size (ie if she was very tiny and much less than 40lbs, I would worry more). If she is about 40lbs (or more) and average then I wouldn't worry about her and would tell her to have a great trip! Hopefully most of the other kids would meet those criteria as well. Bus safety features are designed with taller, typically 40+ kids in mind. Of course school buses are some of the safest vehicles on the road.

mommycat

cross-posted - with those stats I wouldn't bat an eye unless she had developmental delays. She will be safer, as a PP said, than she would be in your car. Hope she has a wonderful time. :)

keri1292

She is over 40 lbs and...maybe 42-43" tall? I guess a bus crash is less likely but whenever I DO hear about a bus crash it's always really bad :(

We only hear about the bad ones. All the fender benders where the big ole bus is just fine just don't make the news. :)

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
We only hear about the bad ones. All the fender benders where the big ole bus is just fine just don't make the news. :)

I was going to say the same thing!

My son is 3.5 and rode the bus yesterday for the first time for a field trip. Granted it is a preschool bus and all seats have a harness....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC