Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Britax Frontier 85 Booster Mode - No LATCH? Safe?

I just received my new Frontier 85 and intend to attempt a installation tomorrow - yes, I am intimidated! I intend to attempt to install using a lap belt - my child is over 40 lbs - with the harness. I am amazed at how heavy this seat is!!! I intend to use this seat for many years to come and expect to one day use it in booster mode (without the harness). My 4 year old has already complained - "Mom, this is a car seat - not a booster seat! It has the same straps!" Is it really ok to use without LATCH in booster mode? When I look at the video on the Britax site they only show installing in booster mode WITH LATCH (which would exceed my vehicles limit). Am I the only one concerned with the weight of the seat and that the seat belt would be holding my child AND the seat in a accident???? Is this really going to be my last seat????? Should I have kept her in her Boulevard a few more years then bought a less expensive lighter booster seat without the harness???

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax Frontier 85 Booster Mode - No LATCH? Safe?

Your Frontier can be installed with LATCH in booster mode regardless of your childs weight because the LATCH is not holding the weight of your child-the seatbelt is. You are correct that in harness mode you can't use LATCH past that weight.
    According to my F85 manual, LATCH is not required for booster mode (the manual is under your seat cover, but can also be accessed online). HOWEVER you cannot use any booster in a position that has only a lapbelt. You need both a lap/shoulder belt in booster mode. Does that make sense?
    Mom to
    R-6/4/06, 50lbs, chillin in a F85 in the Sedona, Recaro Vivo in the Ion
    E-7/1/2011, Currently 28lbs Momentum65 in the Sedona, Guide65 in the Ion