Question Baby 3 due this week, an expired seat and needing help!!

lovemybabes

I'm down to the wire here, been searching and realize I just need help to figure this out. THANK YOU!:)

Vehicle: Odyssey 2001 (primary) and corolla 2003

Need to keep two seats open (in 2nd and 3rd) for passengers in the Odyssey, so two seats in third row, one seat in second row. Would be pretty nice to eventually fit three across third, but I won't ask too much right now.

Currently own: Radian, and a Roundabout that expires in a few months.
Children:
- baby on the way,
- 40lb 6yr old, ff 1.5-2 inches under top strap in Radian,
- 40lb 4 yr old, ff 2+ inches under Radian, has outgrown Roundabout.

I'm not going to buy an infant seat since I need to buy 2 seats, would rather just use a rf seat to save $$. I'm thinking a Radian and Marathon in middle and outboard third row, and a second Marathon in second row... hoping they'll also fit in the corolla. Not a deal breaker though.

OR... getting a Marathon and a Nautilus or other strap-booster???

ADS

Kaitsmom

I would pass the Radians to the baby and get harnessed combo seats for the other kids, or you could put your 6 yr old in a hbb if you think shes ready.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks for asking your question here. :)

Just to clarify, the baby and the 4YO both need seats, right? I would suggest using the Radian for the 4YO, getting a combination seat (FF seat that has a harness that can be removed to convert it to a booster), and a convertible for the baby if you want to skip the infant seat.

(I'm afraid I don't have much advice on which particular seats, though, because I haven't worked with a 2001 Odyssey or a 2003 Corolla much. I do think you're going to want to stick with seats that are either narrow or puzzle very well.)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have an 03 Odyssey and I think that's the same interior as yours?

In the 3rd row I can do FF Marathon/RF Scenera/FF Radian. I think I can do the Scenera RF on either outboard side with the Radian FF in the middle as well, but I don't like where the front lip of the Scenera sits on the hard plastic on the very outer edge of the back of the seat.

So...that doesn't really answer your question, but gives you some ideas for what might work there.

lovemybabes

Yes, I need two seats - for whomever they make the most sense... my 6yr old does still fit the radian though. Helpful to know a three across combo - thank you Jen! Would the scenera fit better than a second marathon and last as long height wise? what will you do for the next carseat phase in your ody?

If I buy a combination seat for my 6yr old (and perhaps 4yr old), which seat has a smaller width/more likely to fit a smaller space?

Is a hbb a good idea for a petite 40lb 6yr old? Comfy?

Last edited:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would hand the radian down to the baby and get both older kids a combination seat.

My favorite combination seats:
Evenflo Maestro
Evenflo Securekid
Graco Nautilus
Graco Argos
Recaro Prosport
Britax Frontier

lovemybabes

I would hand the radian down to the baby and get both older kids a combination seat.

My favorite combination seats:
Evenflo Maestro
Evenflo Securekid
Graco Nautilus
Graco Argos
Recaro Prosport
Britax Frontier

Thank you!
which of these would be most likely to leave a space for a third person/booster if using two on the same bench?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The evenflo seats are narrower. The maestro only harnesses to 50#. The securekid harnesses to 65#.

You could also put your oldest in a booster.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The 3-across in my van isn't an every day thing - but I'm having my niece and nephew come for a visit so I've been experimenting.

The Scenera would not fit nearly as long as a Marathon - but it's so cheap, especially for you south of the border (it's $70 on sale up here) it might work in the meantime.

Someone above mentioned a Frontier as a harnessed seat. I could not get a 3-across to work in the 3rd row if I had a Frontier in the mix (but *might* have been able to with a 2nd Radian), so I'd avoid that one. We don't have all of the combo seats you have either, so I can't comment on which is narrower.

If it works better for you, a high back booster for your 6 year old is a very reasonable option - but only you know if s/he is mature enough for that - and again I can't suggest what brands because we don't have all the same ones. It's usually tough to buckle a boostered child though in a 3-across, so if the Radian still fits, that would just be easier.

Yes, I need two seats - for whomever they make the most sense... my 6yr old does still fit the radian though. Helpful to know a three across combo - thank you Jen! Would the scenera fit better than a second marathon and last as long height wise? what will you do for the next carseat phase in your ody?

If I buy a combination seat for my 6yr old (and perhaps 4yr old), which seat has a smaller width/more likely to fit a smaller space?

Is a hbb a good idea for a petite 40lb 6yr old? Comfy?

lovemybabes

Thank you for your further thoughts - I guess it would be helpful for you to know that I am actually a fellow "Northerner" with our smaller (and pricier) selection of car seats. Okay, so no Frontier for us.

Does that make any difference for you in terms of specific advice?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC