Question Sunshine kids Monterey

U

Unregistered

So we are looking at getting one of the boosters that is on sale right now, the sunshine kids Monterey. I called and asked if they were compliant and labeled to the new 2012 regulations and was assured they are and that I could pass on the seat when we were done with it. They said the only difference was the name, but the seat was exactly the same as the Diono Monterey. I read somewhere in this forum that no Sunshine kids seat is meeting the new 2012 regulations so now I'm a bit confused.

My question is: What would the expiration date of the booster would be. Is it 6 years like the old Sunshine kids, or has that changed since it is actually a Diono seat? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

dragonfly8

My understanding is that NO sunshine kids branded seats are actually 100 % (meaning labels, crash testing AND manuals) 2012 compliant.
I have a late 2010 SK Radian 65 that I was told meets the 2012 regulations, but the labels and the manual do not. Kind of a bummer.

I'm going to guess, off the top of my head, that you'd have to follow the "old" expiration guidelines, I'm also guessing it will say right on the seat do not use past XXX date. I don't think it's fair for Diono to be telling their consumers that the only thing that has changed is the name. The changes affect many many seats.....

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I was told a little bit ago that a running change was made in the Monterey in 2011 and some of the Sunshine Kids Monterey seats are compliant. I don't know the exact date, but I believe the ones for sale are compliant. It seems the info given previously about no SK seat being compliant was supposed to be limited to the Radians? I'm not sure.

U

Unregistered

I was told by Diono and Snugglebugz that the Monterey SKJP was 2012 compliant.

The one I ordered was a different colour and it was DOM April/May'ish 2011.

Don't forget that this booster MUST have a head rest behind it. Kind of makes sense, but I didn't realize that when I bought it and I have a spot in the back for it w/ out a head rest. I'm not impressed! LOL

tam

Do you know when yours expires? We have a six year old right now who is still harness and we want to be able to use this seat for our 1.5 year old when he is bigger as well. If it expires in six years it won't quite get us through.

tam_shops

Yes, it expires 6 years from DOM. So, 5 years from now. I was in the same boat w/ an almost 3yr and did the math and concluded any seat bought in the next year or so will expire before I'm done w/ it. Thus, b/c of the gap between my kids, I'll be buying two anyway, so figured I may as well catch the good sale.

When they're older they can use a LBB only, but for long trips, if they fit in a HBB (and sleep in the car) I'd put them in a HBB, just for the SIP to sleep on...

tam

U

Unregistered

So I ordered one! But when I got the shipping confirmation this is the sku: 2010Monterey-Colours-SUN-15052

I really hope that doesn't mean that it's a carseat from 2010? As far as I can understand those do not meet the current standards, not to mention it'd expire 2 years sooner.

tam_shops

Email and confirm.

The Snugglebugz site says it's a 2010 model, which from what I understand has the better seat belt guides, but they sent me and my friend a 2011 one when we ordered recently.

tam

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your help. I emailed to confirm and was told that they just hadn't changed the name of the sku, but it would definitely be a newer seat. He also said that it would last 8-9 years? Really interested to see the expiry date on it when it gets here. Maybe the newer ones don't expire in 6 years?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for your help. I emailed to confirm and was told that they just hadn't changed the name of the sku, but it would definitely be a newer seat. He also said that it would last 8-9 years? Really interested to see the expiry date on it when it gets here. Maybe the newer ones don't expire in 6 years?

I have a Diono Monterey and it is good for 6 years. Sounds like he was misinformed or thinking of the Radians instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC