Question Newbie! Where on earth do you/can you order a Britax Mutitech?

New to all this! I have fallen in love with the ERF capabilities of the MT. Child who will be using it is 2.8 yo, 37'', seated height of about 14'' and 30.5 lbs. I live in Newfoundland Canada, and was wondering if it is even possible to get it here (I am aware it isn't recommended and is technically illegal to use an imported seat, but I'd rather face silly charges then a dead or seriously injured child). He currently rides in a RF blvd 70, center position installed with seat belt in a 2009 Accord (can't do unstandard spacing in this car to what I've read). Other suggestions are welcome if you think the MT won't be able to get all the way over here! Looking to keep him RF to ATLEAST 4 if possible. Also, cost is a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:
ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Is there some reason you don't want a Radian? At his size, a Radian will very easily get him rear facing to 4 to 5 even (my 3.5 year old is the same size and he has probably 3 inches to go above his head in our Radian) at WAY less the price. And approved by Transport Canada.

featherhead

Not that it matters specifically to this OP, but Clek isn't in Canada yet are they?

Clek is Canadian :)

OP, your child doesn't sound huge to me, so I would probably use the Britax either till it is outgrown, or till the Foonf is out:D The Foonf and the Diono Radians are the longest lasting rear-facing carseats in Canada. If he outgrows all Canadian seats, and you think he should still be rear-facing, then would be the time to import an illegal seat.

thanks for the swift replies! I probably should have added, he isn't my little one! I don't have any children of my own yet, as I am still in university for Engineering. I care for him and his sister (who is almost outgrown her blvd 70 CS RF :( and she is SIX, but wears a 3x and has a very short torso) for about 20 hrs/week. I am trying my best to ensure their safety in both my car and theirs. I just rescued from their house last week both a shield booster (Cosco Explorer DOM 11/2000 ..need I say more) and a Century Next-Step which had a 2005 expiry, both of which where in use by these kids.. replaced with Radian65 FF for 2.8 yo (latched and teathered with safe-stop, I'm NOT a tech but it was rock solid!) and Turbobooster for 6yo as their parents refuse to put the 6yo back in a harness despite the fact that my left leg probably weighs more than she does. Also, I was planning to cut up the fabric on the outdated seats I 'swapped' them for and then throwing them out in a million pieces.. anyone have suggestions on how to trash these things so no other little ones are subjected to them? ( I'm thinking someone will snatch them from my garbage haha). I think I may go with a RXT as I like the headings to keep them in the proper position when sleeping and avoid neck pain, but the install is hands-down the most frustrating thing i've ever dealt with, which is why I was avoiding it. The Foonf looks amazing, I can't wait to meet it, I wish it was out already! The 6yo sister is very very small for her age ( still 1in shell above her head in blvd, not headwings I made sure :) so I think if her brother follows her growth patterns at all I will get him to 7-8 in the RXT.. I was thinking about ordering two of whichever seat i get for 2.8yo for the 6yo when she sprouts a bit because she hasn't grown for quite some time, but for now she is very comfortable in the blvd 70 CS, and where the seats are only installed 2-3x per week, the Britax installation is a God-send, which is why I was hoping to sneak two across the border.. hehe. I've reviewed the RXT install opinions on here and it seems that after some practice it will become a piece of cake? it would certainly be better to pick one of those up at BRU locally if you guys think it'll get easier/faster to install after a while rather than waiting on the Foonf, or breaking laws! Just to give you some idea of my past seats that I've owned and installed in the 08 accord:

First Years True Fit
Britax Marathon Classic
Britax Frontier
Britax Boulevard 70 & 70CS
Peg 30/30
Graco SS
Graco sungride22
Graco Nautilus
Evenflo Triumph Advanced
Alpha Omega Elite (not used as a booster, don't worry!)

Kaitsmom

Just an fyi, in Canada they will confiscate an illegal seat, not just write you a ticket. I would suggest a Radian (are they in Canada?) or a Foonf to use for ERFing.

bubbaray

I would FF him before I imported an illegal seat. If he has truly outgrown the (much better than in the past) selection of convertible seats available here I would go with a FR.

JMHO

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just an fyi, in Canada they will confiscate an illegal seat, not just write you a ticket. I would suggest a Radian (are they in Canada?) or a Foonf to use for ERFing.

Do you have personal experience with this? As far as I'm aware, this isn't legal.

-N.

bubbaray

CBSA would be able to seize a non Cdn spec'd seat. Provincial and city police would not

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would ask the parents how they would feel about their child being transported in an illegally imported seat.

And the installation of a Swedish seat is considerably more complicated than that of a Boulevard.

bubbaray

Not to mention that if you are in a crash using a non-Cdn seat (regardless of whether you are at fault or not), the children in those seats may not be covered by insurance.

bubbaray

And I would also be unhappy about someone pressuring me to reharness a 6 yo. I move my kids to boosters around age 5 and 40 lbs. That is my decision as a parent.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Not to mention that if you are in a crash using a non-Cdn seat (regardless of whether you are at fault or not), the children in those seats may not be covered by insurance.

Even in Canada, where I'm aware insurance works differently, that is highly unlikely. Insurance covers children who are improperly restrained, even unrestrained, all the time; improper restraint by way of an illegal seat (illegally imported, expired...) is unlikely to affect insurance coverage of the child's injuries. Now, they might not replace the SEAT, but the child should most definitely be covered.

That said, OP, I do always urge people to really evaluate if an imported seat is truly necessary for the safety of the child before deciding to break the law, and in this case the parents would definitely need to be involved in the decision, though for your own liability concerns if they agree you might want to get that consent in writing. Not that I think the children in question are of an age/size that I'd personally import were I in your situation, especially with the Foonf coming out. :)

bubbaray

Actually it is true, at least in BC. The use of nonCdn seats is technically a breach of the contract of insurance and the insurer is under no obligation to provide coverage in those circumstances. Whether or not an adjuster clues in is another issue altogether.

just called insurance company, they have, do and will cover children: unrestrained, improperly restrained, AND in illegal/imported seats.
I should have mentioned, the six year old is the size of a 3yo due to health issues.. and I did NOT pressure her parents in any way whatsoever to put her back in a harness. My course of action as a non-tech was to simply state what I knew to be true (harness is best for someone her size, I don't think I can explain how small she is without a pic!) , refer them to the local police dept. to hook up with a tech, and that if they so chose to put her back into a harness, id be happy to help them afford it, as their family is on welfare and through no fault of their own, has not had as great of a chance to supply their children with the proper car seats (shield booster was a garage sale purchase as that was all they could afford). I would not put any pressure on them, that's not right. THEY are the parents, not me. But they ask for my opinion more times than not and are more than willing to learn about ways to help keep their little ones safe. So no, OP, I was not pressuring them :) Simply asking which seat they would prefer for her. I laid out the facts and left the parental decision to them. it's not my place. But, they also did give me permission to transport them in a seat knowing it was illegal, they see no reason to be alarmed and as suggested by someone above I was going to draw up a document! you read my mind :) I think I may go with the RXT though, much less hassle and the kiddies are so tiny they'll get to a hundred and five years old RF :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC