Help me decide

tl01

Which seat would you choose for RFing only? I just got DS2 a marathon 65 classic. Part of me feels guilty it isn't the new version and isn't a blvd. He has plenty of leg room and a nice amount of torso room to grow. Should I give into the guilt and get a newer technology seat... And add SIP? Our car isn't a small car though he does sit outboard. I have always loved the rear facing install with LATCH of the classic marathon and I wasn't disappointed today. Here are two pics.

357dff42.jpg

b6ef125d.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The biggest benefit to the new technology is the SafeCell- for forward-facing. I think that he's fine without headwings, though if you want them, the new seats do have dual LATCH straps... But, well, remember how much less growing room he'd have.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
How old is he? I wouldn't switch to a 70 seat mainly just looking at his head room in the Classic - the Classic shells are SO much taller and less cramped in the legs... I'd stick with it.

VoodooChile

If it were me, I'd rather have a classic than a new generation, just b/c when we tried them out, ds looked so squished in them. If we'd had a 35 rf MA instead of a 33, he'd still be rocking Cow.

tl01

He's 23 months. I tried him in a 70... Though not in the car and he seemed to have a lot of space left. I agree though that the legroom is better in this one than our old blvd 70.

luckyclov

So, the SafeCell technology in the Next Gen convertibles only comes into action when the seat is FF. You're looking for RFing only. There's one in favor of the Classic.

The Classic has a taller shell than the Next Gen convertibles. You're looking for RFing only, so a taller shell is a good thing (although, the Classic does have a lower RF weight limit, which may, or may not, be a huge issue depending on weight/growth). There's two in favor in of the Classic.

Looks like he has a good leg room in the Classic. There's three.

Your vehicle is equipped with side airbags AND rear-facing by itself provides a substantial amount of side impact protection. There's four (five?) in favor of the Classic.

I'd go with the Classic.:p

Phineasmama

I've owned both, and I find the classic MA easier to get the kids in and out of. Now I know that's more convenience than safety features...but hey, he's RFing so he's pretty darn safe already!!

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I have a BV70 and an RA50, currently I have the RA50 rfing in my car and the BV70 is ffing in my husbands car, even though my son could still rf in it, he has less leg room and finds the crotch buckle uncomfortable in the BV70 when rfing. I'd go with the Classic (plus you could find different covers and feel like you had a new seat all the time!!!!0

tl01

So, the SafeCell technology in the Next Gen convertibles only comes into action when the seat is FF. You're looking for RFing only. There's one in favor of the Classic.

The Classic has a taller shell than the Next Gen convertibles. You're looking for RFing only, so a taller shell is a good thing (although, the Classic does have a lower RF weight limit, which may, or may not, be a huge issue depending on weight/growth). There's two in favor in of the Classic.

Looks like he has a good leg room in the Classic. There's three.

Your vehicle is equipped with side airbags AND rear-facing by itself provides a substantial amount of side impact protection. There's four (five?) in favor of the Classic.

I'd go with the Classic.:p

Thanks for laying it out that way. I agree.. He does have nice leg space in the seat. I don't think the weight limit will be an issue as I plan to get him a foonf once it is available with a tech discount.

The only thing is my car has changed. You probably remember my car being the ody.... But I now have an Infiniti QX56. While there is no crash test data available... I did check the other cars my the same manufacture and they seem to do well. This car is huge. This car does have side curtain airbags of course... And there's a good amount of space btwn the door and his seat.

Thanks everyone.... I think I'll be keeping him in this seat... I just worry a little bc he looks more exposed than in the current generation seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Maybe this will make you feel better about rear-facing seats' SIP even without headwings:

When we crashed, Maggie was in a Zento. No headwings, pretty open space around the head and really the shell didn't seem that deep! Here's a pic:

163159_494023354353_602359353_5718956_7589035_n.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality; it was taken at night, in the dark, with a crappy cell phone camera before I got a better phone. LOL. But that was taken about 2 months before the crash, so it's a good idea of how she fit in the seat at the time. (Minus the twisty strap, which I fixed every time I buckled, but this was just taken because she wanted a pic in her seat.)

Anyway, you can see- there's not a lot of what we'd think of as "great SIP features", right?

Ok, so in our crash, first there was a side impact on the side away from her, but then after we spun, we went down in a ditch in an offset-frontal- that was on her side- and then over onto the side she was on. As we scraped along the side she was seated on, and I was too, my arm went out the window and dragged along the ground for a few seconds. My neck took a huge beating as my head flew to the side with nothing to stop it, leading to part of the nerve damage that kept me in a collar for two weeks. Her arms and legs stayed cradled within the shell that she'd been pushed into in the frontal portion of the impact. Her head was stopped by the foam and shell of the seat and supported there for the remainder of the crash until the roll. (Actually, the neck/head thing happened twice- during the initial and the secondary/tertiary impacts. All of which had at least some side impact component.) Result: I was in a collar and restricted from lifting for two weeks, and had massive amounts of stitching on my arm. She didn't get one scrape or bruise, only a bit of dust blown into her hair and sticking to her skin. Scared, not hurt, not one bit. In that open-looking, shallow-looking seat- just because she was rear-facing.

I know you've heard the story before but I thought that hearing it from the perspective of what happened to two of us seated on the same side of the car, during the same impacts, and seeing a pic of her in the seat would illustrate just how safe rear-facing is, even in side-impact cases, even when the shell doesn't seem to offer much extra in the way of SIP. :)

In fact, looking at both pics, it seems she fit the seat's flares and curves a lot the same way your little one does- so I think it would do an excellent job in a crash. ;)

tl01

Maybe this will make you feel better about rear-facing seats' SIP even without headwings:

When we crashed, Maggie was in a Zento. No headwings, pretty open space around the head and really the shell didn't seem that deep! Here's a pic:

163159_494023354353_602359353_5718956_7589035_n.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality; it was taken at night, in the dark, with a crappy cell phone camera before I got a better phone. LOL. But that was taken about 2 months before the crash, so it's a good idea of how she fit in the seat at the time. (Minus the twisty strap, which I fixed every time I buckled, but this was just taken because she wanted a pic in her seat.)

Anyway, you can see- there's not a lot of what we'd think of as "great SIP features", right?

Ok, so in our crash, first there was a side impact on the side away from her, but then after we spun, we went down in a ditch in an offset-frontal- that was on her side- and then over onto the side she was on. As we scraped along the side she was seated on, and I was too, my arm went out the window and dragged along the ground for a few seconds. My neck took a huge beating as my head flew to the side with nothing to stop it, leading to part of the nerve damage that kept me in a collar for two weeks. Her arms and legs stayed cradled within the shell that she'd been pushed into in the frontal portion of the impact. Her head was stopped by the foam and shell of the seat and supported there for the remainder of the crash until the roll. (Actually, the neck/head thing happened twice- during the initial and the secondary/tertiary impacts. All of which had at least some side impact component.) Result: I was in a collar and restricted from lifting for two weeks, and had massive amounts of stitching on my arm. She didn't get one scrape or bruise, only a bit of dust blown into her hair and sticking to her skin. Scared, not hurt, not one bit. In that open-looking, shallow-looking seat- just because she was rear-facing.

I know you've heard the story before but I thought that hearing it from the perspective of what happened to two of us seated on the same side of the car, during the same impacts, and seeing a pic of her in the seat would illustrate just how safe rear-facing is, even in side-impact cases, even when the shell doesn't seem to offer much extra in the way of SIP. :)

In fact, looking at both pics, it seems she fit the seat's flares and curves a lot the same way your little one does- so I think it would do an excellent job in a crash. ;)

Thanks for all of that!! It helps me feel okay about my decision. I am actually thinking of using my twe... But my tether straps are missing!!! I think I'd be most happy with him in that seat! My husband reorganized my seats and knows he didn't throw them out but I still can't find them. He said he will look for them for me and if he dont find them I'll order a new set.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was going to say, I think Hakan even sells extra tether straps for that seat, so it shouldn't be as hard as for some brands! Good luck finding them though, much easier than ordering new. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC