Help!! 19 month old hates RFing now

kkcoconut

My Ds is 19 months and has just recently hated RFing. He screams and cries the entire time in the car and when he sees his seat. It started last week when he drove FFing in my mom’s car but was only in it for a minute long ride twice. My goal was to FF till about 4 and 2 at the minimum but I can't take the screaming. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tries giving him toys, books and snacks but nothing works.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It isn't rear-facing he hates; it's being confined. Most kids go through this at about this age.

Keep trying special toys, special snacks, fun music, etc. He will outgrow it. :)

Is he fairly upright so he can see better? That often helps, too.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
He'll get over it. Don't let him ride FFing again until you're ready to turn him.

It may or may not have anything to do with RFing/FFing. It could just be a stage. Or it could be that the novelty of FF did make him want to keep doing it that way for a while. Either way, it should pass.

Kat_Momof3

it is a phase... he would do the same thing if he'd been ff since 12mo, I promise. almost all kids go through a rebellious testing of limits phase where getting them in the car is fun in a "omg I wanna throw the kid across the car" kind of way. fortunately, this, too, shall pass. When? all depends on his personality. And lemme tell ya, it is WAY harder to make a toddler get strapped in when they throw a tantrum and are forward facing... cause when they go flat as a board, they drop to the floor... can't do that rf... the seat is there :)

Ali

DD did that at about that age. I just firmly told her "NO" whenever she tried to pitch a fit. That usually resulted in drama tears, but she learned I wasn't giving in. I also made it into a game - see if I could sing the ABC song before we could get her buckled in. She loved "racing."

MommyShannon

I agree that it will pass. DD2 did that at that age and has never been FF. She actually seems to really like her seat, just goes through phases or days of not wanting to be strapped in. We recently took a long trip so she's fought me more often again lately. Some days the only way to get her in since she braces herself so well is to give her the iPad or iPhone.

creideamh

Yup, phase. DD is doing this now and she's never been FF. Thankfully she's only screaming when I put her in and then stops when we're moving... hoping it stays that way...

Cath3114

My 20m has days like that. She doesn't want to be confined. Fortunately that's not her choice. Sometimes I have to force her in the seat, but FF is not an option.

Emi's Mommy

Another person who says it's totally normal for a 19m old to freak out, not because of RFing but because of being strapped down. It's a developmental phase. Mine turned 19m yesterday and I practically have to fold her in half to get her into her car seat and I can guarantee I'd have to do the same thing if she were FFing.

kkcoconut

Thanks for the input! I just ordered the multi tech so maybe he'll like it better and if not I don't care I'm not going to waste the money by turning him. My goal was having him RFing till 4 minimum so I just have to tough it out when he's acting up I guess.

tl01

My DS2 has screamed in the car since birth. He's turning two next month. It often takes me 20 minutes to wrangle him into the seat. I just have to tough it out and be patient... I give him all sorts of things but he usually he isn't interested. He just wants to be out of his seat playing! Hang in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC