What rear-facing car seats fit in a 2007 Mazda 3 - Answers from those with same car please

E

eodbrt

I am trying to figure out if anyone has a good recommendation for a convertible car-seat that fits in a Mazda 3. I'm looking at Britax but am willing to expand my search. We have a Graco SnugRide 30 now and it has to go on the passenger side and I am all the way in the front (5'6") in the passenger seat. My husband is 6'2". Ideally, I would like a seat I can put in the middle, but at minimum I want something that won't push the passenger seat up any further than it already is. Thank you in advance for anyone with experience with this type of car.

ADS

HappyHoo

I have a 2006 Mazda3 - I don't think there were any big differences between those 2 years.

I am 5'7" - with the older style Britax Marathon installed behind the passenger and braced, I had more room up front than I did with my Graco SnugRide.

The newer Britax seats are a little shorter I believe, so probably would provide a bit extra room.

Currently, I have a Radian XTSL installed in there. It definitely takes up a lot of room. Although it's better now that I use the angle adjuster. My DS is over 2 1/2 though. I think the child has to be at least 1 to use the angle adjuster.

I have not tried installing any seats in the middle. My 3 is a 5 speed, so I like being able to have the drivers seat at a comfortable spot for using the clutch - and my DH is about 6 ft tall - so based on how we've had to have the passenger seat, I don't think the seats we've tried would have worked that well in the center for us.

Phineasmama

Most of the convertible seats you look at will take up less room than an infant seat on a base.

All the new Britax models (roundabout55, marathon70, blvd70, etc etc) have the same shell height so if you want one of those it doesn't really matter which one you get, they all take up the same amount of room front to back. If you go to BabiesRus or ToysRus they should let you try it out in your car to see if it fits. If it does you can always order another model online probably for a better price and get the color you want.

Haley.h87

I drive a 2011 Mazda3 so I know there is some difference, but of all the seats I have for my DD (28 months), I like the fit of our Graco MyRide65 the best in my car. I have installed it outboard driver's side (I am 5'6" and can comfortably drive in front of it as long as my seat is more upright which I don't mind at all, but my 6' DH can't drive in front if it), outboard passenger side, and in the center. The center install gives the most room, but all three seating positions are totally do-able.
I have had my Radian XTSL RF behind my drivers seat braced, but I do not think the install of the Radian in that car is very good period for RF. I haven't tried with an AA though.
A True Fit fits well RF in the back seat in both outboard positions but has a lower (35lb) weight limit and with a bigger child it might not be the best option.

HappyHoo said:
I am 5'7" - with the older style Britax Marathon installed behind the passenger and braced, I had more room up front than I did with my Graco SnugRide
I don't think you can brace a Britax. I think Britax only allows gentle touching. Also, I know that in my 2011, nothing can touch the passenger seat at all so the only place a seat can touch when it is allowed by the CSR manufacturer is behind the driver.

Phineasmama

A 2006 may or may not have advanced airbags so that is definitely something to look into. Usually if you have advanced airbags the only seat that the car seat can be touching is the front passenger seat.

KaiLing

I drive a 2005 Mazda 3, not sure if the body changed in those two years. My assumption is that yours, like mine, has advanced airbags, and I'm relatively certain you can't touch the front passenger seat but the driver's seat is OK.

RF Britaxes have fit fine outboard. RF MyRide fit fine outboard, but I didn't sit in the front much (we only had the MyRide in that car for a short while). Coccoro fits outboard and center for me driving.

I can't put a RF Radian in that car for an older / heavier toddler. Just can't. In the passenger side it over-reclines without the angle adjuster, and with the angle adjuster I couldn't get it to go much above 45 degrees, making the front seat basically unusable (though I didn't try this too much--I'd already given up on this car / car-seat combo). It's only moderately OK braced behind my driver's seat and I am still a bit too close (I'm 5'8" with shortish legs). Braced outboard behind the driver with the angle adjuster might work, but you'd have to not move the driver's seat. I can't make it work in the center with my height.

I have a very tall other driver (6'9"), so I haven't mucked with the center position much, because his seat all the way back and reclined makes the center impossible for everything (going on the if a coccoro won't fit nothing will fit theory). But I also don't love the center seat belts with the two buckles--they have made some things awkward (though not the coccoro).

KaiLing

I am 5'7" - with the older style Britax Marathon installed behind the passenger and braced, I had more room up front than I did with my Graco SnugRide.
I'll confirm what the PP said, bracing on the passenger side is likely not suggested by Mazda in a post-2005 Mazda 3. But the air bag section of my manual is rather opaque, suggesting that you not hang groceries or kick the seat. My interpretation is that those airbag sensors aren't supposed to be pushed on.

HappyHoo

Interesting on the bracing b/c I know I specifically checked my manual to be sure it was okay and didn't see anything prohibiting it. I'll check it again - if so, then I'll definitely be turning my DS FF in that car when he turns 3.

Although my "bracing" ends up mostly being the top of the carseat fits into the space between the top of the seat and the risen headrest (headrest moved up to fit me sitting in the passenger seat).

And I had the older Marathon, so it allowed bracing from what I remember researching - not sure if that's changed for the newer models.

Phineasmama

Interesting on the bracing b/c I know I specifically checked my manual to be sure it was okay and didn't see anything prohibiting it. I'll check it again - if so, then I'll definitely be turning my DS FF in that car when he turns 3.

Although my "bracing" ends up mostly being the top of the carseat fits into the space between the top of the seat and the risen headrest (headrest moved up to fit me sitting in the passenger seat).

And I had the older Marathon, so it allowed bracing from what I remember researching - not sure if that's changed for the newer models.

I believe they're talking about the actual vehicle not allowing bracing behind the passenger seat. You should check your Mazda's manual in the airbag section. For cars with advanced airbags you're not supposed to have anything touching/putting pressure on the seat.

Ninetales

Usually it will be like a PP said, and it'll say something like "do not hang items from, or kick/push/pull on seats." They often don't specificy carseats so it's not easy to find.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC