The hype re the foonf

atw

I know there are a few foonf threads, but I want some expert opinions.

So blah blah blah, we are short a convertible. We like all our seats, but we were tired of pitching daughter into the blvd so we have a RN for her. Blvd for my son.

is the safety of the foonf a marketing thing, or do they actually have cause to say they are the safest seat available? Is that 40 % thing for real? Wait and see? What are anyone's thoughts?

It's just the foonf is so darn cute, but I still want a good reason to by it over mr or rn...:) So give me some. Or don't!

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
My review is linked in my signature.

I was very impressed when I "met" the Foonf. I will be purchasing one. The REACT system is going to benefit the forward facing child. Clek will be publishing their crash testing results so we will have numbers. I like that kind of transparency out of a CRS manufacturer.

Phineasmama

I'm really impressed by the 40% thing for FFing kids...I am thinking about getting one for my DS since he can still RF in it now but it would give me more peace of mind when it does have to go FFing!

Syllieann

I think the biggest draw on the foonf is that it's a bit taller than the rn for rf and should be more compatible with a wider range of vehicles. I think the ff 40% thing is interesting. Britax makes similar claims w/ their sict and safe cell but many people on this forum just brush that off because it's only Britax's claims. I don't really see Clek's 40% thing as any different. It's clek's claim. I'm sure both mfg can produce data to back it up but it probably represents a contrived scenario to make the most difference and may or may not be relevant in the real world. I think the foonf looks awesome but I probably wouldn't pay $200 more for it if a radian worked in my vehicle.

canadiangie

REACT, Safe Cell and the Safe Stop are all very different from one another.

REACT absorbs crash force so that the child's body experiences much less force. I saw a chunk of crashed honey comb (REACT) when I met Foonf and it was fascinating.

Safe Cell lowers the child's centre of gravity upon impact which reduces forward head excursion. Britax needed to lower their forward head excursion numbers IMO, so it's great that they did, but Safe Cell is not REACT.

The Safe Stop technology on Diono seats is a load limiter that actually increases forward head excursion slightly, lessening the force on a child's neck and spine. Again, this is a good thing, but it's not REACT.

I came away from meeting Foonf feeling quite impressed. As I understand it, their injury criterion numbers are very good even when the REACT technology is not present on the seat. With REACT the numbers are *phenomenal*.

I think the biggest draw on the foonf is that it's a bit taller than the rn for rf and should be more compatible with a wider range of vehicles. I think the ff 40% thing is interesting. Britax makes similar claims w/ their sict and safe cell but many people on this forum just brush that off because it's only Britax's claims. I don't really see Clek's 40% thing as any different. It's clek's claim. I'm sure both mfg can produce data to back it up but it probably represents a contrived scenario to make the most difference and may or may not be relevant in the real world. I think the foonf looks awesome but I probably wouldn't pay $200 more for it if a radian worked in my vehicle.

canadiangie

I was referring to SICT, not safe stop. Britax claims 40ish, maybe 45 iirc reduced forces to the child.

SICT is a little pie in the skyish because there are no side impact standards to meet. I suspect that's why some ppl brush those claims off. Personally I think side cushions on a seat can't hurt, so if someone wants them, have at it. :)

I mentioned Safe Stop (Diono) because it's a direct competitor to Clek, and makes claims about their seats being safest, while also publishing data.

From what I gather, REACT is going to work really well in all crashes, for all ages. It's an integral part of Foonf's technology, not bonus material aimed at reducing xyz in xyz type of crash a la Safe Cell, SICT, and Safe Stop.

cso1997

The great thing for me is that the Foonf is made by a company that I trust with my child's life. The closest competition for a tall seat is the Radian which I won't even consider.

Phineasmama

I love my radians :love: At least in my van I do. But I can definitely see the Foonf being better in some vehicles and it definitely looks awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one :cool:

soph's mom

I know I've read bad ratings about quality control or something about the radians but what is it again that the company does that you don't trust?

Little Ps Mama

soph's mom said:
I know I've read bad ratings about quality control or something about the radians but what is it again that the company does that you don't trust?

:yeahthat:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

lovemybabies924

i love my radians too! but the foonf will be in the picture as soon as i get pregnant again and need a three across third row and a FF kid harnessed still

cso1997

They have no idea what they are talking about 95% of the time. They try to make rules via Internet forums instead of via the manual. They give crazy, off the wall advice over the phone. They make up new rules and backpedal when people get upset. They sell very questionable after market car seat accessories and tell people they are "crash tested". What does that even actually mean? Instead of just fixing the annoying recline angle with something that is attached to the seat, they give us yet another accessory. They had to change their name because so many people dislike/distrust them. Oh wait, they wanted a more global sounding name :rolleyes:

Just to name a few...

ETA: Just my personal opinion though. There is plenty of Britax dislike too. To each, their own

Cath3114

I'm just curious, has anybody asked if Clek will have a crash replacement assistance program? I know Diono does (or did). I'm assuming the Foonf will be a "Replace after any crash" seat given the REACT technology and crumpling of the honeycomb cells (if anybody knows different, please share).

And given that people have enough trouble getting insurance companies to replace $200 seats, I don't see them being willing to replace a $500 one.

careynj

cso1997 said:
They have no idea what they are talking about 95% of the time. They try to make rules via Internet forums instead of via the manual. They give crazy, off the wall advice over the phone. They make up new rules and backpedal when people get upset. They sell very questionable after market car seat accessories and tell people they are "crash tested". What does that even actually mean? Instead of just fixing the annoying recline angle with something that is attached to the seat, they give us yet another accessory. They had to change their name because so many people dislike/distrust them. Oh wait, they wanted a more global sounding name :rolleyes:

Just to name a few...

ETA: Just my personal opinion though. There is plenty of Britax dislike too. To each, their own

Totally agree. Very annoyed a skj right now with the whole Monterey thing. I looked at radians a one point for in my car, but that won't be happening.

Syllieann

Most of the Diono issue is public relations. I still feel that their seats are well made, quality products that will do what they were designed for. It will be nice when the foonf gives us choices but atm, the radian is the highest capacity rf seat on the market. Even when the foonf is available, many people can't blow $450 on a seat. I hope there aren't people reading all the Diono hate that decide to just ff instead because they have no other rf option.

laurengt

Syllieann said:
Most of the Diono issue is public relations. I still feel that their seats are well made, quality products that will do what they were designed for. It will be nice when the foonf gives us choices but atm, the radian is the highest capacity rf seat on the market. Even when the foonf is available, many people can't blow $450 on a seat. I hope there aren't people reading all the Diono hate that decide to just ff instead because they have no other rf option.

This pretty well sums up my opinion as well.

Phineasmama

Yup. I do believe that Diono seats are safe and well made. I will keep using my radians despite some of the public relations drama that has been going on.

soph's mom

Both the foonf and the radian have a 9 year life span correct? I like the design of the foonf better but honestly with the price difference I would probably go with a radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC