HWH seats and little boys...

kidnurse

Or more specifically little boy parts. I know that some HWH seats can be uncomfortable for little boys, like the Nautilus that I love but am afraid will not work for my son. He is especially sensitive after having surgery to repair an inguinal hernia in that area recently.

I really like the Recargo Sport, I think it is called. I would also really like a seat with lock-offs for belt installs.

My son is 3 1/2 yrs and 39 lbs. I was really hoping to make it until at least 4 1/2 RF-ing but we recently lost a puppy to parvo, and let's just say his Radian got contaminated. Parvo is very hard to kill, disinfect. As much as I would love to keep him RF, I just can't see spending that much money on a seat that we would not get much more RF-ing time out of. He is currently FF in his TF that he used when he was an infant and he is very comfortable in that but we need another seat.

Any recommendations?
TIA

ADS

featherhead

I don't know anything about the Recaro seat (Prosport?). But I do know that the Frontier85 has a very generous crotch strap depth. It has three positions for the crotch strap.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
J has never complained about that in the Nautilus-he'll be five in a few days. He also has plenty of room in the Frontier 85.

Lenae

My DS is rounding on 4 1/2 and has been using a Nautilus for a year now, no complaints. I know it happens for some kids, but some are fine. I'd say give it a shot and if you don't like it, I recommend checking out the Frontier.

christineka

The frontier was built for a big kid. It has a long crotch strap and also a good length for the outer position.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
The ProSport has a long crotch strap and the slot options provide plenty of room. Though, I have two boys that regularly ride in a Nautilus, ProSport, or Frontier. Neither have complained about any of the seats and they are quite..."sensitive" to that area :)

henrietta

And as far as parvo is concerned, I'd toss the Radian cover in the wash w/a smidge of bleach (or even chlorine free bleach) ...and wipe the rest down really well w/disinfectant wipes. I'd have no qualms about using it again.

I've been a dog trainer for 15 years, worked in several shelters, grooming shops, vet clinics, and done rescue in my home for many years...

I see no problem w/using the Radian again.

henrietta

firemomof3

My ds is especially sensitive to short crotch straps and from experience I have found the Frontier, ProSport and Securekid to all have generous crotch room.

kidnurse

It is the harness I am worried about in regards to the parvo. What is the most extensive cleaning I can do to the straps without compromising there integrity? I don't think my son will like the Radian as a FF seat and I am afraid of the cost of replacing the straps.

Baylor

Neither of my boys complained in nautilus. I think some people over tighten. I also have fr85 with no complaints either.

auto correct hates me

Phineasmama

I got replacement straps for one of my Radians and I'm pretty sure it was only like $7, they are not expensive at all!

I was also going to suggest the Frontier. The furthest crotch buckle is very far out and I don't think you'd ever have a problem.

Kat_Momof3

you know, my boys never cared about being squished as long as the seat had a "winky 'tector" otherwise known as a belly pad.

now I think, ff, if they are sitting on some of the strap and you can't pull the strap forward and see the slot AT ALL, AND they are complaining, there's something to worry about, but otherwise, probably not something to worry about... especially if they wear denim a lot (stiff pants do help protect some)

the evenflo securekid 400 from looking at it seems very generous in the crotch area, so I'm sure the 300 would be, and the Maestro isn't bad, but of course the Frontier is the most generous with regard to boy parts as it's predecessor the Husky/Regent was.

That said, I don't think this is an issue for most boys unless they are very very short torso'd and have most of their height in their legs AND are on the fluffier side... OR are quite chunky kids.

Syllieann

I also say save the radian!! Toss the straps, wash the rest, buy a new harness and you're good to go. Sorry about your puppy, that is so sad.

henrietta

It is the harness I am worried about in regards to the parvo. What is the most extensive cleaning I can do to the straps without compromising there integrity? I don't think my son will like the Radian as a FF seat and I am afraid of the cost of replacing the straps.

If the puppy didn't poop or vomit in his carseat, I really wouldn't be that worried about it. Wipe them down w/a damp rag or replace them.

I've had parvo pups before. The "super contagious" factor comes from the virus being spread in their feces. It can live in the ground for 6 years or more. Obviously, it's easy for feces to get into and onto all kinds of things if you have kids and pups and don't happen to see it all right away. Being cautious is fine, so replace the straps and you're good to go.

But, if the pup didn't get anything like that on the seat and you really want to kiss the seat good bye, I'd clean it just like you normally would and pass it on. Also, you won't know if it's okay forward facing for him until you try it. You may be surprised.

I'm sorry about your puppy, too.

henrietta

tjham

J has never complained about that in the Nautilus-he'll be five in a few days.

My grandson will be 7 next month and has never complained about the "crotchal area" of the Nautilus. We just converted it to a booster but it wasn't because of that reason.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC