Three across with a PWSG

msg221

Do you think it will work with a MR and an RN RXT? That is what I am going to attempt tomorrow morning. I'm taking Nour, Zain, and their cousin, Ziad to my company BBQ/Picnic tomorrow (and praying it doesn't rain as there is a 30% chance). I just wanted to try something different but if it doesn't work, I can go to what I know does work, which is a FF RN and the Argos.

ADS

scoutingbear

I'm thinking quite possibly if the RN is center, or try the Argos center if you don't absolutely have to see out the rear window. I was really surprised when I put the GN center once. You have a Highlander, right? :)

msg221

Yes, I have a Highlander (2003). I am just not looking forward to hauling the RN out again. Hmm, I wonder if I could convince Zain to either sit in the Eliza Argos or RF in the RN because I don't want to have to put the Safestop back on. I took it off a few weeks back when we had Katelyn & Owen so I could RF Katelyn in it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I can actually squeeze a PWSG next to a RF Radian in my Civic, and that's really saying something. I have to wiggle the PWSG into place and it's really hard to buckle, but it works. Barely.

msg221

After spending over an hour trying to come up with some combination that would work, I gave up and put the TB back in my car. So behind the driver I put the RN in RF, the TB in the center, and the Argos behind the passenger seat. I will probably put Nour in the RN RF since she'll have more leg room than Zain would, then Zain will have to deal with sitting in the Argos. Hopefully he won't even notice the pink or that it's "Nour's seat" (she has one in her mom's van too). I think if it comes down to sitting in her seat or not coming with us, he'll deal! And hopefully Nour won't say anything about having to RF again. She didn't last time, so maybe she just won't care. This setup gave the most room to buckle the TB. I couldn't get the PWSG to work because those "wings' in the center got in the way. Maybe if I'd worked at a little longer, but I didn't have time, so this is going to be the 3 across set up today.

scoutingbear

Darn! I was hoping for different news on this thread. I have a PWSG on the way and, although it is going in dh's car, I was wondering if I could configure things differently in mine

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think it just depends on the shape of your vehicle seat and such. I don't think I'd be able to make it work if I were using the angle adjuster, at least in my car. The side of the Radian has to nestle right in between the PWSG's arm rest and seat. Don't give up hope, Karen! Give it a try - it might work.

scoutingbear

I also have a highlander (same body style) and a RF RN. I'm not giving up hope, but if I move the PWSG to my car, it means moving the Monterey to dh's...and that is a whole 'nother problem!

msg221

Well, it wasn't all that great with the TB either. I used the angle adjuster with the RN but probably shouldn't have. Since I had to move the RN closer to the door in order to get some room to buckle the TB, there's that stupid little hump on the end of the seat, so I think the AA makes it a little more tippy. Anyway, it seemed like there was less room to try and buckle the TB on our way back home so I don't know if the seat moved or what (even though I know it was in there tight) I am so glad that I don't need a 3 across every time, because it is a royal PIA to buckle the booster. I am back to wanting to try an Evenflo Big Kid because it has those high armrests. I am thinking of going to BRU to see if can try one in my car and if it works, I'll just get one of those while they are on sale for $29.99 now.

Honestly, I don't know what will work next to the PWSG. With a FF RN outboard, I couldn't buckle the PWSG because the RN just got in the way of the buckle. I tried the PWSG in the center with the MR FF next to it and it was too hard to buckle with the MR as well but I think it was because of what I mentioned before, the center part of the PWSG gets in the way. I don't know what to try anymore but I need to find a booster that will work there without me wanting to curse like a sailor every time I try to buckle it.

On the upside, Nour didn't care about RF again and Zain didn't say a word about having to ride in that girly Argos!

scoutingbear

I do a 3 across every day in that car, remember? :D Our current set up is: driver's side Monterey (A is about the only one that can actually buckle it. I can but it is a TIGHT squeeze. he has just enough room to reach his hand down there to buckle. If I do it I have to loosen the LATCH, slide the seat to the very edge of the vehicle seat, buckle, and push the booster back); RF RN center; Frontier85 (harness mode) passenger side. As an alternative, the GN fits where the Monterey is now and a turbo does fit on the passenger side. But again, it is slide the TB to the door, buckle, slide back. A has mastered the buckling in any position he is in. I'm in no hurry to move C out of the Frontier and have to buckle him. :p

On the other hand, dh's car is about to become fun. :rolleyes: C has just about outgrown the GN. A has almost outgrown the HBTB. C can't sleep in a TB or he falls out. PWSG on its way and M might outgrow the CCO in the next 6 months.

msg221

Okay, now I am thoroughly impressed that you got the FR85 to work in a 3 across with anything! That thing is such a beast that I never even bothered to try it in my 3 across. And I wouldn't have thought about the Monterey working either! I guess if I want to use my FR85 in a 3 across, I'm going to have to learn to install with the seat belt. I never bothered because LATCH worked so well. Did you use the LBP or the SBP? I would love to be able to leave the FR85 in there. I might have to play with my seats again!

scoutingbear

I am able to get it installed with the sbp. I can't use LATCH on the FR since my kid weighs 53 pounds. The Monterey is LATCHEd in but not tight if that makes sense.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm always surprised at how well Karen's Highlander works for both Radians, and three acrosses! But man Karen, that does not sound fun with your husband's car, I know how hard you worked to get them in there with what you've got in now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC