Original FR vs FR85

morlando27

If I didn't like the original FR, do I have any hope of liking the FR85? I can't really pinpoint what I didn't like about the FR but I didn't feel the love when I bought one for DS1 four years ago. It was incompatible with DH's truck but we don't have that vehicle anymore so that's a moot point. It worked in my car but I preferred the GN and ended up selling the FR.

I'm now in the market to buy a combination seat for DS2 and think I'd still prefer the GN but am considering the FR85 mainly because it would give us the option of using is as a hbb for DS1 on the rare occasion we take long trips. He'll be 8 in a few weeks and doesn't have much growing room left in the hbbs we have for him (Vivo, ProBooster & Monterey). I'm coming to terms with him using a nbb for daily use but would like to have the option of a hbb for longer trips.

Aside from the increased weight and height limits, what has changed from the FR to the FR85?

ADS

morlando27

Wow! I didn't pay much attention to the FR85 since I didn't like the original. I assumed the FR85 just had increased limits but it looks like Britax made a lot of improvements!

cowgirlsmommy

The FR85 is very different from the original. I have both and the 85 is a lot easier to install and use. Give it a try!

morlando27

If I remember correctly you had to do a SBP installation above a certain weight with the FR. Is it the same with the FR85?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You must be thinking of the post-advisory Regents which have different belt path install method requirements based on the child's weight (short belt path at 40 lbs. and up and long belt path below 40 lbs.), but that's not the case with any of the Frontiers. Use whichever seatbelt install method allows you to achieve a proper install for the Frontier models in harnessed mode. :) In my experience, the FR85 is more installation friendly than the original Frontier model. I've owned the FR85 and the original Frontier as well as Regents, with lots of install practice on them all.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC