Question seat covers in the dryer? Why/why not?

MrsJennyK

Hi everyone,

I bought two used convertibles (Alpha Omega Elite/3-in-1 Deluxe) for my twins to use until I figure out what I *really* want. They've outgrown their bucket seats, so I needed to hurry up!
:)

I bought them from a friend, so I feel confident that they haven't been in an accident.

What I didn't realize is how FILTHY they are. OMG I would never, ever sell something so dirty. In fact, I would never allow my car seats to become that filthy! I didn't realize how bad it was until I took the seat pads off and saw the incredible amount of debris in the creases. There are also crumbs(?) or something and also sticky stuff on the actual car seat, under it, on the back, on the base under the seat pad. What did she do - feed her twins 3 meals a day in those things? Egads!!!! :sick:

Anyhow... I don't really want to invest in new covers since I consider this a temporary thing, so I'm washing them. I washed them on delicate in my top loader.

What is the reason we shouldn't put them in the dryer? I can't imagine that air dry would do any harm at all, and even the delicate setting doesn't seem to get them any warmer than the sun. Is shrinkage the issue?

Jenny

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

You'd be surprised how fast seats become filthy and somehow everything ends up under the cover and in all the cracks! :rolleyes:

I wash mine on gentle and put them in the dryer on the coolest setting. I've never had a shrinkage issue.

Brianna

My concern for a seat(s) that dirty would be if the harness straps were ruined- either by being crusted up or if the previous owner had put them in the washer.

The concern with drying covers in the dryer is shrinking. If it's possible for them to line-dry that's preferable. I've had to wash covers in the middle of winter so the dryer was my only option, I used the no heat setting so it wouldn't shrink.

Are you interested in suggestions for seats for your twins?

MrsJennyK

I asked a couple of questions a while back and that helped me sort of narrow my choices a a bit. I've made a list of some things I think I'd like in a car seat, but since I'm new to convertibles I'm not 100% sure I know what I want!

I really like having the feature where you have infinite shoulder adjustment - no re-threading and it is always just right. These car seats have that. ETA: I should add that I *think* I will like that, but I haven't used the seats at all yet.

My boys are small for their age and maybe they'll catch up and maybe they won't, but I figure that whatever car seat we get will be a 5-year deal. If I'm going to spend $200 each for them, I want them to be durable and have a pretty high weight limit. RF to FF to booster to belt positioner is a plus but I guess not totally necessary.

Also, because I am weird about having them clean, I want the seat pads to come off and go on pretty easily, as I expect to wash them regularly.

I obviously want them to be comfortable for the kids, now and as they get bigger.

We drive a T&C and the boys are in the captains chairs. I think I shouldn't have a problem with fit?

I'm leaving off safety because I assume no one here would recommend a car seat they didn't think was super safe!

Jenny

p.s. one of the cover sets is drying outside and one is in the dryer on the delicate setting... an experiment of sorts!

Last edited:

Suzibeck

The First Years True Fit has a no re-thread harness, a nice tall shell, higher weight limits, and the cover is a breeze to get on and off. I have my petite 4 year old rf in one and I like it a lot. It has the easiest cover to wash of all the seats I've had and I've had a lot over the course of 20+ years.

ETA: I'm just getting back in the loop on new seats. I'm sure someone else will have other suggestions, I just thought of the TF because it met so many of your wants. It does not become a booster though, but I prefer dedicated boosters anyway.

mominabigtruck

Most of my covers I do in the dryer, the only ones I've ever had a problem with are evenflo. They're covers are very poufy and formed and just tend not to come out very well. Dorel covers, which you have now, I have no problems running them through with a regular load of laundry. They're alot thinner and the backing is different.
Posted via Mobile Device

MrsJennyK

I didn't wash the harness - I know better from reading here :)

I just wiped them down with a washcloth. Oddly, they don't seem particularly dirty! I'm not worried that she washed them either, because it's clear to me that she didn't wash anything else.

Jenny

MrsJennyK

Well I washed both sets of covers in my top loader on the gentle cycle in warm water (as per the washing instructions). I put one set in the dryer on air for about 20 minutes and then put them outside in the sun. The other set was washed the same way and put in the dryer on the delicate setting for a total of probably an hour and a half. Both got dry, both went right back on the car seats without problem.

Jenny

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC