Ohho...quick question

ThreeBeans

How much does it cost to retrofit shoulder belts into an older car with lap-belts only?

I have a friend who has a six year old and a four year old. The six year old is in a booster and the four year old is in a harnessed seat.

She wanted to know if it was safer to put the six year old in the back in a lapbelt or the front with her booster. I told her I THINK it is safer to put the kid in the front with a booster and the seat all the way pushed back. It's a 1985 sedan, no airbags.

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
yes...its much safe for him to be in the front where there is a lap shoulder belt. she doesnt have shoulder belts even on the two outboard seats? hmmm itll be tough to put either one in a lap belt when the 4 yo outgrows his seat, and im not sure that you can have shoulder belts retrofitted. im nto positive, but ive never heard of it.

maybe she can just buy a new car....:eek:

ThreeBeans

She is WICKED poor. They definitely can't afford a new car. I was thinking about the 86Y harness but even that might be outside their budget. Dammit. :(

It's all lap belts in the back, unfortunately. She's got the four year old in the center because the two outboard seats are ELR lapbelts which you obviously can't use on a CRS.

CandCfam

I don't know how much it costs, but maybe this page will give her a bit of info.

ETA: Has she considered writing the Kyle Miller foundation and trying to get a HWH seat for her oldest?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It can be VERY expensive to retrofit shoulder belts. I've seen it be as much as a grand for some cars. The 86Y or Kid-Y is a much better bet. I haven't priced the KID-Y but the 86Y was about $80 including shipping. It includes the heavy duty anchor bracket. If she is even somewhat mechanically inclined she can install the anchor herself using the generic tether location info found in the red tether manual. Depending on the car, there may be a predrilled hole (which she will have to drill out to make larger). She will also need a toque wrench to tighten the bolt for the anchor to the proper tension. Most guys with an interest in tools will have a torque wrench laying around somewhere. They are a common tool and fairly inexpensive ($10) so she can probably borrow one from someone she knows. If not, Kragen and Pepboys will usually let you use one to check something real quick if you ask nicely. ( works just like a regular wrench, except to turn a dial to the lbs of pressure you want, turn the bolt, when the wrench clicks, you are done). Note: she would also want to check if the booster her daughter has is compatible with the harness.

As for right now, I'd put the girl in the front with a booster.

As far as the ELR belts in the outboard rear, You can install a car seat using them. You use something called a belt shortening clip. It looks like a locking clip, only bigger and made from a steel alloy instead of nickel. You can order them from any Ford dealer for free. I've had them try to charge me for them, but if you insist the look it up, they are free. I get them literally by the case to use as locking clips for events. For that matter, if you private message me, I'll mail one out, along with step by step pictures of me using it. Some techs know how to use them still, but even when belt shortening clips were part of the curriculum there weren't that many who ever needed to use one IRL. I had a car that needed one until about 2 years ago, so I'm pretty sure I can still do it, :p.

If you can obtain a bsc maybe your friend could scrape together enough money for an Apex.

It sucks bigtime that latch laws forced Britax to stop making the Laptop.

Kimberly

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Actually, if she can install the tether anchor, she can get the 86Y harness for $52 plus shipping, and that includes the tether anchor hardware. If her daughter is less than 65 lbs, the 86Y must be used with a booster, either HB or backless. If her daughter is over 65 lbs, she may choose to use it with the booster, which she will probably prefer as it helps keep the lap belt properly positioned.

If $52 is still too much, perhaps you could help her out by contacting local community groups and asking them to donate? Lion's Club or Freemasons, for example? Maybe even a local church? They could possibly even hook her up with a local handy-man who could help install the tether anchor if it's too confusing for her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC