Smart Seat base loosening?

hunypooh77

My cousin decided to get a Smart Seat because she thought it would be good since she could get extra bases and have just 1 seat :rolleyes:...well now she HATES it! She said its extremely hard to move from base to base and the bases keep getting loose. So loose that I was able to fold the latch strap in half without pushing down on the base at all :eek: Is there a problem with that seat?

ADS

Brianna

Is she near a tech from here who can look at the seat and see if it was an installation problem vs. possible problem with the seat?

hunypooh77

I know she had it installed at a firehouse. I am not near anyone from on here and she is not far from me...She got 2 extra bases and seems to have similar problems with them all.

njkj

I would advise her to install the bases with the seatbelt instead of LATCH and call Graco.

Brianna

Did they install for her or teach her to install? If they installed for her, did she double check for tightness?

hunypooh77

She said it was tight at first and keeps getting loose, and she cant get it tight enough again. I asked her if she put her full weight on it while tightening and she laughed so I assume she didnt.

Brianna

IIRC, it's a push-release button and not a tilt-lock mechanism, so it really shouldn't be loosening if it was tight originally.

I would have her install with the seat belt as njkj suggested. I know Darren did a video of how to install the base on carseatblog.com, it may be helpful for her to watch it before she tries installing it.

Brianna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYTXo62-PEI&list=UU6QCBRVJYYMVHVkxqmVm62A&index=85&feature=plcp

And here's the LATCH one in case she wants to try that again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWx3k8TTozc&list=UU6QCBRVJYYMVHVkxqmVm62A&index=86&feature=plcp

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some users have found that the weight of the seat on the base is enough to compress the base down more, causing it to need re-tightening. It's a really heavy seat...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC