Ensuring that cpsts are up to date

christineka

Here's what's in place now: To become a cpst, you take a class. Mine was 3.5 days long. It's about half book learning and half practical. Then you do a seat check. 2 years later you must recertify. In order to recertify, you must pass of that you can install the various types of seats (rfing only, rf convertible, ff, and booster) with belt and latch. You have to take part in one community event. Also get 6 ceu credits (from webnars, seminars, taking tests on the manual, etc)

Still, we all know about techs who don't know their stuff. They ffing kids at just a year, borrow latch where not allowed, brace when not allowed, etc.

I'm just interested in a discussion on how we can put safety nets in place to catch and educate cpsts who are giving out dangerous advice. Also, how do you know a cpst is a current cpst and has not allowed their certification to expire? I'm just curious because not every cpst has their info listed publicly on the safe kids certification website.

My idea for making sure cpsts are up to date is to have a required quiz on the certification website and you have to get 100% correct to be recertified. Questions on the quiz would include best practice, such as "Which direction should a convertible seat face for a 24 pound 18 month old?"

Anyway, just interested in ideas.

ADS

Phineasmama

I guess I would start with making sure that the teachers of the CPST classes know their stuff, and go from there! You can't really blame a tech for not knowing if they've been taught by some idiot who insists on FFing so "they don't break their legs".

luckyclov

The majority of techs are law enforecement, at least in my area. If they're not LE, they're related to some other field/job that required them to get certified. They didn't choose to become a tech. They aren't especially interested in CPS. They were "voluntold" (as the LE in my tech course called it) to go to the course. Most of them don't take it seriously.

The important areas of the curriculum (what's on the exams) are pointed out by the instructors as "highlighter moments". The curriculum teaches "general" stuff and that's, really, all that's covered. So, you come out of the course thinking all RFing seats can be installed anywhere between 30 and 45 degrees. And that there's no weight limit on a tether anchor. Or that Clek boosters have to be unLATCHED and seatbelted when they're empty :)rolleyes:). And you still get another hands-on attempt even though you just tried to install a Nautilus rear-facing.

It's really difficult for "volunteer" techs to get out there and involved in my area. I've battled it since day one. I've been told by the FD that the county has "established" service, the same free service I offer, so there's no reason to send anyone to me. My local Safe Kids coordinator will not return emails I've sent requesting to meet her. I've been told doing seat checks with "strangers" isn't safe and they should be referred to PD.

It's all very frustrating.

ETA: I really enjoyed my tech course. But I'd be lying if I said I learned anything. Because I didn't. OK, I did - I had never used a belt shortening clip before. All of the other students in my course (less 1 ;)), really, didn't have a clue about anything - and most of them were parents (as well as LE). A couple of them gave a good effort. Most of them didn't. The lead instructor was very-by-the- textbook. She was young and admitted she wasn't happy at her job (and you could tell) during some "down time" at the seat check event. I really enjoyed one of the instructors; he knew his stuff and he seemed like he genuinely cared about keeping kids safe.

In a perfect world, everyone would be geeks like us and stay up until 3 am reading misc. CPS related stuff and be able to quote manuals on all 1263512635 different CRs on the market. But the world isn't perfect. There ARE good techs out there, absolutely. But I agree, I wish there was more to ensure knowledge retained, new and old, on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Baylor

luckyclov said:
The majority of techs are law enforecement, at least in my area. If they're not LE, they're related to some other field/job that required them to get certified. They didn't choose to become a tech. They aren't especially interested in CPS. They were "voluntold" (as the LE in my tech course called it) to go to the course. Most of them don't take it seriously.

The important areas of the curriculum (what's on the exams) are pointed out by the instructors as "highlighter moments". The curriculum teaches "general" stuff and that's, really, all that's covered. So, you come out of the course thinking all RFing seats can be installed anywhere between 30 and 45 degrees. And that there's no weight limit on a tether anchor. Or that Clek boosters have to be unLATCHED and seatbelted when they're empty :)rolleyes:). And you still get another hands-on attempt even though you just tried to install a Nautilus rear-facing.

It's really difficult for "volunteer" techs to get out there and involved in my area. I've battled it since day one. I've been told by the FD that the county has "established" service, the same free service I offer, so there's no reason to send anyone to me. My local Safe Kids coordinator will not return emails I've sent requesting to meet her. I've been told doing seat checks with "strangers" isn't safe and they should be referred to PD.

That's just sad.

auto correct hates me

morlando27

:yeahthatsad:

ETA: I really enjoyed my tech course. But I'd be lying if I said I learned anything. Because I didn't. OK, I did - I had never used a belt shortening clip before. All of the other students in my course (less 1 ;)), really, didn't have a clue about anything - and most of them were parents (as well as LE). A couple of them gave a good effort. Most of them didn't. The lead instructor was very-by-the- textbook. She was young and admitted she wasn't happy at her job (and you could tell) during some "down time" at the seat check event. I really enjoyed one of the instructors; he knew his stuff and he seemed like he genuinely cared about keeping kids safe.

In a perfect world, everyone would be geeks like us and stay up until 3 am reading misc. CPS related stuff and be able to quote manuals on all 1263512635 different CRs on the market. But the world isn't perfect. There ARE good techs out there, absolutely. But I agree, I wish there was more to ensure knowledge retained, new and old, on a regular basis.

:yeahthatsad: That's exactly how it is in my area too.:thumbsdown:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We were just talking about this on the listserv. I was at a ceu class. Gabe was doing his seat checks. Most everyone else there was law enforcement. I saw so many mistakes. :(

djma

Totally agree with luckyclov since I was there too. :p Nothing like being able to correct your instructor on a few things (the booster, the handle on a graco carrier, etc).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Such is life, I suppose. The director of my SK is just as enthused about carseats as I am, but when we schedule recert classes or CEU credit classes, we get no one signed up for them. So we haven't offered a CEU class in a couple of years. It's not worth the time to set them up.

In the olden days before the "new" curriculum (and when *are* they updating that new curriculum anyways?), the way to recert was by taking a test. And we (speaking as techs overall, not just locally) had a dismal recert rate. No one wanted to take the time to take the test and 80% was needed to pass. Lots of people have test anxiety and knowing that they had to get 100% would make it so they didn't certify in the first place. ESL people especially have problems with the English tests. We've had several fail, but when asked the questions orally, they pass.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think a short quiz that you could take as many times as needed, but couldn't recert until you passed, would be that bad.

Like, if you get 5 questions wrong, you get the correct answers, 24 hours later, you can re-try, or something?

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I don't think a short quiz that you could take as many times as needed, but couldn't recert until you passed, would be that bad.

Like, if you get 5 questions wrong, you get the correct answers, 24 hours later, you can re-try, or something?

I like this idea!

I have refused to sign off on seat checks before, even though the technical knowledge was correct because there was no discussion, incorrect or old information given on best practice. I told the tech that they needed to sign up for the upcoming refresher course or do some research and email me what she found before I would sign off.

lukensophie

Senior Community Member

That is exactly how it is in my area, and unfortunately, my certification is going to expire next month because I can't get seats checked off. Very few checks in this area are open to volunteers. If they are, the LE personnel or FFs get the first crack at a seat because they "have to" get seats signed off for their jobs. Quite frankly, I've done what I can in my four years as a tech. I have three kids that require a lot of attention and I've kept them safe. I've done what I can do and maybe it's time for me to move on to volunteering elsewhere. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That is exactly how it is in my area, and unfortunately, my certification is going to expire next month because I can't get seats checked off. Very few checks in this area are open to volunteers. If they are, the LE personnel or FFs get the first crack at a seat because they "have to" get seats signed off for their jobs. Quite frankly, I've done what I can in my four years as a tech. I have three kids that require a lot of attention and I've kept them safe. I've done what I can do and maybe it's time for me to move on to volunteering elsewhere. :(

Have you contacted any Instructors to set up a separate time to meet? Maybe one in a city a little further away but that you visit once in a while? Around here, almost everyone has to meet with an Instructor separately because there just aren't enough check events to get everyone signed off who wants to re-cert.

luckyclov

Have you contacted any Instructors to set up a separate time to meet? Maybe one in a city a little further away but that you visit once in a while? Around here, almost everyone has to meet with an Instructor separately because there just aren't enough check events to get everyone signed off who wants to re-cert.
That...and have you searched for a tech proxy that you might be able to meet up with?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC