ProSport, Nautilus, RXT and no tether

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Of these seats, which would you be most comfortable using with a seatbelt install with no tether?

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Is it a lap belt? Or lap/shoulder? If it's lap/shoulder, I would do the ProSport with LBP.

Reactions: Kac

Carrie_R

I concur with Kay... if there's a lap-shoulder belt I'd go ProSport. We know it's designed to be used without tether above a certain weight, but at that weight it's required to have the shoulder belt as well. If there's a lap-only, I refuse to comment... except to say whichever has the higher belt path. :p

(Also, FWIW, the ProSport only has one belt path -- unlike Britax where you can choose short or long, your only option is the over-the-front/serpentine install with the ProSport.)

jeminijad

Definitely the Prosport. I did my own super unscientific yank test and I couldn't pull my Prosport forward much at all when yanking on the top of the seat, but the Radian did pull forward quite a bit. Never tried it with the Nautilus.

Not that it means a hell of a lot, but a lot of this stuff just does not have high quality evidence available.

Kac

I forgot to add that I need two. I have a Nautilus installed FF outboard with lap/shoulder and the RXT installed middle with the lap belt.

Carrie- why the higher belt path for the lap belt? Would it be better to have a seat outboard with lap/shoulder.

Carrie_R

Can the child in the RXT go RF? Regardless of age, if a child must go without a tether I'd rather see them RF.

If so, I'd do ProSport outboard and RXT RF in center.

I'm not sure what the difference is in safety difference, tether vs. outboard. I *think* I recall Pixels making the point that there's more of a safety difference being outboard vs. not having a tether (I want to say the numbers are 28% vs. 40% safer, but I could completely be making that up.) Having a seat with a serpentine belt path (ProSport, F85 w/LBP) will help to reduce head excursion, as discussed in the LATCH manual. Plus, center kids have less to hit their heads on, assuming the front seat is two buckets.

As far as the belt path being higher up -- it's my thinking that a point of attachment higher up on the seat will help with movement at the top of the seat, but you know, I can't recall where I came up with that so I'm gonna guess it's not scientific and probably should be ignored. Hence my initial stance of refusing to comment, lol. Things like that get into a real grey area where we have no studies and therefore it's me, as caregiver, standing at my vehicle going "Which one do I FEEL is safer?" Know what I mean?

Kac

My lap/shoulder belts lock at the latch plate, so technically the shoulder part of the seatbelt is still able to move. (Not sure if that makes sense).

I have a Nautilus and RXT, but since all of my kiddos are FFing, I feel like I would be better off with a FFing combination seat that my favorite RXT. I don't know though.

jjordan

My lap/shoulder belts lock at the latch plate, so technically the shoulder part of the seatbelt is still able to move. (Not sure if that makes sense).

I have a Nautilus and RXT, but since all of my kiddos are FFing, I feel like I would be better off with a FFing combination seat that my favorite RXT. I don't know though.

The shoulder part should lock (ELR) in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC