Don't you just wish...

mamamia

there was a way to educate pediatricians on car seat issues?

DD2 turned 2, and we went for her check-up. Walked in with doctor from parking lot. She noticed her rear-facing and said that she should be FF since there is no benefit to being RFing at this age. I played kind of dumb and said, "Oh, I didn't realize that. I read the 2002 AAP recommendations and they encouraged keeping her RR til the max weight of the car seat, so I figured that was what we should do." Then she proceeds to tell me that most convertibles have a 22 lb rear-facing limit. When I told her that our seat has a 33 lb limit, she said "Well, I guess it can't hurt her being backwards if she doesn't mind."

Believe me- I know that pediatricians have a lot of stuff to stay current on, and go to meetings, have CME requirements, etc., and who knows what the answer is, but I still wish parents got more up to date info because they tend to really trust the pediatricians for guidance on car seat issues.

vent over :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oooh, you are so clever! Really got her to think about it in a non-confrontational way. Good grief, seats have been rf to 30+ pounds for so many years now, how could she have missed that?

One month to go, how are you feeling?

mamamia

Well I am a counselor by training, so I am good at the "non-confrontational" approach :)

I feel pretty good, but can't wait for the pregnancy to be over. I can't beleive I could have number 3 in as little as 2 weeks though. I guess I should thing about getting the snugride out of storage and washing the cover...

Robert

CPST Instructor
There is a way to educate pediatricians. At a local hospital in Northern Illinois, I had heard of pediatricians telling parents they could turn their infants forward as soon as they reached 20 pounds regardless of age. Myself and another technician/instructor managed to get placed on the pediatricians agenda at their meeting. It worked out great, in fact we found most the pediatricians were on board with the recommendation.

Hope this helps.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've heard of other techs hosting "lunch n learn" sessions for peds offices. They had lunch donated by a local restaurant, and followed up with a seat check at the office for the doctor's patients the following Saturday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC