Carkoon - anyone else see this article?

mommycat

Looks interesting, though a lot of testing left to go. I see potential issues with baby's arms getting in the way, etc. that they will need to evaluate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...r-seat-protects-baby-in-protective-shell.html

New car seat protects baby in protective shell

British engineers have unveiled a protective car seat that cocoons a baby in a protective shell in the event of an accident.

(... read more through the link.)

Here's their website:
http://www.carkoon.com/carkoon®-when-safe-just-not-safe-enough
They have a photo and video gallery.

ADS

Brianna

Interesting for sure... I do like that the airbag will stay inflated to help protect against projectiles. Only a 3 point harness though?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The link is taking me to a different page than it did earlier, and now I can't find the info I was looking for.

But it said something about cocooning the kid yet still providing plenty of fresh air. Then it also said something about keeping a kid safe in a fire for 20 minutes. So which does it do, because it can't do both. Either it completely seals off, meaning there is a limited air supply, or it doesn't seal off, meaning the kid dies of smoke inhalation.

What triggers the airbag to deploy? Is it reusable? What if you drop it? Will the airbag deploy and then be useless?

Interesting idea, but I'm not convinced.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I didn't see the fire info, but yeah, you are right, that would not work.

ETA:

Features include being fireproof - providing a trapped child with up to 20 minutes of air and insulating it from a blaze.

Brianna

The first link is to an article about the seat, and it says
"Features include being fireproof - providing a trapped child with up to 20 minutes of air and insulating it from a blaze."
"The Carkoon's main feature is an airbag that folds out on impact, enveloping the child in the seat and protecting it from head to toe while leaving plenty of breathing space."

The second link is to their website.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I have all kinds of comments, but I should be working so right now I'll just say ... interesting.

(That does bring to mind another car seat mentioned at - Lifesavers? ABC? - a couple of years ago that we haven't seen on the market yet. Wish I could remember what it was. It was a harnessed seat - maybe FF-only - that was a little different. Hmm. What was it.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So the airbag seals the seat, and there is 20 minutes of air inside?

Imagine this: Mom and baby in the car. Mom goes off the side of the road and crashes. Car-seat airbag deploys. Mom dies from impact. Car doesn't catch on fire, but baby is now trapped inside the device. No one finds the car for an hour, and baby is now dead from suffocation.

No thanks.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

Imagine this: Mom and baby in the car. Mom goes off the side of the road and crashes. Car-seat airbag deploys. Mom dies from impact. Car doesn't catch on fire, but baby is now trapped inside the device. No one finds the car for an hour, and baby is now dead from suffocation.

No thanks.

I see gaps.

Brianna

No thanks.

EBT stands for Emergency Beacon Transmitter. In the event of an accident, the EBT sends a message to the emergency services alerting them to the situation, and that there is a baby on board, giving them your exact GPS coordinates so they can find you quickly and easily.

:shrug-shoulders:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Presuming you're in an easily reached location, there are responders nearby, and they can easily get into the car.

And is there an override for the emergency beacon? I can envision someone installing the seat and dropping it. Suddenly they have an airbag covering the seat and EMS personnel rushing to the scene.

Keeping an open mind though...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, just talked to DH about it. Kevlar is used for bullet-proof vests, not fire protection. Nomex is a variation that is fire-resistant, but not fireproof. If you're wrapped in a Nomex cocoon in a vehicle fire, you'll die pretty quickly. It might ward off flames, but not heat, which will kill you pretty fast.

jeminijad

So...

With what frequency to kids die of smoke inhalation or burning to death post collision? Or of secondary projectiles striking them.

Clearly it is horrific when it does happen. But I would need to see some kind of mechanism for ventilation if the device deploys and there is no fire.

mamom

Also where is the room for infants legs, they don't stay inside the shell all that long then what kind of damage would they do to kiddo? Great idea in theory, just not practical.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
you know those people who say us car seat nuts are paranoid freaks that just want to wrap our kids up in bubble wrap...yeah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC