Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Teaching people about car safety quickly and easily

So I go to a moms group that is about 20 women. Next week we all need to share a tip with everyone. Well since we now live in FL where there are basically no car seat laws I thought it would be helpful to share some safety guidelines. What do you think is the most important points to touch on? I know a lot of info, but don't want it to be too confusing. I thought I would make up a small paper of important points people can reference. This has to be quick and easy to present, but I also want it to potentially save a life.
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Teaching people about car safety quickly and easily

Less than 1" of movement with installations.
    Straps at or above for FF and at or below RF.
    Pass the Pinch Test.
    4 & 40 to booster.

I would avoid ERF (maybe mention until age 2 but not more mention unless asked).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Caleb 11 yrs. 70lbs. 55" 5-steps Megan 8.5 yrs. 45lbs. 48" Harmony Literider
    Grace 6 yrs. 40lbs. 42" Nautilus
    Cameron 4 yrs. 34lb. 39" Radian XTSL
    Sally born 4/28 SR35, Zach born 4/28 Combi Coccoro

I would do the NHTSA 4 steps for kids, stressing best practices, briefly mentioning that the legal minimum is pathetic.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

I know there are pamphlets you can print out maybe you could hand something out too? Briefly mention about proper install, how safe RFing is and how kids must be mature enough to stay in position to ride in a booster, then they can read further on their own--

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

If you're each asked to share 'a tip'...that's what I'd do. Don't take it as an opportunity to present a small class or jam in as much info as possible.

The tips lorismurph posted, those are great. Pick ONE, and you can expound on it a little.

i.e. Harnesses should be 'snug as a hug'. You can tell if your child's car seat harness is snug enough by doing the pinch test. If you can pinch slack in the harness at the child's shoulder, the harness is too loose. Too loose means less safe.

Something like that.

If you want to go into CPS more in depth, ask the mom's group leaders if you can do CPS one day...asking everyone to come with a car seat question or something. If you don't think you have the knowledge to answer, see if you can find a tech who is to join you.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Senior Community Member VoodooChile's Avatar

If you do activities with the group, I'd pick the most common CPS "oops" you see, and focus on that. Do most people turn ff at 1 (or a little before)? Maybe your tip is ERF. Backless boosters at 3? Maybe booster-readiness is a better tip for this crowd. Lots of older (but nowhere near teenage) siblings in the front seat? Etc. I guess that's what I'd probably try to do (if possible) is try to tailor it to the specific group, if you've been around them and seen their vehicles/setups a few times.
    Dd 10/2005--Incognito
    Ds 3/2009--Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro, Clek Oobr

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooChile
    If you do activities with the group, I'd pick the most common CPS "oops" you see, and focus on that. Do most people turn ff at 1 (or a little before)? Maybe your tip is ERF. Backless boosters at 3? Maybe booster-readiness is a better tip for this crowd. Lots of older (but nowhere near teenage) siblings in the front seat? Etc. I guess that's what I'd probably try to do (if possible) is try to tailor it to the specific group, if you've been around them and seen their vehicles/setups a few times.
    You name it, they do it here, that's why I think I really need to do this! It's really bad here.
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.