Does anyone use the Myride preston/resa for an infant? We're having fit issues...

rae1026

I bought a Preston myride before DD was born when they went on sale at Target. I couldn't pass up $100 for a highly recommended seat! We've been using a KF 30 so far, but we want to transition her to a convertible (she'll be 5 months on Thursday). Here is the seat I have:
13478079.jpeg

The problem is, I tried her in the seat a few days ago, and I don't think it's going to work (at least for now). If I leave the head padding in, her head is squished. If I take it out, it seems like she's swimming in the seat. The same thing happens with the support cushion under her body. Her hips are squished if it's in, but if I take it out, the crotch strap is way too far from her body and the fit is not good.

Is this a common problem? I know the original myrides had completely different infant padding (and now I'm kind of regretting not going with one of those). But has anyone been able to make a Preston/Resa myride work for an infant? I know I could put a rolled up washcloth or something between her and the crotch strap, but I'd rather not fool around with that every time I have to put her in the car, KWIM? Is there any hope for me using the seat right now, or should I just store it until she's a little older? Thanks!

ADS

T4K

The crotch strap is just a long ways down. Even on my 16 month old. I started her in the MyRide around 8ish months without any inserts. I occasionally still use the head one when we will be traveling long distances but the hip bolsters never really worked well for her. They are really cushy though so I wouldn't worry about her feeling squished.

I would give it maybe a couple more months. They change so much at this stage!

It's still one of my favorites seats for my little one.

stephpook

My almost 6-month old has been in a Resa My Ride (we got it during the Target $100 sale last October) from birth. The infant padding was a huge help when she was really little but I'm pretty sure it actually made her uncomfortable after awhile. We took out the hip padding after about 3 months and the head padding after about 4 or 5. I know the crotch strap sitting so far out is an issue for some people, but I've never really had a problem with it. I don't feel like she slumps down in the seat and I can get a snug fit with the straps even though the crotch strap isn't right up against her body. And surprisingly, she doesn't have an issue with head slump when she sleeps (which was my greatest fear and the reason I left the head support in for so long) even with the width of the seat.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have had similar concerns in theory, but found that they were not really an issue in practice. Does that make any sense at all?

rae1026

Thanks for the replies! I guess I may have been too quick to judge the seat. I only tried it in the house--it wasn't actually installed in the car when I put her in it. I'll have to give it a try on some shorter trips and see how she does. Thanks for giving me some hope that it will work for us. I'm really hoping to like this seat!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The point of a crotch roll/close crotch strap is to maintain proper posture until the airway and surrounding musculature matures and avoid hypoxia (lack of oxygen) from the tiny airway (about the width of a drinking straw in newborns) getting kinked. Unless your 5 month old has low tone or other issues that cause airway issues, a little slumping toward the crotch strap is completely fine.

rae1026

Thank you for clearing that up for me, safeinthecar! I thought it was always important for the crotch strap to be right against the child, no matter the age. I didn't realize it was only important for newbies. My daughter is perfectly healthy, so she should be just fine. Now I'm really excited to get this seat in the car and give it a try. Maybe it will even stop her from screaming on every car ride, the way she does in her kf30!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC