Safest way to transport new car seat?

Ellie173

I need some advise... Today I got 2 new car seats for my nanny kid, one for the parents and one for fill in sitters (I have my own seat I use for him). Tomorrow I need to bring at least one up to their house, but the boxes don't even come close to fitting in my trunk. So in my car I will need to have N's car seat and the new car seat, preferably in the box so the parents can easily return it if they would rather something else. So is there a safe way to fit a massive box and a kid in my small backseat? Or should I get out of class, run up and drop the box off, come back downtown, pick up the kid, and go back up the mountain where they live? I figure it is hopeless to bring both seats and kid up at once.

I hate to ask them to pick it up from me since it has been a long road just getting them to replace their old seats, I am trying not to inconvenience them at all. The seats are Nautiluses so they are heavy. And the box doesn't fit in my passenger seat without being partially on the gear shift.

Thanks!

ADS

momtotwogirls

Could you take the other seat out and strap it in the back seat(not fully installed but buckled so it doesnt fly around then break down the box and put it in the trunk. they could always tape the box back together if they want to return it.

Ellie173

If I do that should I go ahead and put it together (not sure if the new ones are like the old ones where you had to put the headrest on)? He would be so excited to see a green seat that he might not want to sit in his own.

Also is it wrong to switch the covers so I have a nice green seat for my car? It would go well with the crazy turbo booster that is back there (blue on the bottom, red on top). The parents sent me out to buy whatever I was most comfortable with so I can't imagine a cover bothering them.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It would only be wrong to switch the covers if the parents are going to return it to the store.

I would transport the new car seat, box and all if possible, in the front seat of your car with the seat belt around it. Depending on the box it might hinder your visibility, though.

I transport spare car seats in my front seat all the time, either more or less installed (not rock solid, but belt through path and locked) or with a seat belt just around it and locked to hold it in place.

This might also give you the possibility of transporting both seats at once; one in the back seat and one in the front seat. If the broken down boxes won't fit easily into your trunk, just leave them at home and deal with getting the boxes to them later if a return becomes necessary.

ahgirls

Brigala said:
I transport spare car seats in my front seat all the time, either more or less installed (not rock solid, but belt through path and locked) or with a seat belt just around it and locked to hold it in place.

:yeahthat:
It feels weird to have a car seat in front but it works.

Ellie173

Update:
I can't fit it in the front seat and drive with the door closed. Looks like I will take it out of the box. I would leave it in the box in the back but the belt won't even fit around half of it.

Thanks for the help! I hope they love their new seat and don't have a need to return it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC