CHEAPEST 3-across options for '99 Honda Civic?

kadora

"Cheap" is the operative word here. ;) I've been doing a lot of researching the whole 3-across dilemma and absolutely everything involves a Radian, which we cannot afford right now for hubby's car, since we really won't need to put all 3 kids in there very often at all. I don't mind switching the seats from the van to the Civic, but then what we already have would have to work, and there's no way it will. Here's what we have:

3.5 yr old, 42"? tall, 35 lbs, currently in her new Graco Nautilus, FF
11 mo old, 20 lbs, currently RF in a Graco MyRide 65
Newborn due in June, Keyfit 30

Any suggestions besides never haul around all 3 kiddos? :D

ADS

jjordan

Maybe a Ride Safer Travel Vest for the 3.5 year old, and maybe a scenera for the 11 month old? The RSTV is over $100 though, so not exactly cheap.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Honda Civic is a really super tight back seat for 3 across. I've never had any luck with inexpensive options. You could perhaps try a Guide 65 seat ($79 at Walmart), your Keyfit, and a Ride Safer Travel Vest. Do you have a lap/shoulder belt in the center? If not, you'd need to also install a top tether anchor retrofit in order to use the RSTV in the center (I would be surprised if you can get both car seats in next to each other).

It's possible that two Guide 65s and the Keyfit *might* work. You'd just have to try and find out.

The Guide 65 is exactly the same size and shape as the Easy Fit available at Babies R Us. So you could try that one on for size at BRU to see how it works for you. The Easy Fit has a higher trim level and costs $20 more, though.

kadora

Do you need 2 sets of seats or just seats you juse in both vehicles?

No, like I said, I'd be willing to switch back and forth but what we have already won't fit. :(

The Honda Civic is a really super tight back seat for 3 across. I've never had any luck with inexpensive options. You could perhaps try a Guide 65 seat ($79 at Walmart), your Keyfit, and a Ride Safer Travel Vest. Do you have a lap/shoulder belt in the center? If not, you'd need to also install a top tether anchor retrofit in order to use the RSTV in the center (I would be surprised if you can get both car seats in next to each other).

It's possible that two Guide 65s and the Keyfit *might* work. You'd just have to try and find out.

The Guide 65 is exactly the same size and shape as the Easy Fit available at Babies R Us. So you could try that one on for size at BRU to see how it works for you. The Easy Fit has a higher trim level and costs $20 more, though.

Thanks for the tip! I looked up the Guide 65s on BRU and a lot of the reviews say it's not good for RF...have you ever used one IRL? Both DH and I are tall (6', 6'4") so somehow we have to fit into the driver's seat, too! :eek:

Brianna

If you put the MyRide RF in the middle and the Nautilus outboard, will you have room left for a small seat like Scenera or Tribute?

I don't think a 99 Civic would have come with top tethers from the factory- have you had one retrofitted yet?

Dmcj13

No, like I said, I'd be willing to switch back and forth but what we have already won't fit. :(

Thanks for the tip! I looked up the Guide 65s on BRU and a lot of the reviews say it's not good for RF...have you ever used one IRL? Both DH and I are tall (6', 6'4") so somehow we have to fit into the driver's seat, too! :eek:

It installs just fine for rear facing if you use a tightly rolled towel or a couple pool noodles in the seat bight.

hrice

What about a Maestro center with the Keyfit and Myride outboard? You may need to do a baseless install with the Keyfit. It may even work better with the Maestro outboard, Keyfit center and Myride outbord. The Myride puzzles nicely with other seats when they are both RF.

When baby outgrows the Keyfit you could get a Scenera and install it center with the Myride outboard (still RF for the toddler) and Maestro outboard.

If the Myride just doesn't work in the mix it might work with a Maestro center and Scenera and Keyfit outboard.

Sorry for the rambling. I am thinking outloud. :D

Are you near a Babies R Us?

glockchick

I have an '01 Civic. The only 3 across I've ever been able to fit in it is 3 radians. Sorry.

On the upside, they'll fit in any rf/ff combo you need them to. :eek:

kadora

What about a Maestro center with the Keyfit and Myride outboard? You may need to do a baseless install with the Keyfit. It may even work better with the Maestro outboard, Keyfit center and Myride outbord. The Myride puzzles nicely with other seats when they are both RF.

When baby outgrows the Keyfit you could get a Scenera and install it center with the Myride outboard (still RF for the toddler) and Maestro outboard.

If the Myride just doesn't work in the mix it might work with a Maestro center and Scenera and Keyfit outboard.

Sorry for the rambling. I am thinking outloud. :D

Are you near a Babies R Us?

No, I'm not. :( I'm about 45 min. from a really small TRU, but they don't carry much. I haven't looked at carseats lately, though. Are the Maestro and Scenera comparable to the Radian for narrowness? Thanks for all the help!

I have an '01 Civic. The only 3 across I've ever been able to fit in it is 3 radians. Sorry.

On the upside, they'll fit in any rf/ff combo you need them to. :eek:

That's what I'm afraid of. Is that including infant car seats, too?

glockchick

I know the Maestro doesn't work with an infant seat and a booster.

You might be able to do a narrow infant seat and 2 Radians. Something like the Keyfit. I no longer have Radians so I can't try with what I've got. It's snug with even the narrowest stuff though.

My youngest is 4, but I do have a couple of infant seats for demos, Evenflo discovery 5 and graco snug ride. I haven't' been able to get either of them next to the Maestro. I haven't tried taken the cup holders off the Maestro and trying, but I don't think it would make enough of a difference. It's the seat bolsters on the side that create the problem. You lose a good 4 inches on each side because they push car seats to the middle.

christineka

Okay, I'm dumb but I blame it on being sleep-deprived... :D What do you mean by top tether anchors? What will that do for me? Is that expensive in itself? Thanks!

Top tether anchors are highly recommended for forward facing car seats. If you have a lap-only belt in the spot for the rstv (I don't know what kind of belt is in the middle of a '99 civic.) it must be top tethered. You can get the anchors and put them in yourself because civics are easy that way:) I don't know how much they cost.

kadora

Top tether anchors are highly recommended for forward facing car seats. If you have a lap-only belt in the spot for the rstv (I don't know what kind of belt is in the middle of a '99 civic.) it must be top tethered. You can get the anchors and put them in yourself because civics are easy that way:) I don't know how much they cost.

Ok, thank you! That makes sense...but now I have another question! I know you said you didn't know how much they were, but do you know where you buy them? Do stores carry them or is it something you have to order online? Sorry, I'd just try to figure it out myself but I really don't trust my brain and I'd end up with totally the wrong thing!

hrice

Ok, thank you! That makes sense...but now I have another question! I know you said you didn't know how much they were, but do you know where you buy them? Do stores carry them or is it something you have to order online? Sorry, I'd just try to figure it out myself but I really don't trust my brain and I'd end up with totally the wrong thing!

You get them at the dealer. Someone here can get you a part number to reference when you call. I don't have my manual handy.

amyd

kadora said:

You get then from the Honda dealership. I'm out of town and away from my LATCH manual but someone else can give you the part number.

kadora

You get them at the dealer. Someone here can get you a part number to reference when you call. I don't have my manual handy.

You get then from the Honda dealership. I'm out of town and away from my LATCH manual but someone else can give you the part number.

Thank you, ladies! I think I'll make that a job for DH. ;) If I end up having to go the Radian route, what's the absolute cheapest I can find one? I read somewhere about buying them from Kohls when they have their BOGO sale, plus coupon, etc....which I think I just missed. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC