Question Convertable Seat for Prius

luvtaread

Hi, I am new to the website and I wondered if anyone knew whether the Diono Radian RXT or the Recaro Proride will fit in a 2011 Prius REAR facing?
also which one do you like better?
and what about rear tethering?
Thanks

ADS

creideamh

I have a 2006 Prius. The Radian will fit, but you'll need an angle adjuster so it doesn't touch the front seats.
I also have a Recaro Como, I believe same shell as the ProRide, and it fits fine, but the Recaro seats don't have a lot of leg room RFing. I prefer the Radian because it has a lower profile (easier to lift kids in/out), and my DD doesn't like her legs squished.

The Radian allows RF tethering, the ProRide does not. You can loop the strap that comes with the Radian around the front seat track and hook the tether onto the strap.

HTH! The Prius is actually great front-to-back, but difficult side-to-side (3 across!)

mrosehughes

I have a 2007 prius and echo what the PP said about the radian. It's great with the angle adjuster. It will fit outboard passenger side without one, but you won't be able to have a passenger in the front (unless they're very very short).

luvtaread

Thanks to both PP that is great info. I also read about rear facing seats being braced against the seat in front of it. Is this something that should be done or no?
I plan to tether to the floor and read a website where it states that bracing is beneficial but I thought it was bad and could break the seat?
Also if you know about tethering - when you tether are you supposed to anchor it to the left or right bottom side of the seat? will it make a difference?
I am afraid that if I anchor it to the left side it will rotate the CS towards the window in a crash?
Thanks so much for the info - I have never used a rear facing seat that wasn't a infant carrier and am trying to learn as much as I can before putting the child into the seat (she's 11 months btw if it helps)

creideamh

Sunshine Kids/Diono allows bracing and RF tethering (so they've tested it and verified that it does not break their seats.) However, Toyota forbids bracing with their advanced airbag cars (2006ish and later.) My manual specifically forbids bracing on both front seats, however, I've heard some of the newer manuals only prohibit it on the passenger seat (so driver's side bracing would be ok.) You'll have to check your manual- it will be in the airbags section, under one of the many warnings :)

It doesn't matter which track you tether to. You're not trying to get it so tight that it'll yank the seat down, you just want the extra slack out so the seat doesn't rebound as much to the back of the auto seat. The ONLY place movement matters is at the belt path, and that should be less than 1" side-to-side.

luvtaread

Thanks a bunch - again!
I actually had to call Toyota because the manual didn't say one way or another about bracing. They ended up telling me that as long as it was touching and not bracing the CS they didn't think it would affect the air bags but I should check with the Highway Patrol or Fire Dept. to be sure - which I was planning on anyways.

creideamh

Good! (Usually the manual says something about nothing touching the back of the front seats, not about bracing a car seat. At least, that's what mine says.) I've tested it before, having a kid RF and have the Radian brace against the passenger seat (with no one in it), and I can see how it messes with the airbag sensor.

Usually when there's no one in the passenger seat the airbag light doesn't light up at all; when there's a kid in the front seat (or a lightweight object, etc), it will light up but say "OFF", and when there's an adult, it will light up and say "ON". So I braced the Radian, put a kid in the Radian, and watched as the sensor thought there was weight in the seat and it lit up and went to "OFF". That's bad, and it made me realise that it DOES matter (I didn't really believe it before.) Toyota put their sensors all over the place, including the seatbacks. :(

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Creideamh is right to be extra concerned about touching/bracing in the OP's Prius. I just noticed the OP's Prius is a 2011 and the owner's manual does warn against touching the front seatbacks with a carseat due to the sensors for the advanced front airbags (I also have a 2011 Prius :)). The warning blurb is buried somewhat and easily overlooked. :eek: I posted a link to the 2011 Prius' online owner's manual and the pertinent quote from the airbag section of the owner's manual in the OP's other related thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=2230563#post2230563

luvtaread

Hi all thanks for the great replies - I will NOT be bracing or touch the front seats just to be safe. Thanks for that info. Now I wonder - do any of you that have Prius' need a towel or noodle to adjust the Radian? I just saw that they have the Sit Rite and wondered if I would need it or not.

EmmaGrace'sMom

You will not need pool noodles with a Radian, they are over reclined if anything. You will need the Diono Angle Adjuster to keep the Radian from touching the front seat. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Diono-60320-Radian-Angle-Adjuster/dp/B006I1QTYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334234478&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Diono Radian Angle Adjuster: Baby[/ame]

creideamh

Exactly what EmmaGrace'sMom said. You're also not allowed to use a noodle/towel with the Radian, because it has the RF boot. Diono sells a lot of accessories (unfortunately.) The only one you'll need is the angle adjuster.

luvtaread

Alright - no Diono noodle - I didn't realize it had a boot (although as I type this I remember seeing it on the installation video), thanks! My radian is scheduled to be delivered on Monday, so excited!! Thanks so much for all your help and I think I'll just stay off of the Diono website for now ;)

L

Ladiebuggz

Has anyone put the Diono Radian RXT in the middle seat of the Prius with the angle adjuster? If so, did it fit and did it seem as though there was room for people to sit in the outboard seats? I think I want to order one but am worried about it fitting!

aept

creideamh said:
Yup, it fits just fine, and yes, there's room for adults to sit outboard (not huge adults, but average size.)

Agreed. I fit and I am 5'6" and wear a size 12/14. It took me some extra practice to get it in tightly enough with the angle adjuster as I had never used one before in my other vehicles/installs.

KaiLing

Yup, it fits just fine, and yes, there's room for adults to sit outboard (not huge adults, but average size.)

My 6'9" husband (who's neither overweight nor skinny) can and does sit next to a radian with an angle adjuster if the radian's in the middle of my mom's 2011 (2010? I forget) Prius. He prefers it to the front seat (where he doesn't fit if there are no car seats in the car).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC