Car Seat Cover Toxicity

StillThankful

Have any of you read this article?
http://green.yourway.net/car-seats-non-toxic-and-safe/

Best Overall Child Car Seat: Graco Turbo Booster (in Anders)

Worst Overall Child Car Seat: Recaro Pro Booster (in Blue Opal)

Most Toxic 2011 Car Seats:
Infant Seat: Graco Snugride 35 in Edgemont Red/Black & Graco SnugRide 30 in Asprey
Convertible Seat: Britax Marathon 70 in Jet Set & Britax Marathon in Platinum
Booster Seat: Recaro Pro Booster in Blue Opal & Recaro ProSPORT Toddler in Misty

Least Toxic 2011 Car Seats:
Infant Seat: Chicco KeyFit 30 in Limonata, Graco Snugride 35 in Laguna Bay & Combi Shuttle 33 in Cranberry Noche
Convertible Carseat: Graco Comfort Sport in Caleo, Graco MyRide 65 in Chandler and Streamer, Safety 1st OnSide Air in Clearwater, and Graco Nautilus Elite 3-in-1 in Gabe
Booster Seat: Graco Turbo Booster in Anders

What are you thoughts on this?

ADS

tam_shops

Same if not worse chemicals in your kids loose fitting Pjs.

And, I thought I read something here recently that said several companies were phasing out the different chemicals...

tam

Last edited:

Syllieann

I recently read Orbit and Britax have a pledge to be free of the bad one - a bromine based fire retardant IIRC. Carseatblog did a good job of putting it in perspective. I do make a point not to use an infant seat for extended periods of time when it's not actually in the car.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There are things you can do to help, too. Wash the cover to remove excess chemicals. Vacuum it out regularly to remove chemical-laden dust. In hot weather when the chemicals are likely to off-gas, air the car out for a few minutes.

Orbit and Cybex claim to use less-harmful chemicals, and some others might, too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Orbit has developed wool-based naturally retardant fabric that's available on some of their seats, and they do not use several of the most-toxic chemicals. They're Oexo-Tek certified, and have been for several years at least...

That said, I'm not really that worried about it. If I was, I'd wash seat covers several times before using and figure there was probably not much left.

mlohry

Well my MA70 cover should be nice and chemical free as my DD keeps peeing in her seat and I keep having to wash it! :)

Ok, so I'm a pretty crunchy, chemical-phobic mama. I absolutely hate the fact that there are toxic flame retardants in mattresses, furniture, and pajamas. To me, that is completely unnecessary and needlessly exposing our sweet children and ourselves to harmful chemicals. Because let's face it, if our house catches on fire at night (unless it's caused by smoking in bed), any deaths would be due to smoke inhalation, and having fireproof pajamas and mattress will do nothing to protect us or our children.

The one and only place I think the benefits of fire retardants outweigh the risks is in my car. I think it's great that some companies are doing it without harmful chemicals, and I truly hope that trend continues until most, if not all seats are protected with the safe chemicals. Right now my son doesn't spend enough time in his seat for me to worry about it, but in the future it will be something to consider when purchasing car seats.

MorgieBear'sMama

I haven't read the article, but I totally agree with the blue Opal proride being mist toxic. Poor Colton has big blisters on the back of both of his legs because of it.

Ashley- Mom to Morgan 2/25/04 riding in SK Monterey and Clek Olli, Jackson and Colton 11/1/10 riding in Diono R120's and Recaro ProRIDE's

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC