Question 3 Across in a Prius

U

Unregistered

I need to fit 2 FF and 1 RF in the back of my Prius for a road trip. The possible car seats in play are: 2 Britax Marathons, 1 Boulevard, 1 Frontier, 1 Advocate. I know i could buy 2 Radians and use the Frontier, but i'm trying to save the money if possible! Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

Unfortunately, 3 Britax seats just won't work in a Prius. I know some people have said Britax and Radian puzzle together when going the same direction, but that just hasn't been true for me in the Prius (although I have a headwing Radian, so it very well could be possible with a non-headwing version.)

I would put a Radian RF, Radian FF (non-headwing), and a Marathon/Boulevard FF. There's no way a Radian will fit next to a Frontier in the Prius- they hit each other in all the wrong places and there's just no extra space.

Good luck!! :)

U

Unregistered

Thank you for your response! I thought i read here that someone did 2 Radians and a Frontier, but that isn't a big deal because it seems we still require the 2 Radians :-( I was really hoping we could make something work because of only having one RF!

U

Unregistered

Would the Ride Safer Travel Vest be an option in the middle? The oldest FF is 4, ~35lbs.

aept

I'm not even sure two radians and a frontier would fit. I have a Prius and I own that combo of seats. I just can't imagine it working. 3 radians should. That makes for a pretty expensive road trip, though.
How about two ride safer travel vests and a seat you already own rf? Still pricey at around $200 but it sure beats buying 2-3 radians. Plus the vests store so compactly they might come in handy for other traveling adventures?

creideamh

I thought about mentioning the vests, but "road trip" sounds long... none of my kids thought they were exceptionally comfy. A good option, though, depending on your kids :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

aept

creideamh said:
I thought about mentioning the vests, but "road trip" sounds long... none of my kids thought they were exceptionally comfy. A good option, though, depending on your kids :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Good point.
OP, how long is your trip and is it really just a one-time thing? Can you rent a bigger vehicle and use your existing seats? That might be money well spent. Depending on the kids' temperaments you might want more space! I know mine get a bit "physical" in our Prius in a 3-across, (to put it nicely.)

JamieD

We are driving NY to FL round trip! Renting a van is 4 x what a normal car would cost (about $100 / day vs. $25), flights are outrageous right now (plus we'd need to rent a car and worry about car seats once there). Not sure what to do! At least we'd have the Radians for awhile.

Are the Cosco Sceneras as skinny as the Radian?

JamieD

I also called Britax today but they were really no help :-( I didn't realize the Frontier had a wider base than the Boulevard and Marathon, though. I thought it was skinnier!

aept

JamieD said:
I also called Britax today but they were really no help :-( I didn't realize the Frontier had a wider base than the Boulevard and Marathon, though. I thought it was skinnier!

Yeah, I would describe the frontier as being "boxy" in shape. It is wide from top to base. The marathon (and similar-shaped seats) are also about as wide at their widest flared out area of the shell, but sit atop a more narrow base.

There is a great resource right on this forum. Find the heading "carseat features and data" and there are threads for each type of seat and it's basic measurements.

I know in my Prius 3-across, I have a ff radian drivers side, rf radian middle, and then I tried to fit a evenflo secure kid on the passenger side (a combination seat similar to, but more narrow than the frontier) and the door of the car wouldn't even close.
I think a third radian would fit, or a high back booster (our parkway SGL fits but has to be buckled by an adult), but I am assuming you need a harnessed seat.

A scenera is not more narrow than a radian, but might work as one of the seats. Maybe the complete air is narrow enough?

Also, how old/big is the rf child or the smaller ff child? If they are little enough, a Combi Cocorro might work for one or both of those children and it's really narrow.

creideamh

^ I have gotten a Complete Air FF driver's outboard next to a RF Radian... I think... I have a picture somewhere but can't seem to find it now. It took a lot of cursing and hard work. 3 Radians (FF, RF, FF) would fit and is really the easiest solution.

It's less about the stated width than it is with how well seats puzzle. Example: the Turbobooster is narrow on paper, but I could never get it to fit- however, I can fit a Probooster, which is technically wider.

Echoing PP, what are the stats & ages of each kid? Also what year is your Prius?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC