I just read this on Diono's FB page

ADS

lovemybabybug

I read on the comments that the RF to 2 didn't pass, only the part kids have to stay in boosters to 4'9" :( At least they are trying and it is a step in the right direction.

NannyMom

lovemybabybug said:
I read on the comments that the RF to 2 didn't pass, only the part kids have to stay in boosters to 4'9" :( At least they are trying and it is a step in the right direction.

That is correct. I've spent all weekend commenting on people posting this on FB. I was told that because our carseat laws are through Dept of health, we have to be able to provide loaner seats to anyone that needs them to comply with the new law. We just don't have the funding to be able to do that by October. But I'm hoping this will push us to find funding to be ready when this comes up again. And I do feel that Medchi will brin this up again.

Kat_Momof3

I'm sad that not all of it passed, but I'm happy they got what they did... small steps and all that... I hope we see more states getting legislation for upping the rearfacing minimums.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Would it be possible to propose a phase-in type of law that would eliminate the need to provide loaner seats?

For example, make the law so it applies to children born after January 1, 2012. That way children who are already 13 months old and legally facing forward in a combo seat would be encouraged but not required to get their kids a rear-facing seat; but children who are currently rear-facing (or at least are required to be rear-facing by law) don't get to turn around so early.

If I were writing the law I would also provide an exemption for children between age one and two who are over 35 or 40 lbs or over a certain height like maybe 36" (based on the the limitations of lower cost seats such as an Apt).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
NannyMom said:
I was told that because our carseat laws are through Dept of health, we have to be able to provide loaner seats to anyone that needs them to comply with the new law.

Really? I've never heard of anything similar in other states that increased car seat laws fairly recently (including my state). Hmm.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't understand what it means that car seat laws are "through" a particular department. Aren't laws passed by the legislature and signed by the governor?

I can certainly see logistics, pressure or recommendations from a department influencing the passage/defeat of a law, but not dictating it.

NannyMom

Really? I've never heard of anything similar in other states that increased car seat laws fairly recently (including my state). Hmm.

I don't understand what it means that car seat laws are "through" a particular department. Aren't laws passed by the legislature and signed by the governor?

I can certainly see logistics, pressure or recommendations from a department influencing the passage/defeat of a law, but not dictating it.

Maybe I misunderstood what I was told, that's a possibility.

Yes, the laws are passed by the legislature.

I will soon be working for someone that was on the committee, so maybe I can ask him for clarification.

NannyMom

Ok, I got the info right from the horse's mouth today. They didn't want rf until 2 in the law because 1- With the state of today's economy, she can't tell a parent they MUST buy a new seat if they have one that will otherwise work (for example- child has outgrown the seat rf, but still fits ff. Or child comes to a seatcheck with a FF only seat). 2- When carseats are still saying you can FF at 1, she can't see telling them they can't RF until 2.

I'm not saying I agree with the reasons, I'm just saying they are the reasons.

SignCuer

That's stupid, imo....

A wide variety of kids can fit in the 35 bucks Scenera to well beyond 2... (I still have a 4 yr old rfing in the Scenera) plus there are well reasonable seats to use.. including the ever used Dorel in my area... all of their convertible seats now rf to 40 so.....

If a kid comes through a seat check and under 2, then they are welcome to keep their seat and use it as soon their kid turn 2 but we would provide them a program seat to use until then... but not only that, Britax requires 2 years to use their Frontier... why can't the others do that? Argh...

I wasn't happy when it didn't pass but thought maybe they would have good reasons... this is dumb.

NannyMom

That's stupid, imo....

A wide variety of kids can fit in the 35 bucks Scenera to well beyond 2... (I still have a 4 yr old rfing in the Scenera) plus there are well reasonable seats to use.. including the ever used Dorel in my area... all of their convertible seats now rf to 40 so.....

If a kid comes through a seat check and under 2, then they are welcome to keep their seat and use it as soon their kid turn 2 but we would provide them a program seat to use until then... but not only that, Britax requires 2 years to use their Frontier... why can't the others do that? Argh...

I wasn't happy when it didn't pass but thought maybe they would have good reasons... this is dumb.
I know a child that was 40 pounds on his 2nd birthday. He would obviously not fit in a 35 pound Scenera. Infact, he had an Evenflo Tribute and moved into an Apex (this was like 4 yrs ago).

As for giving them a program seat, KISS doesn't have the funds to just give them out to every 1yr old that comes in FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC