Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Mazda CX-9 2010 and True Fit Premier install

I have a 2010 CX-9 and a Truefit Premier. It's time to add the headrest as my daughter is around 22 lbs now. Is it possible to have the carseat touching the front passenger seat? I can't find anything about it in the car manual.

I'm really having trouble getting the seat upright enough (yet around 35 degrees) without touching the passenger seat. I can't move the passenger seat any more.

And is there any trick to getting the seat to sit more upright with the ARB? It keeps wanting to slide up no matter how hard I pull on the LATCH strap to tighten it.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Mazda CX-9 2010 and True Fit Premier install

Hi and welcome!

The way I install, well, most seats, but especially the TF is this:

Take off the headrest if you have it on. Get in the car behind the seat and push in and down with your hips/legs as you tighten, at the angle you want. Getting the TFP pushed into the seat back really helps.

That said, the TF can lightly touch the front seat, but not be braced. You'd find a warning against things touching the seat back in the airbag section of your car's manual.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

My 2012 Mazda says nothing hanging, kicking, touching, resting, etc. against the passenger seat.

When you adjust the TFP, do you have the yellow recline foot out? If not, put it in. That should get it more upright.

Add weight by the feet area as you tighten everything down. Or try with the seatbelt and see if that changes how upright you can get it.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thanks for the tips. I will try them out tonight and let you all know.

That was a complete and utter pain in the @ss, but I got it nice and tight and at a 35 degree angle. Took using the seatbelt instead of latch and a lot of internal swearing and wrangling of seat. And I don't know how I'm going to get in between the seats to snap the cover back down.

The passenger seat is now too far forward for my husband to use it, so I think we're just going to have to turn her around the end of May when we head off on a trip. Until then, just on in-town trips, he'll ride in the back.
    Last edited by bloghappy; 04-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloghappy View Post
    That was a complete and utter pain in the @ss, but I got it nice and tight and at a 35 degree angle. Took using the seatbelt instead of latch and a lot of internal swearing and wrangling of seat. And I don't know how I'm going to get in between the seats to snap the cover back down.
    Sorry you had a hard time with it! The TF seems to be one of those seats with a learning curve. You wrangle the first couple of times, then you get it and can do it in no time. That's my experience, anyway.

For the cover, I understand needing to pull it back the first time to get a feel for it, but I never pull mine back anymore. There are 2 slits in the cover, one over each lock-off. I just route the LATCH strap or seatbelt under the cover, then use those flaps to tighten and close the lock-offs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

8. Thank You from: