Backless LATCHable boosters?

Suzibeck

Does anyone other than Clek and Diono make a backless LATCHable booster? Dd frequently forgets to buckle her booster and I'm so sick of climbing into the back of the van to buckle her seat. Sometimes, I forget to check and I fear dd4 could get a face full of booster in an accident. I'd love it if someone came out with an inexpensive backless that uses LATCH.

ADS

christineka

Those are it. I don't know that my rationalization is correct, but I think a super lightweight booster can't be too, too bad in an accident. I'm thinking something like a bubblebum or literider.

Suzibeck

She mostly uses an Ambassador right now, I've thought of a Bumble Bum because it seems pretty harmless.

soygurl

Yeah, I think a BubbleBum would be very unlikely to cause much damage as a projectile.

If I were in your position, another option I might consider (no flames please! :duck:), would be to rig up some sort of loose attachment to prevent the booster from being a projectile. I can't remember if the Ambassador has a shoulder belt adjuster (or how it connects if it does have one), but I'm thinking something along the lines of taking an old LATCH strap from another seat, and attaching it too the booster where the shoulder belt adjuster would attach (assuming it's not needed). Then attaching the LATCH strap to one of the LATCH anchors in the vehicle, being careful to leave some slack in the strap.

Obviously, this would be against the manufacturer's instructions, and NOT something I'd tell anyone else to do. But I'd consider it, if I were in your position. :twocents:

Suzibeck

No shoulder belt guide on the Ambassador. The Bumble Bum is looking pretty good. I think she will not like lack of leg support though, but maybe that would give her motivation to buckle another seat every time she gets out of the van.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
After all my years of driving around and braking and turning with backless boosters in the car, the only time any of them have ever moved is when the seatbelt isn't still hooked under the armrest :eek:
But the Diono/Sunshine Kids Monterey is also a choice, nice deep leg support on that one :) (I had to think for a minute what 'sgl' stood for...ah, backless Parkway with LATCH, right?)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I think the Bubblebum would be a good choice. Wayfair had the Santa Fe for around $50-ish for a long time (definitely not cheap, but cheapER, I guess). I wouldn't be terrified of a Harmony backless either - I know the literider is like air, lol.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Plus, you can leave the lap belt routed through the guide on one side even after the child gets out of the BubbleBum. That will keep it from going anywhere.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And the Ambassador the OP has really doesn't weigh anything, either. I guess the bottom is somewhat sharper than a Harmony, if we're imagining a high speed multi directional rollover where it could make it's way to another row and gouge someone :eek:

Suzibeck

You all have relaxed me. :p I will not spend money on a new booster at this time and just keep bugging dd to remember to buckle up that booster before she gets out. I guess like Julie said the only issue would be a multi directional rollover which isn't super common. I do feel better knowing it is buckled though. If I come across an excellent deal on a Parkway I may snatch that up, she still fits in our old style Parkway by height so she could use it (the new one) with or without the back.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
While I agree that I wouldn't panic about an unbuckled Ambassador, and don't want to panic the OP, I disagree that simply looping sound an armrest is enough. Here's my anecdotal evidence: I had a HBB unbuckled in my crash, belt looped thru the belt guide on the back AND around the armrest on the base. They separated in the collision; the back ended up laying crosswise across the neighboring seat and the base ended up upside down on the floor in front of the original seating position (no vehicle seatback in front, so I don't know how that may have changed the outcome.) The belt did not restrain the seat at all.

The crash was not a rollover but was a frontal followed by side (to the rear bumper) impact.

Not to say that's concrete anything, but it's enough to convince me to have a strong preference for LATCH-able boosters in my vehicle. OP, I would say the Santa Fe is probably your least expensive LATCHable bet. (BubbleBum sounds like a good plan, too.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC