Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 80SL in the center of the Civic, RXT outboard in Suburban

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Clicky!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So, I've pretty much decided (for now) I'll be using Radians in both cars.

Honda Civic, center

Chevy Suburban, outboard (captain's chairs)

I have one 80SL and one RXT

Which one do I put in which car?

The RXT in the Civic because the Civic is a tuna can on wheels?

Or the RXT in the Suburban because that seat is outboard, and put the 80SL in the center position in the Civic?

Vote. Discuss. Make up my mind. :p

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Neither car has side airbags in back. The Suburban does have them in the sides of the front seats, but I think they inflate forward. Although I'm not 100% sure.

Syllieann

I noticed I'm in the minority in the poll so I figured I'd say my reasoning...then people can tell me if/why it's flawed, lol. Since they're rf either way, the shell alone is enough to protect from vehicle intrusion and contain the head. The wings will limit side to side movement of the head inside the shell. The suburban weighs a boatload more than the civic and if you were to get in a side impact, it wouldn't be w/ a fixed object so the relative weight of the two vehicles would be important for energy transfer. That leaves the civic as the vehicle that would have greater acceleration of the head before impact with the shell-therefore wings go in that car.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think your logic makes sense. My gut feeling also is RXT in Civic and I was surprised that the poll so far is going so overwhelmingly in the other direction.

I'd love to hear some reasoning from some other people as well.

Also, in the Suburban, she'll be a whole lot higher than the point of impact with 85% of the other vehicles on the road. That's why I'm switching to the Radian in that car anyway; it's just a long way to lift her and the Radian's low profile makes loading her in easier.

creideamh

I just came back to the thread and haven't voted, but I was going to say the RXT in the Civic anyhow, primarily because the Suburban is so high there's less to worry about a car coming through your window :p (which is what I'm always paranoid about in my Prius, and why all my seats in there have headwings... lol)

Great explanation though, Syllieann! I wish my brain worked that way to figure it like that :p

Brigala

CPST Instructor
DH leans toward head wings in the Suburban because it's outboard.

Another unknown factor - once I put in the angle adjuster in the Civic, the RXT really limited my visibility. Right now the RXT is in the Suburban with the angle adjuster, and the 80SL is in the Civic without it; I took pity on someone locally and sold my "extra" one so I'm waiting for its replacement to arrive. ;) Anyway, once I put the angle adjuster in, it will be interesting to see whether visibility is blocked as badly with the 80SL as it was with the RXT and its wings.

It doesn't block visibility at all for DH because he's tall enough to see over it. :/

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I said RXT in Suburban for the sole purpose of it being outboard.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Bumping for more votes. :)

So far we're 4 to 1 in favor of putting the head wings in the outboard position on the Suburban. Interesting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC